Television Top Gear

Not a publicity stunt but there's no such thing as bad press.

I just wouldn't worry too much about Clarkson getting the boot. Top Gear makes so much money for BBC worldwide it's too valuable to drop.

So chances of the LafFerrari / Porsche 918 / McLaren P1 showdown are looking even slimmer :(

I notice in that BBC story they repeat the assertion that Clarkson used the 'n' word on the broadcast footage when he quite clearly obscured it.

Top Gear used to be such an entertaining show, full of very clever humour and genuinely very funny. Sadly it began to pass its use by date a couple of seasons back when so much of it ceased to be automotive. Clarkson's arrogance and conceit has ruined the show for everyone concerned with its production, including James May and Richard Hammond. Though both will continue to be employed on other shows, I doubt whether the same will apply for Jeremy Clarkson. Someone needs to point out to him that humour aimed at different nationalities and ethnic groups is not very funny for those it targets when they are unable to respond.

Last edited:
Look - I can find Clarkson to be immensely irritating and self-serving on occasion, but he also makes me laugh frequently. It is for this ability I find him to be a TV treasure - otherwise we will end up with Ant & Dec, or Clare Balding, or somebody equally PC, bland & dreary presenting every damned thing on our TVs. There aren't enough decent characters anymore, and there is room on our screens for a boorish oaf acting like a tit for an hour or so on a Sunday.

The BBC seems pathetically eager not to offend, or test boundaries anymore. It's really rather depressing to see...

I guess I'm just different to most other people when it comes to spending my very limited "off" time watching TV.

I can't think of a single program I watch on the BBC, or ITV - it's just banal dross for the most part.

Perhaps Clarkson can stand in for Cameron in the upcoming debates?

Road of Bones ..... I agree with all you say including the boorish oaf comment, my major issue is humour ceases to be funny when it's at others expense who are unwittingly used to be a part of the joke. To be honest the intelligent very funny moments come from James May in particular and Richard Hammond. Top gear could replace Clarkson retain May and Hammond and the show could continue. You can be sure of one thing Clarkson couldn't carry the show without Hammond and May, It would be a hell of a wake up call if he realised that.

Last edited:
Well as one of the brain dead fans who watch Top Gear, I shall be sorry if the show is axed, or worse, made politically correct with a new set of presenters being boring and technical over the workings of electric cars.

Back
Top Bottom