The Red Bull KERS system

They connect to the front of the crankshaft.It does improve accelaration but at the same time adds up to 80bhp to engine power..
You have the engine power plus a added power from the KERS unit.
Rather than thinking of it in pure bhp terms consider the the big increase in the engines torque.
Mercedes KERS connection
k.png

Speculation has been the life blood of F1 for as long as it's been around.

All of the experienced F1 journalists were also fooled.

So what happens now? Red Bull will probably continue the season without a KERS package as they know they would be faster without the extra weight. Are the other leading teams going to dump theirs as well in order to keep up?
Can the FIA enforce the use of KERS to ensure the green technology gets used?

Ted Kravitz did a small video piece after the GP and apparently Lotus are looking to implement a start only KERS.

Red Bull have also confirmed they will use KERS at Malaysia but if they're having cooling problems, I'm not sure why they think it will work at Malaysia which will be a lot hotter than Australia.

I think KERS is optional again this year, which once again calls into question this nonsense of F1 being green...a crippled KERS system which isn't compulsory :rolleyes:

James Allen on F1 said:
Vettel was coy on the use of the rumoured “start only” KERS. “I was pressing some buttons, yes,” he said. There were no TV graphics of his start, but a replay of Webber’s start showed that he did not use KERS, although it showed that the system was armed. Later Vettel said that the team had suffered some problems with KERS reliability through the weekend and that he wants them to get a reliable system they can use throughout the race as soon as possible. It seems that many teams have had problems with cooling the KERS batteries and many were not able to use it throughout the weekend.

This makes it sound more like "we couldn't get it working so this is just a stop-gap system, but we thought we'd play with the reporters by acting all mysterious".
Jo

Red Bull run the convential Magnetti Marelli system.Its exactly the same system as Renault use.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90275
There was speculation after Vettel took pole position that the team was planning to use an innovative 'start-only' KERS, but Horner told the BBC that the team had been concerned with reliability on its conventional system and merely opted not to run it.
"We haven't had KERS on at all this weekend," said Horner. "We didn't want to tell anybody, but looking at the start ... It didn't look like we needed it.
"We were a bit nervous about telling everybody before the race. We ran it on Friday and we weren't happy with the reliability, we felt it was a potential risk, so we took it off both cars and didn't race it at all this weekend."
"We made a decision with the KERS, he added. "It's quite a complex system, it's an interesting technology, but Adrian [Newey] being Adrian would not compromise the car around the system so it has had to fit into his aero shape and that's presented some bigger challenges.

Well done Red Bull!!!
A nice bit of a Bum Steer (no pun intended). Surely if the green argument is the reason for incorporation of KERS they shouldn't put a cap on the maximum power captured/released. Just like the DRS should be for use when and wherever you like?

I'm confused by this story, as my understanding was that the energy recovery is supposed to be taken from braking and then, subsequently, used for extra power/revs/acceleration, or whatever! :thinking:

How can this tally with a car starting on the grid with a fully charged KERS unit.

The race hasn't started yet (the lap to the grid isn't part of the race?) so no energy can have been recovered; surely the KERS should be fully discharged when the lights go out at the start of the race!

I know the claim now is that RBR didn't have it fitted (or connected) but, if they had, then how could it be legal ....
.... and if everybody else is doing it then it just doesn't sound like it should be allowed.

Back
Top Bottom