What is Bernie up to now?

Is it any big surprise that Bernie played the trump card? Money talks and Gribkowsky rots in jail. This sordid tale just adds to the legend of Ecclestone. For better or worse.

And F1 has nothing to worry about if they keep throwing up races like we've seen this year. No thanks to Mr. E whatsoever who fought these engine regs til the last moment.

I personally don't give a damn about Bernie or what he is up to. What interests me about F1 is the action on the track.

The major criticisms aimed at Bernie are usually about taking F1 to bland tracks in countries with no F1 tradition where locals can't afford to attend and admission prices in general and so on, but it would be very naive indeed to think that anybody else in charge would do things any differently.

So there's no point on dwelling about that, and it doesn't stop us from enjoying races like the last one, and saving up a bit of the old £££ to occasionally attend one every now and then...

I think, after years of building the biggest ship on the high seas, Mr Ecclestone's prime concern these days is arranging the deck chairs to give those who can afford it a better view of the ship going down. I agree, on his inevitable departure from the scene one day, the various vested interests will revive the cold war term of "Mutually Assured Distruction" but maybe that's what the F1 needs.

I know a lot of the things that make it into the public sphere from the mouth of Bernie are most certainly said with a tounge firmly jammed in a cheek however, he has shown himself to be further and further out of touch with the, and I hesitate to use this word, sport.

While he was head of FOCA and championing the teams, he ensured the teams behaved in a collective way for their greater good. Since then however, it has been for the greater good of the investor that has occupied Bernies thoughts. This has meant that the teams in short order returned to fighting for their share of the pie without thought of the longer term. (Though you could argue that this was the case when they let Bernie run things in the first place). We have seen this time and time again with the two or three teams on top having a virtual veto over rule changes or dictating the sporting direction. A classic example being the double points joke. Totto Wolff has come out and stated they were wrong to vote for it. Why did he vote for it before the season began? Because no one could imagine anything other than a Red Bull in front. Now however, the rule is could massively effect Mercedes season and suddenly Wolff breaks ranks and pubicially announces his now lack of support for double points. I can think of a sentance and it contains the words no and Sherlock !!

A Bernie'less F1 would be so much better if the teams are given more control and can work together or risk mutual failure however, the more likely outcome is that the teams end up destorying themselves.

But to rip it all up and start again would be no real problem in my book.

Last edited:
Could someone tell me when it was that test cricket was played in China? There is as much interest there for cricket as there is for F1, probably more because the Chinese are gamblers.

This is simply disgusting. It's about time someone took the Germans to the European Court under equality law. Hopefully CVC will decide that the bad publicity was the last straw.

The German code of criminal procedure allows everyone who has committed an offence - not a crime - to utilize the right. A judge in every individual case must rule whether it can apply to the accused.

The evidence in this case was weak. From what I know, is that no witness has brought firm evidence against Ecclestone which is one of the reasons why the court agreed to close the case upon a payment of 100 Mio. $.

Bernie is not guilty... nor is he innocent...
Once again Bernie defies the laws of classical physics!

No Ecclestone isn't that special. One is innocent, unless proven guilty. Therefore Ecclestone is innocent, even if common belief has it that he has committed the crime he was charged with.

A classic example being the double points joke. Totto Wolff has come out and stated they were wrong to vote for it. Why did he vote for it before the season began? Because no one could imagine anything other than a Red Bull in front. Now however, the rule is could massively effect Mercedes season and suddenly Wolff breaks ranks and pubicially announces his now lack of support for double points. I can think of a sentance and it contains the words no and Sherlock !!
How would the double points for last race masively effect Mercedes' season? They're lightyears ahead in the WCC. I don't see anyone coming close anytime soon, so I don't think the double points will affect their position in the WCC.
It might give Ricciardo an outside shot at the WDC though, if RBR will improve in the 2nd half.

Right so what if Hamilton is 26 points ahead going in to the last race and DNF's while Rosberg wins ?? Or what if it was the other way around ?? How much negative press will that dump on Mercedes.

Mercedes are the team that stand to be affected most by the double points rule which ever way the chips fall.

It depends what you mean by "affected" though, because to the Mercedes brand that would guarantee a massive amount of exposure, which is the reason for any major car manufacturer to compete in F1. Brand awareness and all that... no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to... publicity.

cider_and_toast so what? The points system is what it is. I don't remember a lot of negative press when Senna became WDC due to the dropped points.
Besides that, I agree with Incubus, it's publicity and that's what Mercedes are in it for. I remember a spokesman of Festina (the sponsor of a cycling team that got thrown out of the Tour de France 1998 due to doping infringments) that the sales went up after that.

As Massa would know, the title isn't over until that trophy is in your hand. There could still be a shift in the title race. What if Charlie decides to ban linked suspension? What if a Red Bull / Ferrari upgrade puts their season back on track, what if a Merc upgrade derails their season? What if Rosberg or Hamilton are unable to complete the season for some reason?

Granted they say there's no such thing as bad publicity but I'm not so sure about that.

Wombcat there are a number of reasons why there wasn't as much negative press (which by the way there was from some quarters) about Prost / Senna. The fact is that that rule had been in place for some time, it wasn't designed to improve the show and there was no such thing as internet forums to debate the why and what.

The double points rule was brought in to improve the show and backed by teams who were worried that one team would run away with it. Bernie, in backing it, pretty much did a complete about turn on his "he who wins the most races should win the title" medal system of a few years ago.

Furthermore, the best races rule effected all races evenly where as the double points rule makes a win at the God awful Abu Dhabi circuit worth more than Spa, Canada, Brazil or wherever.

It's wrong on every level.

Could someone tell me when it was that test cricket was played in China?
_69095866_chinawomenteam_getty_624.jpg

Sorry Bill, I know it's not test cricket, but I couldn't resist.

cider_and_toast there are other sports where the results in the final round count more than others. In cyclecross the last race for the worldcup used to have double points, same in speedskating. Various footballleagues have a play-off system.

Although I agree that the double points are slily, I think only the hardcore fans will really make a fuss about it. Most casual viewers take the pointssystem as a given.

Granted they say there's no such thing as bad publicity but I'm not so sure about that.

------------------------------------------------------------

Well in this case it certainly won't hurt Mercedes's profile if the title gets decided on the double points rule and if there's a little bit of controversy about how one driver from their all-conquering Mercedes team would have otherwise beaten the other driver from their all-conquering Mercedes team.

Back
Top Bottom