The Future Of F1

Clarkson on F1:

Makes some valid points but in his usual OTT and crude manner. Is it my imagination or is he getting less articulate the older he gets?

I know F1 is suppose to be not political but this might have influenced in some ways that Mexico has a race. Spain needs to be dropped the country are motorbikes lovers - they can fill Barcelona with Marquez dominating Moto GP but without Alonso the attendances is going to drop

yeah I would get spain just leave It for testing, because it is a poor track record 3 good race in 21 years. is it just me that liberty media is probably to do with money but its like they are trying to please everyone. & avoid tough decisions.

If they had the balls to drop Brazil - a country with even greater tradition in F1 then why not Spain. You're never going to sell out the race .

Interestingly Mercedes have come out and said they are not going to get too involved in the German GP's future that shows you the value of that race has declined as well.

Or that Mercedes have no interest in staying in F1 in the long term.

thats why as some people are against budget caps, sport needs to become sustainable potienally for the 1st time, so that if these teams threaten to leave they can tell them dont let door hit you on the way out. because at the moment 20 cars is minimum & teams know they have the power. mercedes bluff & get what they want because they dont want to go to 18 cars. Haas are now throwing rumours that they are considering future thats 16 cars.

we need to find a budget that get 24/26 cars back & potienal teams lining up to come in when others leading

If you budget cap it means the teams with ample resources cannot simply win by spending more which was why Ferrari were successful between 2000-2007. If you restrict's ability to win by simply spending then they have to rely on their engineering personnel to deliver and judging by Ferrari . It is clear their engineering personnel is not as good as Mercedes or Red Bull for that matter

new team in 2021 potentially

Yea, I don’t understand nor do I agree with the concept that they have to apply to enter. In my book, if someone shows up at a race with a car that qualifies within 107%, they are in.

Yea, I don’t understand nor do I agree with the concept that they have to apply to enter. In my book, if someone shows up at a race with a car that qualifies within 107%, they are in.

i believe the application is just about due diligence. making sure the funds are there, financially sound for this season + many more & we not going to end up in the situations like manor & Caterham towards end where they were going race to race

i believe the application is just about due diligence. making sure the funds are there, financially sound for this season + many more & we not going to end up in the situations like manor & Caterham towards end where they were going race to race

Well, they call came under the Max Mosley review of applicants system and they failed anyway. There was more than three groups applying at the time, so he ended up picking the "winners" that got to enter. Before they put those rules in during the 1990s, formula one did just fine accepting whoever showed up with a car fast enough to qualify. Now we have teams running around with cars not fast enough to qualify, but they have a secure slot. It was a rule put in during the 1990s that we could do without. Doesn't add anything as far as I can see.

Well, they call came under the Max Mosley review of applicants system and they failed anyway. There was more than three groups applying at the time, so he ended up picking the "winners" that got to enter. Before they put those rules in during the 1990s, formula one did just fine accepting whoever showed up with a car fast enough to qualify. Now we have teams running around with cars not fast enough to qualify, but they have a secure slot. It was a rule put in during the 1990s that we could do without. Doesn't add anything as far as I can see.

but that rule has brought in because of these dangerous mickey mouse outfits that turned up & were awful, couldn't last the season, Lola, Forti, Andrea Moda, Life & pacific

but that rule has brought in because of these dangerous mickey mouse outfits that turned up & were awful, couldn't last the season, Lola, Forti, Andrea Moda, Life & pacific
That was the reason given. The real reason was that Mosley was a control freak. F1 would have been much better served if anyone with an interest could enter. It is clear, especially with the funding, that who survives and who does not is pretty random. Better to have more choices and options, otherwise you end up with a formula of only ten teams.

but Ruslan we ended up with 10 teams because the exorbitant budgets & no one can afford to come into F1 as they look & think 120m to finish 7th in constructors

Yes, agreed the primary reason we ended up with 10 teams was because of the exorbitant budgets.....but if more teams enter F1, then there is a chance you will have more teams in F1. It never made sense to restrict the number of entrants. The pre-qualifying was one of the more entertaining shows of the race weekend. In the end, more is better.

but Ruslan we ended up with 10 teams because the exorbitant budgets & no one can afford to come into F1 as they look & think 120m to finish 7th in constructors
F1Brits_90 I think it's not that simple. We have to return back a few years to understand how we got here. For averting disintegration of the F1 many years ago, there was price to pay for keeping it together. Basic human greed however made mess out of the sport we like. Just ask Mosley, Ecclestone and CVC about their priorities. Mosley was talking about budget, but he had much more on his mind.
Today high price for participating is not dependent only on what teams do spend, but one cannot ignore entry fee (among others). Then those unfortunate rules which prevent entrants to develop car properly on accelerated timeline. Just ask Honda about their beginnings. Undoubtedly you will hear horror stories which put brakes on anyone else's desires. Shaming of the automaker resonated with others on the outside. It was not however Honda's fault. They are merely latest victims of what the F1 is today.
Budget will not correct what is essentially plethora of bad decisions accumulated over several decades. Volkswagen and some others for example have cash, but wanted a different engine, and no one was totally happy with sport governance. It's complicated, and it will stay as such as long sport will be run primarily as cash-cow business for the commercial rights owners, and with inane technical and sporting regulations.

I have no answers what to do, and standing helplessly on sidelines, while my place of comfort is burning down. I feel that neither budget, or banning Ferrari and Mercedes from the sport will do the trick. It's too late to recover, and perhaps F1 has to die first before it gets born again as something else, and with different mindset at the helm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom