Skiing

Three toe side turns today!:yesss:( on a very gentle part of the slope it must be said) and only fell off the drag lift once. Time to go up the chair lift tomorrow. I think the freestyle jumps are a way off yet!

At the weekend, across the border in Italy ( the resort is called La Thuille) they're hosting the women's downhill world ski championship. I saw them the other day preparing the piste, putting the fences and protection up.

Congrats racecub you will be a pro in no time :)

If you get the chance head over and watch the downhill, even after 30+ years skiing I can struggle to believe the level of skill those men and women put into their sport...

I'm not sure. I think it would be hard to ticket it because there will be people on the mountain. I have people arriving sat to stay so if they want to wander over and have a look I will. I bet it will be amazing.

This evening I am aching all over! I don't think I've ever ached so much. Aches and bruises everywhere. My coccyx will never be the same again! I did four hours on the snowboard. Managed to get up on the chair lift, though arrived in a heap on the floor every time but once. On the gentler parts I managed to link a few turns toe and heal, but landed on my bum and knees a few times trying. Things can only get better! :teary:

lol, you should try impact shorts racecub, a must even for seasoned boarders to save the coccyx. Feels a bit like wearing a nappy at first, but after the first fall and feeling the difference it makes you don't care :)

At least you haven't managed to do what I did when first learning, I had got basic turns down within a day and started to push my limits. Was part way through a toe side turn and panicked due to the speed I had, lost balance and caught the heal side edge just at the lip of a drop off. According to my wife my short flight was very elegant before landing flat on my back, my head whipping back and sliding down the rest of the slope. I think I learnt some new swear words in that flight as I managed to shock even my squaddie mate who was on holiday with us. Ended up with 80% bruising of my back and a mild case of whiplash. Was addicted to boarding since then :)

Impact shorts!! that is exactly what I need! I've had two days off and am going back up with the board today in some state of trepidation!
Your exploits when learning canis don't fill me with confidence. It sounds horrendous! I will make sure any turns I make are when I've practically come to a stop. lol

racecub I wouldn't worry too much, most people never take my path to learning something. I managed to roll and cartwheel a car within 3 weeks of starting to learn to drive. When learning to ski at age 10 I had to be line winched back up from a drop off from a glacier due to going too fast to control myself and crashing through the barriers. I have broken bones, torn muscles, received bruising, concussion, lost teeth and been dragged from way too many swimming pools when learning to swim, ride a bike, ride a horse and skateboarding.

I know that if I try something new I will end up injuring myself in some form or another because I am too stupid when learning to take my time and get things under control before pushing my limits :dizzy: Possibly the reason why my wife doesn't let me learn new things any more ;)

I used to think I was quite the tomboy. 'Anything you can do I can do at least as well.' Clearly I was mixing up with quite the wrong calibrate if 'boy'. Your poor mum must have wondered what was going to happen next! I've now morphed into some sort of whimp. Like to be in control before putting on the speed. I did manage about six linked turns on the snowboard the other day and only fell off the chair lift in a heap once...so slow progress! The bruising on the back of my thighs is spectacular!
Today I was back on skis to go over to Italy but the weather was not good, visibility very bad and my skiing atrocious. :shocked:

Katie ORMEROD (Great Britain)
winner of
Snowboarding - Big Air World Cup in Moscow (7 January 2017)
C1h2_7OVIAA3TZm.jpg

(weather: -29C)

What's happened to the snow in Europe? Come on snow!!! Slopes pretty bare thus far. :o

EDIT? Just watching the weather. It seems the snow has come with a vengeance! Not sure if it's actually found its way to the slopes yet, but its looking ccccccold!

Last edited:
Don't know if it's still the case nowadays but they also used to have a problem in the area with the number of wally-brains - a lot of them brits it has to be said - who go running around naked in the snow as a result of some drunken bet or other and are then found frozen stiff dead of hypothermia in the morning...

What's the problem with that?

Perfectly reasonable natural culling of idiots. Nobody that stupid could contribute to society; merely a drain on rare resources... ;)

Back
Top Bottom