Silverstone - Driver of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
So, in the wake of one of the most interesting GP of the season I thought it would make for some good discussion as to who you thought was the driver of the day.

There was some thrilling wheel to wheel racing, a couple of "burns from the stern" (copywright John Watson 1981) and some real hard driving.

I'm not going to put up a poll so you'll have to post the name of your choice and discuss your case.

So, who did it for you?

Hamilton
Perez
Alonso
Webber
Ricciardo
Massa
Rosberg

It's really hard to choose. I'd suggest given Massa, Hamilton and Webber all drove with damaged cars they pip it.

All the drivers were holding their breath, waiting for something to go wrong.
We often talk about the cars being more important than the drivers, or not.
Today, it was only about tyres - so, driver of the day is a 22-way nil-nil draw. :embarrassed:

Webber given his terrible start and damaged wing

For a moment I thought he was going to do a Mansell and steal the win from Rosberg

Webber only had himself to blame for his terrible start, so he doesn't get it from me.

Not sure there was a standout driver really.

Hamilton did well to fight back from dead last to fourth, although the safety car helped.
But then he wouldn't have been last if his tyre hadn't exploded.

Alonso did well to avoid being taken out by Perez' tyre.

Rosberg did what he needed to do although he benefited from Vettel's retirement.

Webber was nudged out by Grosjean at the start and I think given the occasion and the recent events people wanted to do it one more time

It's a tie between Massa and Hamilton for me. Both were running really well until their tyres exploded and both then managed to get back through the field into points positions, with a little help from the safety cars.

It's between Hamilton and Webber.

Webber had a terrible start and was then pushed out by Grosjean (what a tit). However he utilised every ounce of the car's potential to almost take the victory.

Hamilton, comfortably leading the race seemed to be lapping faster than his team-mate and had Vettel in check. Sent to the back of the field through no fault of his own. Made some great overtakes into Copse (a non DRS zone) and did it all on a two stop, a couple more laps and it would have been a podium.

Hamilton, for the sheer fact that Webber put himself next to Grosjean at the start, Hamilton didn't choose to explode his own tyre.

Webber for his great comeback after being Grosjeaned. If that hadn't happened, he may well have won today if his car was undamaged.

It might be fair to assume that Mark isn't being given the team's best equipment now that he has announced that he is leaving. Thus I suspect that his performances relative to other teams may suffer as we go forth.

I'd like to say Mark but agree with the view that his start caused him so much grief in the first place.
Hamilton's race was a terrific recovery after the tyre disaster. He was fortunate not to wreck the car by having to bring it back almost an entire lap to the pits but what a storming drive to pick up 4th place.

Rosberg held it all together and took a great win when many others had problems.

Both Ferrari drivers worked hard all day and then there's the two Force India drivers.

There were many stand out performances by everyone.

I think it was Hamiltons race to lose if it hadn't have been for the tyre issue and for him to keep his composure in the car (something he's not always good at) and for the several laps toe to toe with De Resta he deserves my driver of the day award.

I don't understand people saying storming drives through the pack, :dunno: without the safety cars the likes of Webber Massa and Hamilton would have been nowhere, they would have probably bobbed into the points at best.....

Hamilton had a great drive but was assisted by the safety car, so too was Webber. For me it has to be Alonso. From 9th to 4th, then after being hindered by the safety car rejoined in 8th and with seven laps to go drove through to 3rd, once again remaining error free achieving his result. Others had good drivers spoilt by errors.

Falling back to 21st place after losing the lead through no fault of his own, running at a competitive pace, passing cars to wind up in 4th place at race's end......Lewis my driver of the day.

Safety cars always have, and always will play an important role in the outcome of any race.........Hell, some drivers wouln't have won a particular race, if it wasn't for numerous safety cars.

Hamilton had a great drive but was assisted by the safety car, so too was Webber. For me it has to be Alonso. From 9th to 4th, then after being hindered by the safety car rejoined in 8th and with seven laps to go drove through to 3rd, once again remaining error free achieving his result. Others had good drivers spoilt by errors.

So Hamilton and Webber benefited the safety car, but Alonso didn't? He came in for a new set of tires and overtook the guys on old tires. How is that being hindered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom