Where would you like to see F1 go?

Thing is, when F1 becomes the pinnacle of Motorsport and useful in any aspect, they have to make the rules strict as it becomes too easy for drivers to drive the cars.

What the sport needs, is a breath of fresh air, time to definitely get rid of Bernie, he's done his part, but he's stayed for too long, time for him and F1 to move on.

How do you expect the sport to survive when you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for tickets and then the same to watch it on tv?

Also, with the cost cutting, a lot of restrictions have to apply, so it's a fine line.

Add to that, there's always rule restrictions. Some excellent innovation comes in, it gets banned for next year. The sport is pushing away key people.

I would like them to get rid of DRS, loosen the engine restrictions, shorten the front wing, make the cars a little more harder to drive but get rid of the gimmicks like DRS and KERS as that would be a bit too much.

And, even though the sport may not survive, put me in charge. :D

I have to say i think cider_and_toast has hit the nail on the head. Harsh reality i know but I think the way costs are continuing to go up it's gonna be harder tracks and teams to stay in the sport. I really honestly sense a breakaway will be upon us in a few years or so.

Personally, I think there is a delicate balance involved. The formula has to remain ahead, and at the pinnacle of single seaters, whilst remaining safe. Any change to F1 may end up needing changes down the hierarchy in order to maintain the order of precedence.

Personally, I would like to see not necessarily a reduction in reliance on aero, but a removal of the differentiation between the teams due to aero. Either have stock parts which all teams have to use (reducing cost etc) or homologating parts of the car with no development allowed, except in certain areas.

I would also limit the number of changes that a driver can make from the car. Remove all the buttons from the car (other than Jenson!!) so no fuel map changes, no diff changes. Allow brake bias, gear change, pit radio and drinks. Larger wheels and low profile tyres to allow the teams to make more mechanical difference.

I would like to try and allow the teams to make the real differences through innovation, as opposed to making a minute change to the shape of a wing, or a side pod. with freedom in the non aero regs (apart from Engine) this could be possible. Engine regs could be loosened up in the areas which are likely to aid crossover technology, e.g. KERS/Turbo charging etc.

Any engine, any fuel, any tyres. Ground effect, KERS, moveable driver controlled aero.
Free tickets to the British GP, to be held at Pembrey, with free pies to all CTA members on them identifying me. Free pies for me to distribute, to me.

Keep only these rules: Max car size, max engine displacement and number of cylinders, max wing size, min ride height, smooth bodies, 26 per race. Pretty much cleverest team wins.

I understand what you're saying Galahad but what would happen with new entry teams? You have a situation in Rugby at the moment where there are premiership share holders in the Championship (Bristol, Newcastle and Leeds) with new teams going up such as London Welsh having to fight there way into the club. I can't see the sport's shares divided between the current teams and then those who join the sport getting a percentage of each teams holdings. Then you would get teams such as Ferrari wanting a greater allocation based on their historical rights (that they believe they should have) and so on and so on. It would take a team of lawyers to crack that one.

There is one big problem with part homogolation and that is what happens if a team ends up down a rabbit hole in development which only becomes apparent after the first race? That team ends up never being able to catch up. The problem with removing stuff from the car is that it's a technical step backwards. We've already acknowledged this in F1 in so much as my car has power steering, abs and traction contol and costs a few grand but a multi million pound F1 car is banned from having it. If racing has got to the point where to make it better you haveto make it less technological and less developmental than it was before then it can no longer be considered the peak of it's field. Pirreli hit another nail on the head when they wrote in Autosport that another tyre war would be bad for F1. This is absolutely true. Pirelli are currently making tyres that as we know, are acting likethe tyres of old. They go off if not managed and they are unpredictable. Introduce another tyre company back into the game and they would have to make tyres that last and are predictable because that would be the only way to get a better tyre than the opposition. As i posted above, for me, the whole thing needs a tiop to bottom change as there are no longer any avenues the sport can go down that will advance it in a way that retains the heart of what we want F1 to be.

(sorry for any errors, this rant wasproduced on a very small mobile phone keypad. Those with the power feel free to edit/correct :) )

cider_and_toast - I can only agree, I think it would only work with a franchise system, so any new entrants would need to buy out an existing team.

Of course, you could start with more than 12 franchises, potentially.

Back
Top Bottom