Second Indian F1 circuit plans revealed

Well. Clearly the Indian nation has high ambitions to develop the presence of motorsport in India. I can't see why that is such a bad thing. India is a large country with a hefty populous. If they want to race motor vehicles and want to build somewhere to race them, then why should that bother any of us?

Maybe thats the new plan, once its shared with SKY we’ll only get to see half the races so Bernie is going to obscenely wealthy people to hosts two GP’s per country so at least we’ll all get to see a race in each one.

God bless that man.

Well. Clearly there are high ambitions to develop the presence of motorsport in India. I can't see why that is such a bad thing. India is a large country with a hefty populous. If they want to race motor vehicles and want to build somewhere to race them, then why should that bother any of us?

True, India does account for 17% of the entire world's population so a huge potential fan base and considering that 40,000 fans turned up just to watch Hamilton do some promo the fan base is already.

That said, when I saw the thread title I thought it would a joke after the US second GP thread!

Well. Clearly there are high ambitions to develop the presence of motorsport in India. I can't see why that is such a bad thing. India is a large country with a hefty populous. If they want to race motor vehicles and want to build somewhere to race them, then why should that bother any of us?
Yeah, I mean Britain has a number of fantastic motor circuits, maybe India will strive to do the same. It could have its own series like the touring cars or something...

India did have 1.2 Billion people on 1st March 2011 & well we have reached the 7 Billion Milestone this week haven't we.

The USA & India are both looking at 2nd tracks, we have to remember in the USA is 2.5 times bigger than Europe with similar population levels. India & Europe are a similar size, India having 3 times as many people.

So just having a race each is like having just 1 race in Europe (we'd go nuts).........so even 2 races a year in each of these countries you'd think they would be able to fill the track with spectators.

But just taking that as a simple approach........looking at the top 10 populated countries let's just do a check:

1 China, People's Republic 1.4 Billion - Dull 'Check'
2 India 1.2 Billion - Unknown 'Check'
3 United States 312,488,000 Are they still building 'Check'
4 Indonesia 237,556,363 - Nothing yet for Jakarta - Miss
5 Brazil 190,732,694 - Mighty fine 'Check'
6 Pakistan 177,608,000 - Errmmm No
7 Nigeria 158,423,000 - Not a GP in Africa let alone a country
8 Bangladesh 151,493,000 - Would have to avoid the Monsoon & flooding period
9 Russia 142,914,136 - Aren't we getting one soon 'Check'
10 Japan 127,720,000 - Okay but slighty dull 'Check'

So goes to show that High Population > Money ≠ Great GP - So concludes our Maths lesson for today, sorry but I'd rather have a race round the Vatican City than another track round India, it's a 50:50 chance of it being a decent track irrespective of where it is.............

Its not just about population, though is it. One and a half billion people not watching Formula One is worse than Sixty Million people watching Formula One.

And Monaco doesn't have a high population, does it?

China? Dull? didn't we have one of the best races of the year there this year and last year? 09 was pretty good too I seem to remember.

Chinese track is alright with me!
Yeah, China nearly always seems to produce great races (apart from 2008).

It's not just about population, but the fact that we already have races in 4 of the top 10 countries with the largest populations and soon it’ll be 6 when the USA and Russia join the calendar shows that it must be somewhat of a factor.

Monaco might not have a large population, but it does have history and money.

>6 Pakistan 177,608,000 - Errmmm No

LOL

>India is a large country with a hefty populous

Populous on the brain?

Based on Silverstone, many people would expect an Indian circuit designed by them to be better than Tilke's effort, though.

I do not think there is sufficient interest OR money in India to support even the single F1 circuit.

How do you sell a €250 weekend ticket in a country where the average annual income is €2500? And the poverty in the state surrounding the Buddh circuit is among the worst in India, with 60%+ living on one Euro a day -- or less -- compared to nearer 40% throughout the whole of India.

So if India can not or will not support the circuit, will the international jet set? Will they endure the long aeroplane ride to a place where even the 5-star hotels have rusty tapwater and you can't eat anything you didn't bring with you without running the risk of contracting dysentery? All this to watch another processional around still another Tilke-drome?

If there were an interest in motor racing in general, India already should have its own healthy grass roots racing subculture. Including Buddh, they now have five dedicated motor racing circuits (plus a couple of aerodromes that sometimes host the odd autocross or gymkhana). Yet India has four times the population of the USA and five times the land area of France. IMHO, that speaks to a very low level of interest.

A second circuit? I think the potential investors would be wise to see if the GP of India survives to 2013 before they write that cheque.

How do you sell a €250 weekend ticket in a country where the average annual income is €2500? And the poverty in the state surrounding the Buddh circuit is among the worst in India, with 60%+ living on one Euro a day -- or less -- compared to nearer 40% throughout the whole of India.

This doesn't fully answer any of your (probably rhetorical :)) questions, but if you combine the two facts quoted above (average income €2500, yet over 60% living on €1) there must also logically be a large number of people with an income larger than €2500 - in many cases significantly larger. In fact, India still has room for a fair number (if still only a small percentage) of affluent middle class citizens, who are obviously the ones being aimed at.

But you're right, a 2nd circuit so soon does seem ambitious...

Back
Top Bottom