Current Valtteri Bottas

Il_leone

Champion Elect
It was clearly team orders ! i think Valtteri will have to be No 2 seeing how fast Ferrari and Vettel are unless he ups his pace

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
So much for Mercedes saying that they give their drivers equality.

I wonder if we will ever get "Valtteri is faster than you Lewis".

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
I wonder how many people who were against Ferrari doing it in Germany approve of Mercedes doing it in Bahrain.:whistle:

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I think it's very sad, it ruins Motorsport. Why shouldn't Hamilton and Vettel work for their race position on track, if they are so superior let's see their superiority on track. In a way it's a sort of race fixing, I'm surprised the bookies don't do something about it.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Because people forget Motorsport has, and will always be, a team sport. We focus far too much on the individual. Think how many people have worked hard to get those cars prepared and to the speed they can get. In reality the driver is just the final part of a well put together team. They just get all the focus. Bit like the last leg in a relay race.

marksawatsky

Podium Finisher
Contributor
I wish team orders weren't necessary but I'm sure any team would rather have their drivers finish the WDC in 1st and 3rd than 2nd and 3rd. It looks like this season is going to be a fight between Lewis and Seb, even if Bottas gets in the mix now and again. Mercedes could stay out of it and let its drivers take points off each other and finish 2nd and 3rd (McLaren comes to mind with Lewis and Fernando) or have team orders and ensure Lewis maximizes points. When it was a Nico/Lewis battle, they could afford to be hands off but that is not the case anymore.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
How about best way to summarise motorsport is compare it to cycling especially Tour De France .

You have a team of riders but the whole focus of the team is make sure the lead rider wins even if you think you're a better rider which certainly caused problems when Lance Armstrong was in the same team as Alberto Contador and lately both Mark Cavendish and Chris Froome as part of Team Sky had to defer to Bradley Wiggins.

It is a team sport that ultimate purpose is to ensure their best driver wins . Is it wrong ? Well that has been happening since F1 began so its hardly new..

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Bottas has to show that this weekend was not a flash in the pan and that he will be much closer in future races

Lewywo4

Race Winner
Bill Boddy I think people had sympathy for Felipe thinking it was a year after his accident and waiting for a fairy tale story which never happened and was stolen from him
I don't believe that Mercedes asked Bottas to move over for Hamilton, while Valteri was leading the race. The same thing can't be said for Felipe at Hockenheim in 2010. When he was given that infamous call that, " Fernando is faster than you, " while I think that Massa was leading the race.

Last edited:

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I'm not a fan of Valterri, but he may be a really good driver, well in the Mercedes anyway. He should at least be allowed to prove himself against his team mate.

I hate team orders.

I wonder if part of the negotiating with Hamilton and the team, after Rosbergs sudden departure, was that Hamilton was undisputed number 1 ?

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Let's not make any bones about this. If Mercedes had been facing a competitive Ferrari for the last three years Rosberg fate would have been the same as Bottas's now.

They can talk about 'the show' and 'racing equality' all they like but it's all smoke they're blowing up our arse. Their number 1 priority is for Merc to win and they Don't give a crap about anything else. Which is at it should be.

(Which is why I never trust any race they are in with a team who has their customer engines.)

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
Bottas was hardly showing the necessary skill to challenge Vettel either, was he?

If the "Number 2" proves faster, there's no team that'll pull them over. He had proved himself slower at the time of the decision.

Felipe Massa showed you don't necessarily stay number 2 back in 2008.

marksawatsky

Podium Finisher
Contributor
Also remember that Bottas has a one year contract, he might be playing long game and playing ball so he can get a multi year contract

Top Bottom