Ricciardo to replace Karthikeyan - Confirmed

"It's a dream come true for me!" said Ricciardo. "I had to pinch myself a couple of times to be sure that it's real."

Wow, racing for HRT that good!

(OK, I've left out the crucial "for the first time on an F1 starting grid")

I think we need to get Leonardo di Caprio into Ricciardo's dreams and sort them out Inception style!

Good move by HRT. They needed to replace Karthikeyan - consistently qualified last!!! (Last race, wasn't he over a second behind Liuzzi in quali???)

Has it never occured to you guys that Karthikeyan called it quites since he has the worst record which he set last week? :snigger:

I don't think so, because apparently he is racing in the Indian GP, but after that, probably

From the HRT website:

Hispania Racing and Red Bull Racing signed a collaboration deal today which allows young Australian talent Daniel Ricciardo to join the Spanish team as its official driver.

The current Formula 1 World Champion team has shown trust in Hispania Racing’s project and has chosen José Ramón Carabante’s team as a support for the formation and development of its driver.

Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo, who was behind the steering-wheel in every first practice session of the eight grand prix up to now, will finally see his dream come true and become a Formula 1 race-driver starting from next week’s British Grand Prix.

Daniel Ricciardo joins Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi as official drivers of the Spanish Formula 1 team, Hispania Racing.

José Ramón Carabante, Chairman of Hispania Racing: “This agreement is a reward for all the hard work Hispania Racing has shown since we started in Formula 1 last year. We’re proud that the Formula 1 World Champion team has trusted us in their effort of developing their drivers. Let’s hope that this is just the start of a fruitful relationship”.

Colin Kolles, Hispania Racing Team Principal: “I’m happy to welcome Daniel to the team; I’m glad the Team managed to conclude this deal together with Dr. Helmut Marko who deserves my personal respect".

Daniel Ricciardo: “It’s a dream come true for me – for the first time on an F1 starting grid! I had to pinch myself a couple of times to be sure that it’s real. I’m excited and can hardly wait to drive at Silverstone. It’s a new challenge, a new experience, a new team, but I’m ready and will give of my best in any event".

http://www.hispaniaracing.com/news.php?nid=401#

I was really hoping this wouldn't happen to Ricciardo as he is a talented driver coming through the ranks at Red Bull. Really not a big fan off talented drivers replacing other drivers in the middle of the season. You only have to look at Roman Grosjean to understand my reason.

Was hoping that Ricciardo would at least get a seat next season after a full winter of pre-season training. So he could actually get a chance to shine, so hence my disappointment that he's joined HRT now.

Isn't it better for Ricciardo to get some race experience instead of spending the whole season on the sideline? A seat in a HRT is better than no seat at all. Just ask Chandhok!

It doesn't make sense to go to an HRT, you become cannon fodder at the back of the grid. I guess you take seats where they come, ask Hulkenberg about that.

I don't see what's wrong with this. It's not as though he has left Toro Rosso, he has simply joined HRT for race experience.
Like F1 Yorkshire said, it's better to drive an HRT for 5 sessions a weekend, than the Toro Rosso for just 1.

Wow - I go on strike for the day and miss news on the net!

A bit of a suprise this one as thought he'd be in at Toro Rosso but as some have said before Jamie saved his bacon in the last 2 races.

I think the key to this move is Liuzzi - remember he came through the Red Bulls young driver scheme so they already have an idea of how quick he is so there going to use him as a marker for Ricciardo. If he can have Liuzzi beat by the end of the year they'll know he's got the potential they thought he had.

I still think they are grooming Ricciardo to replace Webber rather than the 2 at Rosso which is why they're desprete to get him some F1 experience this year in case Webber throws in the towel after this season.

Of course the whole plan will change when Lewis being brought into the team is forced upon them. ;)

Good point about Liuzzi Raspy - I'd forgotten that RBR & TR both have experience with Tonio, and to do a reasonably direct comparison between him & Ricciardo makes a lot of sense, IMO.

Although the Red Bull Young Driver Programme doesn't appear on the surface to have borne much fruit, they do seem to be trying to develop a more coherent system for bringing young drivers through and evaluating the next generation of talent. I suppose that ultimately it's impossible to create a "driver sausage machine", as the imponderables of form/equipment/circumstance can skew results from one subject to another. When you consider that for the last few decades F1 drivers have been selected on the basis of lower-category performance, clever management or the bankroll they bring, then you have to doff your cap to Red Bull for at least trying to quantify the process. :goodday:

Back
Top Bottom