Ricciardo to replace Karthikeyan - Confirmed

I really think this move could backfire on Ricciardo. He was looking a dead cert for a seat next year, he should have just held out for it. What if he has a terrible time of it in that car? That might put other teams of him for a good few years. Look at Grosjean who was hyped up, and then got thrown into the 2009 Renault. Where is he now?

Besides there's not much he can do in that car. All he can do really is try and out-qualify Liuzzi.

I'm pretty sure he will still be tied to Red Bull once the season is over. I do get a feeling he will be battling with Algersuari and Buemi for the number 2 Red Bull seat next season.

This must be good for the "World Series" as well. Robert Wickens has had the measure of Ricciardo at nearly every meeting this year. Wickens has been around that series for longer though, so I guess it's not really a perfect comparison.

It should be very interesting to see how Danny gets on with it in the HRT. Just finishing the race would be a good achievement I believe.

I'm pretty sure he will still be tied to Red Bull once the season is over. I do get a feeling he will be battling with Algersuari and Buemi for the number 2 Red Bull seat next season.

He will.Its only a collaboration agreement for this season at the moment.

Looking at this from HRT's point of view I guess its become clear to them that thier cars do have the potential to beat the Virgin cars but its clearly been seen that with NK at the wheel that was never going to happen on a reg basis. Someone like Ricciardo with a hunger to prove himself to aim for a bigger drive is really likely to push this - and push Liuzzi along too. NK knew he was just toddling along for memories to show the grandkids.

Plus I'm sure theres a "we'll scratch your back if your scratch ours" arrangement with Red Bull for them which will help them no end. Lets give credit where credit is due by the way for HRT to be up there alost in front of the Virgin cars from where they were in Australia is a massive acheivement - maybe a few favours from the teams further up is just what they need to get them into a position where they're taken seriously. Worked for Lotus!

Also it'll be interesting to see how much closer(if any) HRT are to Lotus with the rule change coming in.

Also it'll be interesting to see how much closer(if any) HRT are to Lotus with the rule change coming in.

There is quite a gap between Lotus to Virgin and HRT, the F1 Racing mag had an article on the difference between the Lotus and Virgin cars pace wise, Virgin were only 5-6 times ahead or on pace with Lotus in 25 races, and this year I think there has been a 1 second gap constantly.

I think Rasputin makes a good point that it will favour HRT to have a "hungry" driver ready to prove himself which will help the team get both cars ahead of Virgin.

But then Hammydigrassi and Bus Stop chicane that it could be a bad move for Ricciardo, he wont have experience in the car (like Grosjean) it will be halfway through the season, and Liuzzi will definitely have the upper hand if that's who they are going to compare him to. (Although Grosjean in this situation was very disadvantaged and I would like to see him get a fair opportunity.)

It could be a bad move for Ricciardo, but I don't think the Grosjean comparison stood up. He won't have the Briatore/Alonso thing going on in the other car, and he won't be driving with the world's attention on the team because they're a bunch of cheating :censored:.

HRT have been lapped in their time by all of the other teams, the Safety Car and a caterpillar which accidentally stumbled onto the track, but they were nearly lapped by HRT last week! They seemed to think that there is no point carrying Karthikeyan just for the Indian Grand Prix.

Its a good move, a less pressured situation and a chance to test out four Red Bull young drivers [Buemi vs Alguersuari and Liuzzi vs Ricciardo] with three of them eligible to take Mark Webber's seat when he gives up the ghost.

The Hamilton-Ricciardo partnership will serve Red Bull well from 2015 onwards, when they're trying to catch up to Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso in the Lotus. ;) You heard it here first!

The Hamilton-Ricciardo partnership will serve Red Bull well from 2015 onwards, when they're trying to catch up to Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso in the Lotus. ;) You heard it here first!

Which Lotus team you talking about? come to think of it will there be a Lotus team by 2015? they might be Skoda and Brabham by then!

Which Lotus team you talking about? come to think of it will there be a Lotus team by 2015? they might be Skoda and Brabham by then!

That would make my prediction even less likely to come true now, wouldn't it?

Back on topic, this move makes sense for everyone!

It to me seems desperation to get a F1 seat, for me Alguersuari is still on the watchlist so maybe should have kept him on with a decent team.

Have to disagree with you on that Sarinaide - 2 races ago Alguersuari was on the road to very early F1 obscurity and although he pulled his socks up in the last 2 (was lucky in Canada) has given him a repreive for a short time especially as he didn't have a great season last year. With the testing ban putting Ricciardo in an HRT is a great way to give him F1 experience. Still wouldn't rule him out of being in a Toro Rosso before end of the season if he impresses.

Have to disagree with you on that Sarinaide - 2 races ago Alguersuari was on the road to very early F1 obscurity and although he pulled his socks up in the last 2 (was lucky in Canada) has given him a repreive for a short time especially as he didn't have a great season last year. With the testing ban putting Ricciardo in an HRT is a great way to give him F1 experience. Still wouldn't rule him out of being in a Toro Rosso before end of the season if he impresses.

I meant that Alguersuari is by no means out of the spot light, I think a failure or two and Ricciardo would be in a Torro Rosso, I think an HRT is not a good drive for anyone wanting a career in F1

All depends how well he does. If he beats Luizzi he will have done well.

sorry Sarinaide thought you meant one to watch list! lol. Completely agree with then! lol

as for the HRT - its the next best thing to testing isn't it? I agree for a young guy coming from nowhere it wouldn't do him that much good but he's already being courted by Red Bull and as they know Liuzzi they have a bench mark for him to prove himself against.

Also if you think about it HRT didn't do Chandock any harm - I doubt before he took that drive he'd have got the Lotus test drive job and have people talking him up for a race seat.

Back
Top Bottom