The McLaren is faster than the Red Bull

Mark Hughes has an interesting take on why McLaren seem to be quicker than Red Bull in the races:

I note that there's no mention of qualifying being done on minmal fuel, whereas the race is with full fuel.
Surely that must have an impact, however slight?

Maybe this is when the infamous flexi wing comes into play more?
Low fuel + new tyres + flexi wing = big advantage?

I note that there's no mention of qualifying being done on minmal fuel, whereas the race is with full fuel.

Maybe this is when the infamous flexi wing comes into play more?
Low fuel + new tyres + flexi wing = big advantage?
The Renault engine is more fuel efficient than the Mercedes engine, so the Red-Bull starts the race with much less fuel than the McLaren.

This makes McLaren being closer to Red-Bull in the races even more anomalous, they should be closest in qualifying and fall off in the race.

The Renault engine is more fuel efficient than the Mercedes engine, so the Red-Bull starts the race with much less fuel than the McLaren.

While the Renault engine is more efficient than the Mercedes or Ferrari, I believe they have all been carrying similar amounts of fuel at the start.

The Renault engine's efficiency has allowed Red Bull (and Renault) to fully exploit the Exhaust Blown Diffuser/Floor concept. They can afford to carry the extra fuel necessary to drive the engine/exhaust at 100% flow at all times because they don't need as much petrol to complete the race distance.

Indeed - but perhaps the Red Bull is carrying more fuel in qualifying in order to fully-exploit the off-throttle EBD map, and use DRS earlier in the high-speed corners due to the extra downforce they can generate? Hughes is mentioning the increased tyre wear due to the extra downforce the Red Bull generates due to these as perhaps a factor in the disparity between Red Bull's qualifying and race pace, particularly when compared to the McLarens.

I think we all have our opinions on who may be faster on race day, and I think it's pretty clear who is faster on Saturday. But if asked which car would you rather have over a whole GP weekend I bet more people would say the RB7.

But if asked which car would you rather have over a whole GP weekend I bet more people would say the RB7.

Not me, I'll have a go with the Virgin anyday. :tumbleweed:

Veering back on course. Hamilton has a habit of flattering a car. The RB7 was having KERS issues, and therefore Brake Balance issues. Vettel stayed ahead because of the incredible grip he had in the final corner. What does every driver yearn for? GRIP.

The real question should be: Is Hamilton faster than Vettel? But I've run out of building supplies and I haven't the time to create a steel cage for the death match that would be sure to ensue, so we'll save that one for another day. :chuffed:

The real question should be: Is Hamilton faster than Vettel? But I've run out of building supplies and I haven't the time to create a steel cage for the death match that would be sure to ensue, so we'll save that one for another day. :chuffed:

Its the same question though Keke. If you think the RB7 is faster than the MP4-26, then Hamilton must therefore be faster than Vettel.

[Apply flame proof clothes] And I believe, at this moment, that he is. And I believe Fernando Alonso is as well.

I s'pose you're right TBY. I s'pose you're right.

I guess that was my roundabout way of saying that in no bloody-freaking way is the McLaren faster than the Red Bull, only that a certain driver might be.

First of all, hello to everybody.

Lewis, I believe doesn't feel that he is faster than the RB7, and wished that he had the downforce that Sebastian seems to easily have at hand.

Welcome lewymp4.

I'm sure every driver is envious of the downforce that the RB7 creates. They all want a ride with Slutty Susan, or whatever Seb is calling her these days. :whistle:

Welcome lewymp4.

I'm sure every driver is envious of the downforce that the RB7 creates. They all want a ride with Slutty Susan, or whatever Seb is calling her these days. :whistle:

Thanks for the welcome.

Many drivers may want to take Slutty Suzie out for a ride, but I don't think many of them are capable of giving Suzie the ride, that she receives from Sebastian.

I don't think many of them are capable of giving Suzie the ride, that she receives from Sebastian.

I think Coulthard would beg to differ.

And at the risk of carrying this innuendo on a little too far, one would be smart to remember the old saying, "Once you go bla...."

I'd better not.

P.S. - MODS feel free to hand me a 20-minute reprimand, because I'm on a roll today. Must be the fact that FP1 is less than 2 days away!

I liked the last line of that article:

So take your pick: the Red Bull has too much downforce for the Pirellis to be able to use; it derives more drag reduction from its DRS; it has better hot-blown diffuser mapping and loses Kers performance. Or some sort of combination therein.

And we're not even including the Flexi-Wing in the discussion anymore!

Nobody knows exactly why the Red Bull is an absolutely dominant car in Qualifying. And consequently they cannot understand why it is only somewhat dominant in the GP.

I suppose we'll learn the secrets of the RB6/7 about the same time we find out who shot Kennedy from the grassy knoll.

Hughes' conclusion was that the Red Bulls have problems due to Pirelli/DRS/KERS - the 2011 golden triumvirate. That hence does not explain why Red Bull were also faster in qualifying than the race, albeit not to the same extent, in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom