Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

So if Porsche enter F1 in 2026, at least we have an end date for Verstappen's consecutive run of WDCs.. 4 in a row from 22 to 25 and then it will be someone else's turn.
Let's see if he sulks then

The buy in by Porsche is interesting though as I thought they just want to supply engines

Last time Porsche were in F1 it was a major disaster with Arrows back in 1991

The engine was seriously overweight weighing 210kg instead of 145kg and kacked power such that it was dropped for the Cosworth engine

Porsche only real success was because Mclaren were willing to fund the engine building so that is why they need Red Bull this time to get it right for them

So we had the engine rules freeze as Honda were pulling out of F1 and it would have been "unfair" on Red Bull to take on responsibility for developing as well as building it's "own" power units. And no Honda have announced that they will still be working with Red Bull on their engines until 2025.

Anyone else feel like Red Bull are deliberately twisting the regulations to ensure have an advantage? I cannot believe that FIA and FOM can continually be taken in by this bunch of shysters. And they then have the brass neck to claim that the rules on cars porpoising should not be introduced.

This sport really is broken isn't it.

Time for Andre Lotterer to make his F1 comeback.
i remember his 1 & only race in F1 when he was stupidly saying that his LMP1 was quicker. when of course it was as he was driving the worst car on the grid 5-6 seconds of Mercedes. but its hardly fair comparison. although his reputation in Formula E is hardly a good one

Anyone else feel like Red Bull are deliberately twisting the regulations to ensure have an advantage? I cannot believe that FIA and FOM can continually be taken in by this bunch of shysters
well its horner & red bull all over consistently complaining about things that are against him. its the same attitude that had culpability in the Abu Dhabi. old habits die hard & he couldnt wait to start pestering Michael Masi to do everything in his power to have it restarted under green & without looking suggest the idea that was the deathknell of his FIA career.

So we had the engine rules freeze as Honda were pulling out of F1 and it would have been "unfair" on Red Bull to take on responsibility for developing as well as building it's "own" power units. And no Honda have announced that they will still be working with Red Bull on their engines until 2025.

Anyone else feel like Red Bull are deliberately twisting the regulations to ensure have an advantage? I cannot believe that FIA and FOM can continually be taken in by this bunch of shysters. And they then have the brass neck to claim that the rules on cars porpoising should not be introduced.

This sport really is broken isn't it.
Yes quite convenient that they dont want a Renault engine when the rules stipulate they must because they don't want to be partnered with Mercedes or Ferrari . Either Honda will come back in F1 by 2026 or Porsche will takeover..which could leave Honda looking for another team.....Mclaren or Williams?

Yes, yes it is.

I watched Le Mans 66 last weekend and while they twisted the story a little, it does highlight how bad things have got.

It left one massive question in my mind.

What is the point of motorsport these days?
Whilst I knew the GT40 was product of Boreham Wood I didn't realise the input in the US in installing the 7litre lump was also engineered by a Brit, it seems to have been overshadowed by the Shelby myth, but his company was renowned for using UK chassis and bodies, indications on the film seem attribute the Cobra to Ken Miles.
They were bending rule interpretation back then with the complete suspension disc module change, yes legal but not within the spirit, that's what happens with big bucks involvement, the end result justifies the means no matter who gets trampled, but there again Ferrari ruled even back then.

That is n0 agreement at this point

Were Porsche worried that Red Bull will blame them if they were on a losing streak?

Karen going to ask FIA to bend the rules again or worried he might have no job as part of the deal

Or Honda actually want to come back?

Dont forget Dietrich is getting on a bit so does he still want to use his billions to fund the team?

from what i was hearing i think porsche were wanting a stake in the senior team or to take over the junior team & red bull didnt want to give either
Like I said Dietrich is nearly 80 years old , can he keep bankrolling the teams?

Also Karen would lose his job no doubt

I suspect Honda will be back even though Porsche and Red Bull could still try to agree something

Mclaren and Williams might seriously consider the chance now with Porsche

The biggest problem for any team going with Porsche is how good is the engine going to be, Honda took four years to get it right, Renault even longer, buying a team has the problem of the car design being uncompetitive, starting from scratch with both could be even worse. The engine designers and car designers are expensive to recruit and the senior ones they want are really expensive, what's Adrian Newey worth to poach and would he be interested in mega bucks he must either be on them now or has a contract most teams wouldn't accept his conditions. Audi seem to own Cosworth Technology and Mercedes own what used to be Ilmor, is a Honda F1 engine hive off and buyout possible, unless Porsche are already a long way down an engine development they have a hard struggle in the next four years as the engine suppliers will be experimenting with parts already for 2026 on the track.

The biggest problem for any team going with Porsche is how good is the engine going to be, Honda took four years to get it right, Renault even longer, buying a team has the problem of the car design being uncompetitive, starting from scratch with both could be even worse. The engine designers and car designers are expensive to recruit and the senior ones they want are really expensive, what's Adrian Newey worth to poach and would he be interested in mega bucks he must either be on them now or has a contract most teams wouldn't accept his conditions. Audi seem to own Cosworth Technology and Mercedes own what used to be Ilmor, is a Honda F1 engine hive off and buyout possible, unless Porsche are already a long way down an engine development they have a hard struggle in the next four years as the engine suppliers will be experimenting with parts already for 2026 on the track.
Red Bull used Alpha Tauri as a guinea pig to test the Honda engines because both needs aligned. Were Porsche wanting to go with the big team before the junior team which may have lead to differences about whom should be employed or not?

I think gambling with Williams is not a bad move for Porsche at Red Bull's loss but as Mercedes and BMW proved which seems to be a German manufacturer belief they want to run the whole operation even Audi as well.

So interesting to see what Porsche will do now as they made it clear they are not Alfa Romeo who are just a badged Ferrari so dont want to be a badged Audi

yeah that doesn't sound good for red bull but surely with there profits. they should be fine

but another reason why the budget cap was needed & why we should be falling over ourselves to help any serious people than want to join our sport. because F1 seems to live in a world where nothing will go wrong. not the 1 where with 20 cars. we are 1 team away from major crisis & its a miracle with issues of the last decade we have kept 20 cars on the grid

‘we are 1 team away from major crisis’

Oh ffs. I’ve not bothered to converse with anyone much on this forum lately because it’s mostly filled with this sort of baying fatalism and general knee-jerk crap, not to mention a largely biased fan base that instead of being positive towards teams and drivers that are admired - it’s negative toward the those that are not. Neg neg neg. Without balance this just becomes a downward spiral.

‘its a miracle with issues of the last decade we have kept 20 cars on the grid’

@F1_Brits_90 fair play to you for your energy one this forum regardless of what I think of your views, and bravo for keeping the Grid Game going - but this isn’t worthy of the gutter press.

Given that I’m not prepared to engage further with CTA, my inclusion in the Grid Game is finished. Delete my account, goodbye.

20221005_095217.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom