Where to for Mark Webber?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Mark's contract at Red Bull runs out at the end of the year and Christian Horner has suggested that he will retire should Red Bull not offer him an extension. Mark has now come out and said he would like to stay in F1. So, where to for Mark Webber? He's surprised me, in the same way Jenson Button did, when given a competitive car but who would give Webber a drive for 2012. Somehow I can't imagine Red Bull wanting him for another season with their phalanx of junior drivers lined up for a seat at Toro Rosso and the Red Bull senior team.

Forgetting that Massa has a contract until the end of 2012.Is currently outperforming Alonso.
And Masa leaving Ferrari is predicted every year and has not happened.

If Red Bull want to win the Constructors, they need a strong No.2 driver alongside Vettel, so they should either retain Webber, or look into the services of Felipe Massa - which would leave a seat open at Ferrari, however Perez might get that seat, and there's no guarantee that Ferrari would even want to sign Webber.

If he isn't retained by Red Bull, I don't see him being in a competitive car ever again. I think his best shot would be Renault. I don't think he will retire.

I don't see either of the Toro Rosso drivers being promoted to the top team. Buemi and Alguersauri are distinctly unimpressive. Maybe Nico or Koby :) could get the Red Bull seat. I think that Mark had his big chance last season and blew it. I don't see another top-tier team being eager to take him on, due to his age, if nothing else.

Forgetting that Massa has a contract until the end of 2012.Is currently outperforming Alonso.
And Masa leaving Ferrari is predicted every year and has not happened.
Mind you, Massa was also ahead of Alonso at this stage last season wasn't he?
What about Lotus Renault, on the assumption that Kubica doesn't make it back and Heidfeld doesn't do enough to impress?

I don't see any top team getting Webber, maybe Red Bull retaining him. He causes problems to every team he goes too...he's lost his qualifying speed (well I can't be too sure as Vettel is a speed demon for qualifying). The only other team I can see him going to is Renault as Chad says....

Quite early for him to retire though eh? He is only 34? or 35? Mind you with the testing ban some teams are looking for experience...they certainly did last year...but in the future...not much judging by the Sauber and Toro Rosso line up.

Mind you, Massa was also ahead of Alonso at this stage last season wasn't he?
What about Lotus Renault, on the assumption that Kubica doesn't make it back and Heidfeld doesn't do enough to impress?

Yeah, but that was because Alonso had an engine blow in Malaysia.
Lotus Renault is the best option for him, if Kubica won't make it back in time or doesn't recover properly. I don't think he will be heading back to Williams.

Yeah, but that was because Alonso had an engine blow in Malaysia.

Kind of. He was two points behind but only lost two points due to his engine penalty.

Lotus Renault is the best option for him, if Kubica won't make it back in time or doesn't recover properly. I don't think he will be heading back to Williams.

Don't imagine Williams is a good idea, no! However, if Barrichello and Schumacher leave the sport next year that'll open up gaps; can see him taking perhaps one of them at some team!

Kind of. He was two points behind but only lost two points due to his engine penalty.

Alonso was driving in front of Massa in malaysia, thus losing more than two points.

Don't imagine Williams is a good idea, no! However, if Barrichello and Schumacher leave the sport next year that'll open up gaps; can see him taking perhaps one of them at some team!

If Schumacher leaves Di Resta will be right there to take his place. Now if Rosberg also leaves, than there might be a great chance that Webber will fill his seat.

He's surprised me, in the same way Jenson Button did, when given a competitive car but who would give Webber a drive for 2012

I think that Mark had his big chance last season and blew it. I don't see another top-tier team being eager to take him on, due to his age, if nothing else.

All the current drivers could do the business, given a competitive car - I remember being impressed when Montoya, Coulthard, Kimi, Kovi, Jenson, et al, joined F1. Some went on to become champions, others didn't. They all had the ability but not necessarily the equipment (or luck, whatever you want to call it)

Siffert may be right in saying Mark blew it last year - and none of us know exactly why. But to say he is too old is a nonsense - Damon Hill was 36 when he finally made WDC and Nigel Mansell, older still, at 39

I like the gobby Aussie and hope that someone will see that, given the right equipment, he can still cut the mustard - China was an example of that surely?

Trulli still has a seat and Mark pisses all over him - so there is hope for him yet

Surely at the very least he would be attractive because he brings insight into how the redbull works?
A decent driver who could bring knowledge on the top car, good for a 1 year deal? (although the new regs may be a slight problem regarding this if they do come in in 2013) Nonetheless - nick got a drive with Sauber last year due to having tested with Pirelli (and who is kindest on their tyres??) I'm sure Webber could bring insight, determination and knowledge to many teams and as such there will be several that would be interested in the Aussie.

Surely at the very least he would be attractive because he brings insight into how the redbull works?
A decent driver who could bring knowledge on the top car, good for a 1 year deal? (although the new regs may be a slight problem regarding this if they do come in in 2013) Nonetheless - nick got a drive with Sauber last year due to having tested with Pirelli (and who is kindest on their tyres??) I'm sure Webber could bring insight, determination and knowledge to many teams and as such there will be several that would be interested in the Aussie.

Sauber where also kind on the Bridgestone tyres....

Trulli still has a seat and Mark pisses all over him - so there is hope for him yet

I mean, if you think about it, Team Lotus would be mad if they kept Trulli and passed over the opportunity to have some RB7 secrets added to their team!

I don't think the driver will know many of the teams "secrets"...maybe a few things....like David Coulthard using McLaren's steering wheel for the Red Bull car.

Good point Jru.

I must admit I was surprised Mark was back again this year, I expected him to either retire or be retired.
But I guess being one win away from the WDC made him think he was in with another chance of winning it this year.

I have a feeling though this is his last year in F1, unless he's prepared to accept a drive at Lotus or similar.

Unless Lotus is a consistent points finisher by the end of the year Webber wouldn't go to them next year

Back
Top Bottom