When worlds don't collide but look as they do.

Incidentally I learned something new while surfing the net yesterday. Apparently why so many predominany muslim countries have a moon crescent next to a star as national emblem on their country's flag has to do the image of the Moon and Venus when they're in conjuction, an image that was particularly potent with muslim clerics back in the old days.

As in:

article-1278904-099AF956000005DC-306_634x636.jpg

Well I expect for those of you enjoying, summer sunshine and heatwaves it will be a beautiful sight. Spare a thought for those of us who haven't had a sunny day in weeks and are still waiting for the temperature to rise to summertime levels. Not a chance of seeing any conjunctions round here.

It was a clear blue sky all day. Since the north side of the Thames valley obscures a fair chunk of the north west sky I got out my binoculars, camera and tripod and headed off to Winter Hill which is on the south side of the Thames valley. I spent a nice 45 minutes waiting for the cloud to clear and drying the windscreen of the car as it kept on getting damp.

Since we moved in here there have been at least two eclipses of the moon and a partial eclipse of the sun. All have been hidden by cloud, I think a move to the Sahara is on the cards.

However you won't get the same eclipses in the Sahara as you do here, so whilst you have a lovely clear sky, you still wouldn't have seen them.
:)
Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Tonight I had a beautiful view of Jupiter and Venus, now a little way apart of course. To be truthful I did see a quick flash of about three seconds which may or may not have been the conjunction but it was too fleeting to be sure. When it came to the total eclipse of the sun which occurred over Cornwall we were in an area of France where it was about 80% so we saw more than those who had paid good money to go to Mevagissey.

We lived in Cornwall at the time, and it was totally cloudy. Of course. But just as it was getting totally dark a cold wind sprang up. It was very eerie.

Back
Top Bottom