The return of BMW?

Blog Zbod

Podium Finisher
Gian Carlo Minardi is claiming BMW are poised to return to F1 as an engine supplier, possibly as soon as next season. He further claims several F1 constructors already are involved in testing their engines, and BMW intends using the engine developments in their future road cars.

BMW are doing quite well with their turbocharged road cars, and I can see them adapting F1's hybrid technology to their road cars, but the transference has its limits. Somehow I just can't see them switching to V-6s.

Interesting if true.

Red Bull have alluded to there being a manufacturer waiting in the wings to fill in if Renault cannot improve matters, I initially thought that Cosworth were the only engine manufacturer who would be in a position to do so as it was rumoured that they have done some work towards a 2014 spec engine, however I could not see Red Bull going down that route.

The last BMW turbo engine was a beast. If I remember rightly, in qualifying trim, it was the most powerful motor on the grid and used a stock block. Might be a little different this time around.

I'm sure if Red Bull could keep Vettel a BMW engine could be a good combo. Austrian team, Bavarian engine, German driver.

There is the Ferrari myth...

As well as the last BMW turbo, BMW also had the most powerful V8 engine in 2009 when they pulled out of the sport. Matched with Red Bull they certainly would be formidable however their commitment to the sport doesn't seem as strong as Renault's.

I'd like to see a BMW factory team with the traditional BMW livery, that would be spectacular in my opinion.

On Vettel, I think he has the pick of the litter when it comes to seats. He's proven his strength in Red Bull. Do you think he would want to pull a Schumacher and go to Ferrari with the goal of dragging the team up to "where it belongs?" Think of the s**t storm on here if Vettel was able to do at Ferrari what 'Nando was unable to.

Vettel has very strong ties with BMW, it was they that gave him his F1 debut!

And, they both have blue and silver/white quaters as their logo, which can't be a bad thing...

I'd like to see a BMW factory team with the traditional BMW livery, that would be spectacular in my opinion.

If only they never left in the first place, it was a very good team, but they've sold their team back to Sauber so it will have to be from scratch again.

I would rather have them back as a team, rather than just an engine supplier.

The BMW engine was good around the time Ralph Schumacher drove for them but I'm not sure it was the best. I don't remember the race it was when he was following the Ferari and everyone was saying he'll get past because of the Beema's superior straight line speed but he never managed to get close. I think Audi have one of the best turbo technologies and produce the widest range of turbo charged road cars so it would be interesting to see whether they'd come aboard. I had the S3 a couple of years ago and it was a pleasure to drive. Once again, it's increasingly obvious the new engines were a step in the right direction.

The BMW engine was good around the time Ralph Schumacher drove for them but I'm not sure it was the best. I don't remember the race it was when he was following the Ferari and everyone was saying he'll get past because of the Beema's superior straight line speed but he never managed to get close. I think Audi have one of the best turbo technologies and produce the widest range of turbo charged road cars so it would be interesting to see whether they'd come aboard. I had the S3 a couple of years ago and it was a pleasure to drive. Once again, it's increasingly obvious the new engines were a step in the right direction.
Not to mention I believe Audi has had success in Le Mans racing with their E-tron powertrains.

Last edited:
The last BMW turbo engine was a beast. If I remember rightly, in qualifying trim, it was the most powerful motor on the grid and used a stock block. Might be a little different this time around.

I'm sure if Red Bull could keep Vettel a BMW engine could be a good combo. Austrian team, Bavarian engine, German driver.

Red Bull is more british than Austrian if you're interacting with them.

That said I don't understand why you think Austrian team, Bavarian engine German driver helps. BMW used to have a Swiss team (actually based in switzerland), Bavarian engine and German driver (Heidfeld, and Vettel for 2 races) not that long ago.

Red Bull is more british than Austrian if you're interacting with them.

That said I don't understand why you think Austrian team, Bavarian engine German driver helps. BMW used to have a Swiss team (actually based in switzerland), Bavarian engine and German driver (Heidfeld, and Vettel for 2 races) not that long ago.
You could say that most of F1 is British, since a lot of teams are based there.

Not that I am rising to the bait but of the 11 teams currently on the grid 3 are registered with the FIA as being British (Lotus, McLaren and Williams) whilst all are based in the UK with the exception of Ferrari, Sauber and Toro Rosso. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, my point was that there is a significant Germanic element to Red Bull which is likely to appeal to BMW.

There is an extremely significant Germanic element to Red Bull. It is 26 years old, from Heppenheim and prefers to be known as Sebastian.

If a German company wants German sponsors, is that not enough? Also see the Spanish element that attracted Santander to McLaren...

Anyway, my point was that there is a significant Germanic element to Red Bull which is likely to appeal to BMW.
Very true. I think the Vettel in a Red Bull with a BMW engine would be a very cool combination. At this point though, I feel like youd be crazy not to go with a Merc engine if you had the option.

Back
Top Bottom