Vitaly Petrov

Vitaly Petrov started racing when he was 17 unlike most top drivers he started racing late and not in go-karts, but Lada cars. In 2002 when racing in the Lada Cup he dominated the championship, winning all rounds and amassing the maximum points possible of 500.

So the talent was there.

In 2003, Petrov began racing in Formula Renault, racing in the Italian Championship for Euronova Racing, finishing 19th overall. He also competed in some rounds of the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0.He also finished fourth in the British Formula Renault Winter Series at the end of the year, taking one win.He also made his debut in Euro Formula 3000 at Cagliari.

Not a great first sseason in single seaters.

However in 2006 he had a more promising year. He raced in Euroseries 3000 with Euronova Racing. He finished third in the standings, scoring nine podiums in eighteen races including four wins at Hungaroring, Mugello Circuit, Silverstone Circuit and Circuit de Catalunya.Also he participated in the Brno round of the 2006 F3000 International Masters season, where he took a pole position.

After that, he had inconsistent seasons in GP2, racing there for 3 years, he came good in 2009
and finished as runner-up to the dominant Nico Hülkenberg in the championship, winning twice at Istanbul Parkand Valencia Street Circuit.

He then made his debut in Formula 1 for Renault, he had the "pay driver" tag over him, in his first two races he looked good for solid points, but had DNF's for various reasons. In the 2010 season he was inconsistent just like the most of his career, he showed flashes of brilliance, but made a lot of crucial errors. His career seemed to have gone, but managed to put in a strong performance in the last race. Some may say that it was that performance that saved his seat, others may say it was because of the sponsorship he brought.

The 2011 seems to be a more consistent season for him and seems to have dropped the "pay driver" tag, putting in a blinding race in Australia getting his first podium in Formula 1. He has had a lot of strong performances this season, his qualifying has been his main asset.

I find Petrov an exciting driver, I had liked him 2010 but I had major doubts over him as he seemed to have a very poor 2010 season and thought that the sponsorship kept him his seat. However, I have changed my opinion in 2011, he seems like a racer, he's got balls, he's quick in qualifying and is proving to be consistent. For me, the most improved driver on the grid from 2010.

What do you guys think about Vitaly Petrov?

Frank Williams is not in charge of running the team anymore though he is a major shareholder. Adam Parr appears to be calling the shots

If Petrov can get some rich Russian oil billionaire to back the team then he could turn the seat in his favour...even the Russian government to back him..though may not please the Austrian owners of the team

Toto Wollfes holdings in Williams.He is the only Austrian share owner.No one can own more than 49.9 of the share.
Sir Frank Williams CBE, one of the members of the Board of Directors, holding directly 5,670,000
Shares representing 56.7% of the issued share capital of the Issuer as at 7 February 2011, is selling up
to 640,000 Shares under the Offering.
Mr Head, one of the members of the Board of Directors, holding directly 2,350,000 Shares representing
23.5% of the issued share capital of the Issuer as at 7 February 2011, is selling up to 1,769,383 Shares
under the Offering.
Mr Wolff, one of the members of the Board of Directors, holding indirectly (through WHL and WIHL)
1,630,000 Shares representing 16.3% of the issued share capital of the Issuer as at 7 February 2011, is
selling in the event of the exercise of the Over-Allotment Option up to 330,000 Shares under the Offering.
The Selling Shareholders have entered into the WHL Agreement with WHL whereby, dependent on the
success of the Offering, they may become obliged to transfer (in the ratio 70:30 as between them) up to
the value of 228,130 Shares in Shares and/or cash to WHL (provided always that Sir Frank Williams
CBE will not be required to transfer any Shares if that would result in his holding of Shares falling beneath
50.1% of the issued share capital of the Issuer). Dependent on the outcome of the Offering, it is
possible that up to 240,670 Shares may be transferred by WHL to the Selling Shareholders (in the ratio
70:30 as between them).

Toto Wollfes holdings in Williams.He is the only Austrian share owner.No one can own more than 49.9 of the share.

Frank would rather see the team go to grave with him than sell up and give ownership away

But he is no longer involved in running of the team,

Then why did you say this

If someone else comes in with more money to run the team or sponsor it. They've got more weight and power especially if they know money is tight for the team.

Frank has been surviving with the team the last few years having sponsored drivers with plenty of money. Previously Frank in Williams success days could ignore the pressures of sponsors or engine partners to a point

Now if some Russian billionaire come in with a lot of money with Petrov I think Frank would want them and shove out the Austrians if that was the case along .

He would still want to be the main owner so the other owners will have to relinquish some of theirs. Frank and Patrick could sell some of their shares to give the Russians more ownership than the Austrians
-----------------------

Remember the share price of Williams has dropped since it was issued on the stock market makes it easier for someone else to buy it up if it were and own more than the Austrian

I am well aware of the Williams GP Holdings share price.Williams GP Holdings also includes Williams Flybrid power.
That is why when they went right down to €12 each I decided that it was a good time buy them.
They at €16.80 today.

You might do well to read this.
http://www.williamsf1.com/news/view/2028 Speaking first of Pastor, AT&T Williams Team Principal Frank Williams said, “Pastor has proven this year that he is not only quick but also that he is able to maintain a consistent and strong race pace. Pastor has been responsible for all of our forays into Q3 in 2011 and his race at Monaco was outstanding. Pastor has also settled into the team at Williams very

well, contributing strongly in the factory and with our partners. He will play a critical role in 2012 as we rebuild the team and move forward.”

There is still a possibility that Caterham want to part with Trulli and pay off his contract and I don;t blame them because they will not get anything more out of Trulli

The rumours have been going on for a while an now it's official, Petrov has replaced Trulli at Caterham.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97552

I think it'll be a good thing. By signing Trulli Caterham enhance their Renault/Lotus link, Petrov brings more money to develop the car and with Trulli's power steering problems last season and therefore difficulty to 'feel' the car, Petrov will also be able to give better feedback to the engineers.

To be honest I'm a bit dissapointed Petrov is back. I think he had 2 years and we didn't really see anything from him and with the how sparse F1 seats are I think we've replaced one blocker (Trulli) with another. Would have liked to have seen them give Van Der Garde a go - or Rossi liked they planned to next season.

He got a podium last year and had some good races. I think he has value. Value enough to be afforded another year to mature. He is going backwards down the grid, so it's not like everything is falling into his lap.

He got a podium last year and had some good races. I think he has value. Value enough to be afforded another year to mature. He is going backwards down the grid, so it's not like everything is falling into his lap.

Guess not - just rather see the seat go to someone on their way up than on the way down. He may prove me wrong - we'll see.

I don't think he's floundered, he's done a workman like job but that's it. Wouldn't F1 be better if there were lots of young guns getting drives than a sea of journey men making up the last 80% of the grid?

Back
Top Bottom