The 2011 Regs Thread - DRS - Tyres - Kers

Not really sure where to post this as it could go on any number of threads, however this one will do.

I just posted this on Jake's blog: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehump..._know.html?postId=108653554#comment_108653554

The salient point I suppose would be this: Overtaking should be difficult, just like it is difficult to score a goal in football.
Would football fans be happy if they started getting scores similar to those in basketball?

Overtaking has become devalued.

Tyres: Not as they are, maybe the change for Barcelona will improve the gap. As of now though, they are trash..
Kers: Can see the point in KERS and think it is a technology that should be used, maybe less engine output, more KERS, get the battle for the extra (nearly) free power going.
DRS: Absolute Trash, get rid of now.

Yep, I see what you and Irish are saying but I actually think that drivers will just push their cars grip levels to the limit and encourage driver mistakes. I'm probably over simplifying this but DRS is just a tool to compensate for dirty air caused by wings. If the car in front is using DRS too then the air flow should be smoother and the car following will still be able to slipstream better. To move to another, historical, comparison is it that much different to playing with turbo boost in the 80's?

What I'm trying to get to is a return to greater driver control of the car and the elements on it. The more a driver has to do the better chance of mistakes, overtakes and enjoyment for all.

What I'm trying to get to is a return to greater driver control of the car and the elements on it. The more a driver has to do the better chance of mistakes, overtakes and enjoyment for all.
That's pretty much how I see it too. But I think that the limited access to the KERS button gives the drivers something else to think about (how and where in the lap to make best use of it). This in itself provides the possibility of not only clever use but also unclever use which its unrestricted use would not, even if it were technically possible (which it isn't). Such a limit on the deployment of the DRS could work in the same way.

I'm definitely sensing a lot of defensive statements there. Perhaps a lot of them realise how silly it has become but don't want to explicitly go on record as saying so?
Quoting myself here but this is from James Allen's site:
Mark Webber said after the race that his run in China had made him aware that the tyre situation and the DRS was making things artificial, “You come up against drivers like Fernando, Jenson and Nico, you catch them at 2.5 seconds a lap it’s nice but it’s not rewarding because they’ve got nothing to fight back with.” He stopped there, not wanting to be too critical of the situation in public.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/did-the-drs-wing-make-things-too-artificial-in-turkey/

There definitely seems to be two different lots of reporting going on - those who say everything's great, the drivers love it, the fans love it, viewing figures are up, etc.
And then those who report the actual truth, as with the above statement.

As determined by you?
I haven't said either way - the media outlets have, so one group is lying.
The drivers either love it or they don't, so which is it?
As that quote came from Mark Webber himself I can only deduce that the drivers don't love it.

Bro - the gobby aussie is just one out of 24 - although quite often he is deemed to be their spokesman.

"....I picked up a distinct undercurrent from drivers after the race that they hadn’t enjoyed being able to sail past each other in the DRS zone which was half way down the high speed straight leading to Turn 12....." and remember this is James Allen talking! The very man we all loved to hate 'cos he wasn't the sharpest pencil in the drawer.

Perhaps it would be an idea for us as a community to start collating the driver's quotes either in print, on the internet, or by transcribing them. That would allow us to get a relative idea of where each driver stands on the regulations. Obviously, they would have to be verifiable, but it might be interesting as the season progresses, even though I believe the drivers are less than completely honest most of the time.

Jen, let's not forget that Mark's race in China was trumpeted as an example of how good the new regulations are, providing fantastic racing; starting from near the back and ending up on the podium.
Woohoo! All herald the new dawn of Formula One.

Yet the guy who actually did it is saying it is artificial and wasn't rewarding.

There's a disconnect somewhere.

even though I believe the drivers are less than completely honest most of the time.
I expect they're not allowed to be completely honest, as per the terms of their contract.
Most drivers just give non-committal soundbites for good reason.

Don't doubt that for a second Brogan, and even if it weren't stipulated in their contract, I'm sure they would feel a lot of pressure to be responsorible - that's a new word I've just made up.

I'm in favour of DRS but do feel the positioning of the zone in Turkey was wrong; too much overtaking on the straight rather than allowing the car close enough to have a go on the corner. The good thing about China was it wasn't straight forward straight blasting and probably why Mark didn't complain then.

Mustn't forget that so much overtaking in the last few years has been on straights (I'm prepared to be shot for lack of research here) but its the passes on corners that challenge in stay in the memory.

I'm in favour of DRS but do feel the positioning of the zone in Turkey was wrong; too much overtaking on the straight

I'll agree with the fact they got the zone wrong in Turkey

rather than allowing the car close enough to have a go on the corner.

I disagree with this though, how many times did we see people steaming down the outside at turn 14 - The McLaren duo's battle (on the same tyres) being one that sticks in the mind - and they were 3 abreast steaming in there at one point.

There you go... I brought it on myself trying to do too much multi-tasking today (that and only catching the highlights this weekend).

I did actually enjoy the race I saw and I agree there was still a lot of fighting through the corners which was great. In fact I saw a lot of great driving from most yesterday. What I was trying to emphasise / get across was why the DRS zone was wrong... it felt like a step backwards with too much passing on that straight appearing too easy; it was almost a drag race.

Sorry Chad, don't remember Mark's comments from China but if he was moaning after managing to haul himself up from no-where then there's no hope for him (miserable bugger).

DRS needs to go....or using KERS with DRS which makes it too easy.

I think DRS shouldn't have been added to this years regulations at all

Sorry Chad, don't remember Mark's comments from China but if he was moaning after managing to haul himself up from no-where then there's no hope for him (miserable bugger).

I don't think he was moaning exactly, but I'm pretty sure he did make some comment along the lines of some of the passing being a bit too easy, taking the edge off any satisfaction. If I can find the appropriate quote I'll post a link.

Back
Top Bottom