The importance of pole position.

F1Yorkshire teabagyokel

I don't think people realised how hard and how fast Senna was driving the Lotus under they compared him against Nelson Piquet's performances in 1988 and took note that the man was a phenomenon

I don't think the sport has seen a faster ever driver than Senna..as I say Monaco 88 pole lap was unbelievable to be 3 seconds faster than a non Mclaren and 1.4 seconds faster than Prost.... its one of those laps people will talk about thinking surely he could not go any faster without crashing into the wall

I do not think there is any other driver who mesmerises people on a lap than Senna does

RickD - Prost's first two titles came in the early turbo era, when it was less uncommon for a car to lead then retire. Lauda did not score a pole position in 1984 on his way to the title, showing McLaren were the most likely of the top teams to finish a race even if pole was often held by Nelson Piquet's Brabham.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike BMW, Honda and Renault in the mid-eighties Porsche never designed a "special qualifying spec" engine for its TAG turbo. McLaren never enjoyed the benefit of those 1,200-plus hp monsters that characterised the height of the turbo era. That was the main reason why the McLarens were always far more competitive in race-trim than they were in quali.
A particular good indicator of that was the morning warm-up, run in race conditions. Lauda, Prost and Rosberg, having often been a second or more off the pace in quali were almost invariably fastest in race trim.

The Artist..... What shocks me more is that Schumi now has 92 victories! Did he secretly win in Korea?

I did state that as a caveat ;)

It also doesn't take into account DSQ's or adjusted positions after the race - this is the actual race finish position.

He crossed the line in first place at the 1994 Belgian GP but was subsequently DSQ'ed due to excessive skid block wear.

Back in the mid 80's when turbos became the thing to have the power development went from

Renault - Ferrari - Renault - BMW - HOnda

Porsche had a deal with Mclaren for specific engines embadged TAG but this was funded by Mclaren not Porsche themselves which was used effectively.... you don;t want to hear about Porsche's disastrous return to F1 in 1991

Mclaren's were never fastest over 1 lap that was always mainly the BMW powered Brabham of Piquet which reached 1400 hp on full boost but really did not last as well in the race

The Mclaren was suited for race pace and the results showed this

Back
Top Bottom