Rugby Six Nations Rugby Union

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
So, here we are again, near the start of the best Rugby Union Championship in the world.

For the next six weeks, the weekends will feature some gruelling encounters between powerful packs scrummaging, fleet-footed wingers 'winging it' to the line, backs shilly-shallying past a tackle and pin-point accurate goal kicking!

Click here for the fixture list - Official RBS 6 Nations Rugby site
Here is Jeremy Guscott's pick of the players to watch BBC Sport - Ones to Watch

Tonight sees the first match, between [bg=#eaeaea]Wales[/bg] and [BG=#f58265]England[/BG], at the Millennium Stadium. Should be a tough encounter. I wonder who will win?
thinking.gif

Tomorrow, Italy host Ireland at the Stadion Flaminio and France entertain Scotland at the Stade de France.

I really love the 6 Nations. A pint or several with friends, whilst watching civilised violence on TV.
Marvellous!
cheer.gif

What do you all reckon?

Tonight sees the first match, between [bg=#eaeaea]Wales[/bg] and [BG=#f58265]England[/BG], at the Millennium Stadium. Should be a tough encounter. I wonder who will win? :thinking:

Doubt that they'll be wearing those colours, MZR.

England haven't won there since 2003, so its not going to be easy, but I think that if England play the way they did against the Wallabies then they have a great chance.

All the teams will want momentum going in to the World Cup; the confidence England would have if they beat Scotland, for example, would be immense.

Well England won, but the Welsh made them fight for what was not an overwhelming victory. I think this 6 Nations is still wide open, although I think I'd pick Ireland as my favourites for now

Well England won, but the Welsh made them fight for what was not an overwhelming victory. I think this 6 Nations is still wide open, although I think I'd pick Ireland as my favourites for now

I wouldn't pick Ireland after their squeaky bum victory in Italy this afternoon, the French are doing a number on Scotland as I type and FB.....
tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm withdrawing my nomination for Ireland and placing it with France instead. They were immense today, especially their scrum (despite being about a stone lighter on average than the Scottish players).

Still, we put up a good fight today and still managed to run in 3 tries, which is not like us at all, so I'm hopefull for the rest of the tournament that we might put on as good show.

Still, we put up a good fight today and still managed to run in 3 tries, which is not like us at all, so I'm hopefull for the rest of the tournament that we might put on as good show.

Thats it for the tournament, isn't it? Or does it not work on a quota system.

I think, looking at that opening weekend, that the title is up for grabs between FRANCE and its underwhelming alter-ego france. I think if FRANCE play all 5 games they'll probably win, but if france play, then it may well go to England. I think England vs (some) France at Twickenham will be pivotal.

Hmm, after last weekend's performances, unless there is a majopr turnaround, there's not going to be any just about France's performance, it will be comfortable.

Sadly, I think FJ may be right.

I'm still hoping that Ireland will wake up from the slumber that seemed to stifle them against Italy last weekend..

Likewise. we both know that they are capable of formidable performances, but the Italy game was very lacklustre and France were just on fire. I'm just glad Scotland kept the score respectable, unlike their performance against the All-Blacks in November.

Ireland have suffered a number of injuries, apparently. Hopefully they can put one over the French. Scotland played well last weekend, they realised if they didn't play well then they could of faced another All Black-esque mauling (according to a certain Mr A Robinson), but France were just too good.. Fingers crossed for the boys in green!

England should do well against Italy. Note that I "should"... Italy are no push overs, not even when they play away. They have a couple of decent play-makers. Try scoring may not be abundant, but give them penalty kicking opportunities...

Scotland v Wales. On last weekends results and given that the match is at Murrayfield, Scotland will be victorious, with a 10 point margin.

Hmm, after last weekend's performances, unless there is a majopr turnaround, there's not going to be any just about France's performance, it will be comfortable.

I agree, but I'm not sure that Ireland in Dublin will be a massive challenge for France, and I think their defence was quite poor against Scotland. I can't see Ireland playing that badly again.

Great result for England against Italy.

England were rampant, where as Italy looked defeated from the start... Like one of the pundits said, they were well focused for the Ireland game last week, as that was probably their best chance of a win in the championship this year. Today, they were resigned for a defeat..?:unsure:

Chris Ashton takes the joint record for most Six Nations tries in a season with 6 (Will Greenwood and Shane Williams also have than honour) and its only two games gone. He's the first to score 4 tries in a Four/Five/Six Nations game since 1914.

Scotland were fundamentally not bad but same old problems when it comes to handling the ball - that they couldn't score from the five yard line against 13 men was a damning indictment of their attack.

So, onto Dublin.

England good against a very out of sorts Italy.

Scotland once again prove that they can be as bad as they can be good while Wales would have had a morale boost after their performance against England.

The question is, will anyone be able to stop France?

Back
Top Bottom