The Red Bull KERS system

I'm not sure it is legal.

If fundamentally it doesn't recover energy and has been designed or implemented in such a way not to do so, then it isn't a KERS device and certainly doesn't achieve the objectives set out for such devices.

I really hope the FIA get to grips with this blatant rule-bending cheating as it's starting to get annoying.

From what i've read into this it sounds like they have a little battery that all the KERS have but smaller because they only need it for the straight, but they have removed the devices that will recover the energy, so once it is gone, it is gone.

You deserve a "double like" for that one, thanks for grounding us.

Ha. I was saying on another thread the other day that the best place to overtake may actually end up being the turn after the DRS one. If DRS doesn't get someone in a position to overtake at turn 1 it will at least get them onto their bumper and then there is a long run down to turn 3 which means that once close a driver might be able to slip stream the car in front. Also, if Vettel does not have KERS, then turn 13 will be a good place for Lewis to have a go. Last year there was overtakes all over the place, although they did have the advantage of a slippery track.

This said, i am quite excited to see what the DRS can do. It is just one of so many unknowns for tomorrow. When we hit the lap 3 and the first cars get to try use it to see what happens, it will be quite interesting.

One other thing with Vettel possibly not having KERS, Melbourne usually has a high number of safety cars. Vettel won't have a chance against KERS from this position, and if at any point Lewis gets in front, there would surely be no chance for Vettel to pass the significantly quicker in a straight-line Mclaren.

So it's not a KERS device then.
It's a battery.

Exactly. Obviously this is speculation from the uneducated :p, but if this is what they have done then it is worse than the front wing. It is like they are making a mockery of Formula 1 just months after they announced their plans to become more green. :givemestrength:

Magnetti Marelli KERS system
kers-magneti-marelli-1.jpg
kers-magneti-marelli-2.jpg
ta_article_612.jpg

OK Then explain how a battery can drive the car without the motor generator.I know exactly how Kinetic energy systems work so I am far from uneducated in the subject.

What I believe saves space and weight, according to the James Allen article, is dispensing with the big, heavy battery/batteries that are required to fast-charge and then store the required energy during one lap - the red parts, (4) in Sportsman's diagram? as compared with the much smaller battery (something like 3)? needed for the start-line only version, which would only ever be trickle-charged in the garage. The motor generator (2) would still be required, but only to power the drivetrain, not to recover energy from it.

I think. :unsure:

Another question in my mind is this:
If the Red Bull were designed from scratch this way, which would enable among other things a tighter packaging of all the gubbins in this area of the car, would they be able to easily re-jig everything to accommodate a full-blown system later in the season, if it became necessary?

If the Red Bull were designed from scratch this way, which would enable among other things a tighter packaging of all the gubbins in this area of the car, would they be able to easily re-jig everything to accommodate a full-blown system later in the season, if it became necessary?

I'm sure the boffins @ RBR are not naive in regards to what they have done. They will have Risk Mitigated it just in case someone threw their own KERS syetem out of their cot & sought clarification.

It's the intrigue that is F1, the reason we watch it @ stupid o'clock

So they are concerned about its legality then?

Dunno about legality, perhaps reliability. Maybe both cars had KERS problems so they thought they would put out disinformation to put people off the scent about the problems they had. Whatever the reason the Vettel wiped the floor with them all in qualie, let's see what happens in the race :D

This revelation can't come as much of a surprise.

Who was fastest the last time we had KERS? Two Non-KERS cars? You bet. So they must have changed the regulations to make KERS more beneficial then right? No? Then why would anybody run it? Because they all said they would.

What I find quite amusing is this from James Allen's article on Red Bull's 'Start-only KERS' yesterday:
"It appears, from investigations, that at least one team currently without KERS is working on a similar concept."

echoed by this from Ted Kravitz's analysis:
"A leading engineer from another team said he thought it "very likely" that Red Bull had such a system as his team were working on a similar idea themselves."

OK Then explain how a battery can drive the car without the motor generator.I know exactly how Kinetic energy systems work so I am far from uneducated in the subject.

Sportsman, can you help me on something about KERS. Does the electric motor connect to the crank shaft or to the diff? If it's onto the crank does, therefore driving through the engine, surely this mean it simply makes the engine accelerate more quickly rather than giving an extra lump of horse power, especially as the revs are limited.

Back
Top Bottom