Space Shuttle Atlantis To Launch, 14th May 2010

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
"The countdown to liftoff of space shuttle Atlantis on its STS-132 mission officially has started. Countdown clocks at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida were activated at 4 p.m. EDT, ticking backward from the T-43 hour mark."

Launch Countdown Under Way for STS-132

Launch is expected on Friday, with just two missions after that remaining, for the space shuttle before retirement.*

Watch the build up and launch on Friday, on NASA TV.

*Although after retirement, a shuttle will remain ready for lift-off for a possible rescue mission for the ISS crew, if needed...

I wonder why they use 43 as the number of hours to countdown :s

It must just have something to do with how long the pre-flight checks, etc. take.

It seems that the countdown continues. Launch is due approx 19:20 GMT tomorrow. So tune in before then, kids, to be sure to catch the lift-off!

Brogan said:
I wonder why they use 43 as the number of hours to countdown :s

It must just have something to do with how long the pre-flight checks, etc. take.

Don't know, although there are numerous 'holds' during that 43 hour countdown, anyway. So it equates to seventy odd hours! :dunno:

I was lucky enough to be at KSC for the launch and 12 days later we were there for the landing as well.

It was an incredible sight and well worth going.

There are 2 scheduled launches (Discovery and Endeavour) this year and maybe (if Congress approve) Atlantis may make one more flight next year.

We did manage to capture both the launch and a bit of the landing on video but they're not great and hardly representative of how fantastic it was.

We did take some good pictures of KSC so I'll post them up on here.

Back
Top Bottom