Rosetta awakens, does great job, crashed, job done.

I'm trying to work out how I can pretend I need to do some urgent work on the only computers in our office that will play the live feed when in actual fact I need to be over the road on a different part of the site for most of this afternoon, taking part in some other urgent work.

:thinking:

Landing gear deployed and photo sent back by Philae of Rosetta.

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 14.17.56.png

May of celebrated to soon. Now being told the harpoons did NOT fire and the thruster did not fire. Rossetta taking high res photos to try and find Philae. The good news is the landing gear only depressed 4cm which was much less than expected so it could of been a soft landing.

Still some concern though if the anchor failed to deploy properly. Presumably the comet has not much gravity to speak of. If the thing keeps moving around on the surface you don't know what it'll do?

What if re-firing the anchors causes the probe to detach itself from the comet? No stabilising thruster applying the force in the reverse direction.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess... to be fair ever successful probe mission has had one or two scares and glitches along the way.

Back
Top Bottom