The end of Valencia?

Catalunya gets in on the act...

Catalunya's government says it may need to rethink the hosting of Formula 1 and MotoGP events given the difficult economic situation.

"We could reconsider the hosting of Formula 1 or motorcycle grands prix," Andreu Mas-Colell, Catalunya's minister for economy, told RAC1 radio.

"It is not clear to us that we can afford them in the current situation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96924

The Far East has a pretty good record - Malaysia, China and Japan are good circuits. Singapore is a street circuit so by definition boring, and frankly Yeongam isn't as bad as Barcelona.

It's their own fault.
No one forced them to pay Bernie $50 million for each race.

If the circuits are stupid enough to pay it then more fool them, especially considering most of them make a loss on every GP.

It all seems to be heading for some sort of a crunch. The number of circuits who can't afford to keep paying is rapidly outstripping the number of new circuits available to replace them (it seems to me).

Yes and even the likes of China and Korea are struggling. There are ongoing discussions in Germany about the race at the Nurburgring (which is too expensive, even though it is only held every two years).
What I don't really understand though is that Hungary doesn't have any problems at all in affording their GP and I never heard the slightest rumor about their GP being replaced...I wonder why that is the case?

First pay millions to build the track....then pay millions to get someone to race on them. :rolleyes:

Every time I try to explain this to non F1 people, they all consider this as rather stupid...And I can't blame them.

It all seems to be heading for some sort of a crunch. The number of circuits who can't afford to keep paying is rapidly outstripping the number of new circuits available to replace them (it seems to me).
Very much so.I think that we are witnessing the implosion of the current unsustainable F1 business model.
The current European financial problems are now making them selves felt.
And not only Europe.Korea are questioning whether its worth losing so much money on their race.

About bloody time!

Bernie has had too much of his own way for too long, at the expense of everyone else involved with F1, including the fans.

The main problem is that the more traditional circuits can't make Bernie to pay them to use their circuit unless you have countries in the world who don't give a damn to pay whatever money Bernie asks them to.
So if all the circuits in the world would force Bernie to stop his nonsense, he would not stand another chance, but I know this is never going to happen and to even think about is, is pretty stupid:givemestrength:

Do you think there's a possibilty of a "FORCA" being set up? (Formula One Racing Circuits Association) - seems to me that if they collectively got their heads together and said "no" to his Eccleship, they might effectively have him over a barrel? After all - there's no F1 championship without places to go racing, is there?

...mind you, I'm sure there are sufficiently swingeing penalty clauses in their existing race contracts that would prevent them from doing any such thing, but as Mas-Closell says: "there are contracts more expensive to maintain than break".

I suppose that what stops them from simply pulling out is evidenced by the big France-shaped hole that has been in the calendar since 2008 - once you pull out, it's horribly difficult to get back in, and I expect that this fear of extended exclusion is what keeps many of the waverers in line - as long as Bernie keeps persuading new governments to invest in a GP, there'll nearly always be somebody ready to step into any gaps that result. The other thing to consider is that if a government has invested sufficient money and face into a circuit in order to book a place on the F1 calendar, then it's awfully difficult to then pull out without looking like colossal numpties (particularly in the middle of a financial crisis), but given the exhorbitant fees they then have to stump up to maintain their position in the F1 circus, it still looks pretty bloody stupid to the average man-on-the-street, wondering where all his taxes are going.

Perhaps a crunch is coming though, when promoters/ministers and circuit owners do simply say "we cannot pay what you're asking anymore", and there aren't any sufficiently-lucrative new venues coming in - what will Bernie do then?

He's smart....not only has he got old tracks as options, he's getting new ones in aswell.

So he has many choices.

Negotiating genius...to the human eye, a bit of a arse.

Back
Top Bottom