What's in a name?

F1Yorkshire...
Williams?

Didn't HRT start as Campos? (Before they actually started racing that is!)

I suppose Sauber have always had their name on the grid as well (Since 1993) - either as Sauber or BMW Sauber....

(I know this is besides the point, but quickly, a history of teams on the current grid)....

Toleman->Benetton->Renault->Lotus
(Tyrrell->)BAR->Honda->Brawn->Mercedes (I normally discount the Tyrrell link, as BAR merely bought their entry, and whilst they ran the team for one season (1998), the BAR entity was a completely new factory, workforce etc etc.
Williams
Ferrari
McLaren->McLaren+Project 4=McLaren international... (How's that ExtremeNinja)
Minardi->Torro Rosso
Stewart->Jaguar->Red Bull
Sauber->BMW Sauber->Sauber
Lotus->Caterham
Jordan->Midland F1->Spyker->Force India
Manor Motorsport->Virgin Racing->Marussia Virgin Racing->Marussia Racing
Campos->Hispania Racing Team ->HRT

I think my main problem with the current 'Lotus' team is not the change of name, teams change names, but the adopting of a name of another great F1 team. For me Lotus ended in the mid-90's.

RasputinLives Guess you don't like the current 'Senna' either.

Interesting point actually. Bruno's Father's Surname was Lalli, His Mothers name is Senna. Usually in Portuguese naming customs both names can be used but generally it is the Paternal name that is used. Bruno has chosen to use his Maternal name.

You may think this could be to honour his dead uncle but his father also was unlucky enough to die in a motor accident as well so why not carry on his fathers name?

Well Ayrton's Father's name was Da Silva and his mothers name was Senna so he shouldn't have been Senna either really.

Viscount I'm not a big fan of the other Senna no - not because of his use of the name Senna bit because he's a bit poo.

ExtremeNinja - I do accept that they are called Lotus, I'm not denying it, I'm just not incouraging it.

Actually, Williams started out as Frank Williams Racing, running a Brabham for Piers Courage in 1969. In 1970, they ran the De Tomaso will tragic results, Courage dying in the car.

McLaren have always been McLaren, the only other team to never have changed their name since they were formed are Ferrari and possibly Hispania Racing Team but that's debatable!
Even Ferrari has changed names (although Ferrari has always being part of it). Source: wikipedia

"Scuderia Ferrari" (1950–1960, 2011–present)
"Scuderia Ferrari SpA SEFAC" (1961–1989)
"Scuderia Ferrari SpA" (1990–1996)
"Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro" (1997–2011)

Some people are getting entrant and team names mixed up; it's not surprising though as even the F1.com site makes a lot of mistakes between official team name, official entrant name and official constructor name.

The current McLaren designations for example are:
Team: McLaren
Entrant: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
Constructor: McLaren-Mercedes

Likewise for Ferrari it's:
Team: Ferrari
Entrant: Scuderia Ferrari
Constructor: Ferrari

Actually, Williams started out as Frank Williams Racing, running a Brabham for Piers Courage in 1969. In 1970, they ran the De Tomaso will tragic results, Courage dying in the car.
Although, that entity was sold to Walter Wolf, Frank Williams was sacked as manager in 1976, and he then set up his own team (Williams Grand Prix engineering) in 1977, and they began running customer March chassis....

Back
Top Bottom