• Yes

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
There was some discussion within the FIA of doing away with tyre warming blankets a couple of years ago but, ultimately, this idea was shelved. I'm not against progress in F1, this is simply to find out what you folks think about the continued use of tyre blankets.

Currently, when a car leaves the pits, the tyres are very near their optimal temperature meaning the car is up to full speed within two or three corners of a pit stop. Would it be better for the drivers to have to spend a lap or two warming the tyres up to racing temperature or should there be no penalty for stopping for new rubber, particularly as there are enforced pit stops due the marshmallow compounds Pirelli are now supplying.

For me, the answer is both yes and no. No for the original set of tyres--there would be even more chaos in the first turn of each race if everyone was on cold tyres ( and I am not sure the warm-up lap generates enough heat on its own). Yes for all replacement sets. Tyre management skills on the cold rubber would become more of a factor, not just controlling a car on cold tyres, but not taxing them so much they degrade prematurely.

Brogan I thought this had been discussed and rejected or was that when it was being mooted for 2011?

Bro,

To me, the laughable thing about the proposed ban is that it is supposed to be a cost-saving measure. Rather like saying "the Bugatti Veyron is far too expensive. To lower the cost, we'll do away with the chrome bit that surrounds the Bugatti emblem".

Massive no from me. Half the cars wouldn't make it round the first lap. If you've ever tried to race on completely cold slick tyres you'll know that it's like trying to roller-skate on an ice-rink. If they were to do this then the tyres would need to modified dramatically or they would need to introduce rolling starts.

Having said all that, I would prefer rolling starts.

Ah. Brogan. I missed your point about GP2. That perhaps sways my opinions. I've only raced on very hard durable race tyres which are very difficult to get heat into.

Massive no from me. Half the cars wouldn't make it round the first lap. If you've ever tried to race on completely cold slick tyres you'll know that it's like trying to roller-skate on an ice-rink. If they were to do this then the tyres would need to modified dramatically or they would need to introduce rolling starts.

Having said all that, I would prefer rolling starts.

They manage just fine in other series where they don't have tyre warmers.

I said no but I do think they should limit the temperature of the blankets so that the tyres are not so close to racing temperature when leaving the pits just to add a bit of spice..

The way I see it is with the advent of gimmicks such as DRS and KERS to make the show more watchable for less well informed half fan then why not use the blankets as well, I'm sure there are some other gimmicks that the powers that be can come up with as well..

I have voted no. F1 cars accelerate and corner faster than any other road racing formula and along with the ban on traction control grip is everything. The construction of the tyres is such that the pre-heating has to be within limits dictated by the manufacturer (i.e. Pirelli) to avoid overheating, therefore the tyres are not at their optimum temperature due to heat loss during the time lag between removing the warmers, changing the wheels and getting back up to speed on track.

We also saw this weekend the consequences of expecting too much from cool tyres. I suspect that there are some drivers who would have such a hard time managing their own exuberance, on very much colder rubber, that their time in F1 will be shorter than it already should be.:)

Fenderman, I was trying to say that earlier and then I lost faith in my convictions. I'm a bit stumped to be honest and I think only the drivers could answer this. I tried to make a judgement based on recent karting experience, but in reality it's all down to the rubber and the karts I've been racing are all on hard slicks come rain or shine.

I'm going to have to sit on the fence now. I really don't think I'm able to make an informed judgement.

Did I mention I voted no they should not get rid of them just reduce the temperature the tyres leave the pit at? I don't see how that would be different from following a safety car that's all...

ExtremeNinja rolling starts??? :clip:

I don't care as long as the rules are the same for everyone. That said if the impact is big enough we may see less put stops or drivers staying out longer.

I voted no.Before tyre blakets F1 teams used these type of infra red tyre warmers.This type can heat tyres to 100C if neccesary.
Still used in some series.
irths_03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom