Sebastian Vettel likes to turn right!

The '606' concensus is that Button can't race and isn't a racer... just a very lucky boy. Thankfully, TBY's stats help to put that to rest; and help justify my long held belief in him. Of course, last year JB was also very good at qualifying but that was the car... and Ross Brawn's supernatural powers.

I find Seb incredibly frustrating... I can see the talent but only when there is no-one else on the circuit. What I can't understand is how he can keep his seat / licence with the current level of basic errors. If he were driving for HRT I'm sure the FIA would be a lot less lenient.

There is an arguement that can blame natural instability in the car but I don't fully by into this... he was still full of basic errors / poor driving last year and we didn't blame the car then.

I don't see Seb getting a championship for some years to come. Over the years (and I started with Alan Jones... but I was only small) even the 'bad champions' managed to avoid hitting people for the vast majority of the season. ;)

What irritates me is the crystal ball gazing "He will win a Championship someday" stuff. He very well may win a Championship someday, I am not saying that is impossible, but you never know.

Vettel will have to fight Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and/or Robert Kubica in the next couple of years; and you never know just who's lurking in the junior formulae to be excellent in the years beyond that. There are no guarantees.

I remember people saying Juan Pablo Montoya would win the World Championship some day.

I'm not doubting Vettel's ability to change - he's 23 years old. The Felipe Massa of 2002 would not be near a title in a Ferrari 2008, for example. However, it is unlikely that Vettel will ever get a better car to go at, and the promise of future success is errant enough that if you get a chance (even at the age of 23) you must take it, for life is not as clear-cut as Eddie Jordan's crystal ball. If he doesn't ever take the title, 2010 could be his greatest regret.

He's not out of it yet this year, but if his current run of brain farts continue it is difficult to see how the calmer heads of Hamilton and particularly Webber could fail to take advantage with the points lead they have accrued.

Charley's Dad said:
I don't see Seb getting a championship for some years to come. Over the years (and I started with Alan Jones... but I was only small) even the 'bad champions' managed to avoid hitting people for the vast majority of the season.

In fact, thats what separates the 'bad champions' from the 'good runners-up'!

I think the very fact that every is so so sure that he will win the title in the future is a major disadvantage for the young lad. A little too much like tempting fate for me.

Montoya is a great example (I can't beleive I let him slip my mind)... I loved watching him race and his abaility to say what he thought took me back to the days of Keke; a breath of fresh air in the near recent years (or maybe a touch of rose tinted memory going on).

Montoya was exciting to watch when he had his day but was too temperamental to hold it together consistantly. I seem to remeber F1 mag running Montoya to be champion stories every other month...

Of course, like Vettel people also liked to blame the car...

Charley's Dad said:
What I can't understand is how he can keep his seat / licence with the current level of basic errors. If he were driving for HRT I'm sure the FIA would be a lot less lenient.

Because Bernie loves him and is desperate for another German F1 Champ. From memory, viewing figures in Germany dropped when Schumacher quit and I suspect Bernie is concerned the same thing may happen again in 2 years time.

There have been other F1 drivers who did win the WDC despite having an accident prone career.Probably the best known is none other than (Hunt the shunt) our own James Hunt.
Jody Scheckter who won the WDC in 1979 I believe it was was involved in more than his fair share of accidents.

Oddly enough, my fiance and I were at Silverstone in 1973. He'd never been to a race before and I bought the tickets as a birthday treat - £15 for two!!

An explosive introduction to the world of F1.

Back
Top Bottom