The return of BMW?

Not that I am rising to the bait but of the 11 teams currently on the grid 3 are registered with the FIA as being British (Lotus, McLaren and Williams) whilst all are based in the UK with the exception of Ferrari, Sauber and Toro Rosso. Make of that what you will.
Anyway, my point was that there is a significant Germanic element to Red Bull which is likely to appeal to BMW.
I don't know why you feel the need to explain yourself it is obvious that RedBull are Austrian they even have their own track in Austria, I believe it is called the A1 ring or something like that...

It's like BP aren't British it is mostly owned by the Americans but that didn't stop them giving us flack when that oil pipe erupted, come to think of it Wessex water who I pay my water rates to are owned by the Americans as well and both the Severn Bridges are owned by the French, and most of the railways in Britain are owned by the Germans....

Lets face it most of Britain is owned by other countries that are not British so how we can claim British rights over motorsport is beyond me...

Last edited:
But Red Bull definitely don't have the option to go Mercedes...

I don't know. On the one hand it's tempting to decline Red Bull for Mercedes applications because it reduces chances of Mercedes-AMG world championships. On the other hand, it results in a much higher chance of Mercedes winning a title with one of its teams.

This said, if I was Red Bull I would want a works engine supplier. I think that leaves BMW or Renault. I doubt Hondai will supply Red Bull and not in near term under works agreement.

I'd like to see BMW Sauber again

As a BMW owner and M Fan, I would hate to see BMW hook up with a shit team like Sauber.

It's Red Bull or nothing. BMW Motorsport is too strong a brand to waste on a team that can't win.

BMW bought Sauber as Frank Williams wouldn't sell them his team. Even with all the money BM pumped in they only won one race so not mush of a return on their investment at Sauber. Although I'm sure Peter Sauber got some very nice equipment out of it it doesn't seem to have done mush to improve the competitiveness of the team.

Team was fine until last year. Seems to have gone downhill since Peter Sauber went hands off.

I know BMW had a down turn in 2009 with the new rules but still think if they'd have kept with it they'd have mafe it to the top. They barely spent 3 years at it. I mean how long did it take Red Bull to get to the top?

They certainly got to the top quicker than Red Bull, looking at the 2009 Brazilian GP, there's reason to suspect a BMW-backed Sauber team could have been towards the sharp end in 2010, especially with Kubica in tow.

I don't know. On the one hand it's tempting to decline Red Bull for Mercedes applications because it reduces chances of Mercedes-AMG world championships. On the other hand, it results in a much higher chance of Mercedes winning a title with one of its teams.

This said, if I was Red Bull I would want a works engine supplier. I think that leaves BMW or Renault. I doubt Hondai will supply Red Bull and not in near term under works agreement.
There have been rumors that with Honda's return to F1 next year with McLaren, that they would supply other teams as well and that there would be a Honda works team. It would be nothing for Honda to buy Marussia or Caterham when either or both of those teams fold in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom