Who will Beat Whom - Cars 3 & 4

Who will finish higher in the WDC?

• Total voters

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
So, Lewis extensively outscored Jenson in the last poll it's now time to turn our attention to cars 3 & 4. The "Young Charger", Nico Rosberg vs the "Old Master", Michael Schumacher.

Or there's the Chicken Korma option (you'll be pleased to know I may run out of these third way type gags long before we get to the tail end of the grid)

This I do find difficult to assess.

But I'm going to go for Schumi. He could leave me with egg on my face, and if it was anyone else I'd be sceptical, but he will be doing everything he possibly can to be perfectly prepared, mentally, physically, and I'm sure his natural speed will only have been slightly reduced by age in the last few years. He's got a great relationship with Ross Brawn and should be in a good position to direct the team and lead development, compared to Nico.

Plus I don't know how good Rosberg really is. I'm struggling to think of any outstanding performances from him. I know he's not had any really good cars, but nonetheless he "feels" to me more like a Coulthard sort of driver - always getting 95% out of the car but never hitting the real heights. Of course, both he and Coulthard have/had assets that some more naturally talented drivers lacked.

This is the hardest one of the lot IMO.

Nico didn't exactly have any competition from his team mate last year so his performance is difficult to quantify.

Michael on the other hand has been out of F1 for a few years and is over 40 now so naturally his performance won't be as good as it was in 2006.

On balance though I think MS will just edge it.
He seems to be able to wring the last bit out of every car he drives, and qualifying is going to be crucial for the upcoming season.

There is too much here we don't know to make an accurate assessment. Nico Rosberg had a good season in a Williams last year, but did not appear on the podium. At his best chance in Singapore he made a daft mistake. He's never won a race (officially). On the other hand, he's always looked promising and he knocked Nakajima into the high grass last year!

However, the biggest question is Michael Schumacher. The greatest F1 driver ever. But 3 years older, and not necessarily wiser. He says he's as fit as ever, but plenty of aging sportsmen have made that contention as they fall off the hill. Is 41 too old for F1? Quite possibly it is! Will he still be the Champion of old? Will strategic decisions go his way as they used to do at Ferrari?

I simply don't know, so I've had to go for the Chicken Korma.

I've gone for MS to just edge it for almost all the same reasons as those listed above. Obviously he won't enjoy the same contractual protection as he's had in the past but knowing his previous relationship with RB he should feel quite secure in the team. Nico must be wondering if he's made the right move. Loose and he can't beat a 41 year old, win and he's only beaten an ex-champ whose best days are behind him.

Brogan said:
teabagyokel said:
I simply don't know, so I've had to go for the Chicken Korma.
Watch out for splinters :D ;)

I'm watching out, but there's simply not the information required to make a judgement. Usually I dive into these things two-footed, but there is a lack of anything to go on regarding Schumacher's form.

Brogan said:
This is the hardest one of the lot IMO.

Well, there's a couple of difficult decisions coming up tbh. They won't all be easy! There's some very tight judgement calls down this road!

Schumacher, I don't rate Rosberg. It speaks a lot to me that Williams essentially let him go after 4 years to be replaced with a rookie and an old man.

I think Merc could struggle at the beginning of the season, and Rosberg will in all likelihood be crushed.

Hmmm, just had an idea for a little sweepstake/sub game...

We make a note of everyones predictions and see who got the most right after the season has finished.

We have:

Brogan - Hamilton, Schumacher
GeoffP - Hamilton, ...
snowy - Hamilton, ...
FB - Hamilton, ...
cider_and_toast - Hamilton, Schumacher
teabagyokel - Hamilton, Fence
GordonMurray - Hamilton, Schumacher
Boyle99 - Hamilton, ...

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Nico will shade Michael. The way I see it is that Michael will need all the winter testing to fully integrate with the team, new car and his own physical limitations. Whilst Nico will make quicker progress gelling with the car and will qualify better at the first few races. Michael will catch up, be strong mid season and go into the last part of the season slightly ahead. However the stresses and strains inside and outside the car will take their toll and Nico will fight back, scoring more heavily in the last few races.

However, should Brawn have the best car in the first part of the season or midway through then Ross will put all his weight behind Michael's 8th WDC bid and together they will blow Nico into the weeds.

Not sure if I responded to t'Mclaren thread, but I'm firmly in the Hamilton camp there.

I'm going to go against the grain on this one, (apart from the same-time post from Snowy) and say that not only will the young, fit and hungry Rosberg outscore Schumacher, but that come the last race of the season, Rosberg's partner will not be the one that started the season.

MS is not only 3 years out of F1, he also wasn't at his peak for the last 2 seasons. I wonder what motivation he will have when the hot/cold Brawn is failing to make Q3 and unable to score points?

This is a very hard one to call. As has been mentioned, we have no idea of Schumacher's form and how he is going to handle racing at over 40. On the other hand, Nico has never had a reliable yardstick to be measured against.

It's too close to call for me so I'm going to go chicken korma.

Brogan said:

We make a note of everyone's predictions and see who got the most right after the season has finished.

So if I go for the "Korma" option then do I get a 5, 10, 15 point swing in points at the end of the season? It's clear cut if I go for a certain driver but if I'm sitting on the fence what are the circumstances for success?

Boyle99 said:
Brogan said:

We make a note of everyone's predictions and see who got the most right after the season has finished.

So if I go for the "Korma" option then do I get a 5, 10, 15 point swing in points at the end of the season? It's clear cut if I go for a certain driver but if I'm sitting on the fence what are the circumstances for success?
Not sure, I hadn't really thought it through :D

Just thought it might be interesting to revisit all the predictions at the end of the season to see how right/wrong we were.

I just can't see MS going in for anything like this without a good level of confidence that he will at least be the team no1 - that coupled with Ross Brawn and I feel I'm going to be surprised and see a 41 year old have a resonable season, and beat Nico

I'm afraid I'm a fence sitter on this one as I'm not sure how good Rosberg will be in a competitive car and I'm not sure if Schumie is past it. It also remains to be seen if Brawn Mercedes will favour one driver over the other...

As I dodged missed the McLaren thread, I also need to add a belated vote. I would vote for Jenson! Jens is on a roll*, Mclaren will have produced a winner this year (thanks to Lewis' efforts in 2009! ;) ) which will benefit Jenson's smooth driving style and Lewis will be just edged out by his compatriot.

As for this thread, I vote for Rosberg. I mean, the shoe maker just won't cut it, after being out of the loop for a few years, and Rosberg will finally prove his worth! (Just you wait! Re-visit this thread at the end of the season and you'll be amazed! )

* OK, it's only a roll of one WDC so far, but it's a start!

Schumacher has acheived everything and he's not likely to have the speed he used to have and he could do a Mario Andretti and do a farewell year even if he's signed a multi year deal.

Rosberg has the youth and plenty of experience so should put Michael in the shade if he has the luck.

Back
Top Bottom