Poll Sparks! What do we think?

Do we want to see sparks on our cars or not?

• Total voters

F1Yorkshire

Avatar for sale to the highest bidder
Contributor
1986-Canada.jpg

Remember these?

Well they are back for todays practise sessions at least. Rosberg & Raikkonen both have titanium skid plates fitted to their cars in the aim of "improving the show"

The sky commentary team don't seem too impressed by the artificial nature of the sparks as the cars no longer run as low as they used to due to the plank on the base of the car.

Personally I do like to see a few sparks when a car bottoms out but is this the right way of achieving them?

Time for a poll!

Do we like the artificially produced sparks? Is this just another gimmick? Or should we bring the sparks back but only if they reduce the ride height of cars?

Guys what do you think?

I like sparks whether from the drivers or the cars but only in the 'heat' of the moment!

It's not much of an issue for me either but what I do find a bit worrying is the extent to which those in charge will go to come up with ridiculously gimmicky measures because they think it'll increase F1's profile in the eyes of casual viewers. It just shows how far off the ball their preoccupations have become. Whatever next, compulsory luminescent livery for each car?

Personally I'd prefer to see them focus on trying to promote good racing on proper tracks, but maybe that's a bit too simplistic for them?...

Last edited:
It's the double standards that get me. Come up with the most technologically advanced engines you possibly can, but drive around with a bit of metal scraping on the ground cuz it looks really cool. Surprised they haven't recommended chrome spinners on the wheel hubs yet.

A much better system would be to take on board the aerobatic idea. Coloured smoke.

Purple smoke for the sector following the one in which a driver has made the lowest time in a session.

Green smoke for a driver's best time for a sector.

Bright red for a fastest lap.

White smoke for a driver about to pit.

Blue smoke for Massa for use when Perez is nearby. Similarly for any driver when Maldonado is close.

Black smoke for a driver who has been given a penalty, to carry on until said driver has completed his penalty.

Yellow smoke for use in qualification to show that the driver is on a fast lap.

The concern seems to be that viewing figures are falling, one way might be to make the viewing free to air?

Outstanding band, silly idea. If titanium is the best material for skid plates, then fine, otherwise they should use whatever's best for performance.

What a load of bollocks, of all the reasons I first started watching F1 I can guarantee sparks wasn't one of them, who's hairbrained idea was this?

Don't tell me, he's short and can't navigate a revolving door..

Last edited:
Let's be honest; the reason we used to get sparks was because of the flat bottoms; titanium skid blocks were put in to prevent the car bottoming out too much. With the plank, this as no longer necessary. I miss the sparks, but only in pas much as I miss the flat bottomed cars! I also miss low noses as well! (Proper low noses, not the fake garbage we currently have)

However, in defence of sparks, I give you Nelson Piquet

b191.jpg

Last edited:
What a load of bollocks, of all the reasons I first started watching F1 I can guarantee sparks wasn't one of them, who's hairbrained idea was this?

Don't tell me, he's short and can't navigate a revolving door..

Who else......Sprinklers to be used during a dry race, double the points during the last race of the season. It's times like this that I wish that his ass was locked up in Germany.

Back
Top Bottom