Queensferry Crossing, HMS Queen Elizabeth and all things Royal Navy

Yeah, not sure I'd like to even try to take off in a C130 - I doubt the catapult would have enough force to move it and it would be unlikely to reach V2.

I wonder how they got it off.

Probably just shoved it over the side.

Here's another incredible image. This, from what I have read, was taken in 1902 and is the Holland 3 submarine sailing (do submarines sail?) past a still floating HMS Victory in Portsmouth harbour.

340651692_954544189310942_6693962481419505046_n.jpg

342727243_813007880155958_5213392546300579867_n.jpg

Portsmouth Dockyard 1968. The article I got the image from said:

The unfinished Majestic class light fleet carrier "Leviathan" lies alongside Berth 8 in Number 3 Basin. Her boilers had been sold to the shipyard refitting the Argentinian aircraft carrier Vienticinco de Mayo (V-2). She would be scrapped in May 1968.

The decommissioned HMS Centaur (R06) alongside the North West Wall, was acting as an accommodation ship. The catapults seem to have been removed. HMS Victorious (R38) which is alongside Middle Slip Jetty was decommissioned on March 13, 1968.

In the foreground is the County class destroyer, HMS Fife (D20)

A Rothesay class frigate is alongside the South West Wall.

Another County class destroyer in Loch C with another in the distance.

This was when we had a Navy that consisted of more than working and one broken aircraft carrier.

Last edited:
The unfinished Majestic class light fleet carrier "Leviathan" lies alongside Berth 8 in Number 3 Basin. Her boilers had been sold to the shipyard refitting the Argentinian aircraft carrier Vienticinco de Mayo (V-2). She would be scrapped in May 1968.
More on that here:

What a colossal (see what I did there?) waste of resources, money, and time.
That's par for the course with the military/government though.

When I was in the RAF, we were working on a system which was still being implemented after 20 years. It took 25 years to complete.
To give you an idea how outdated it was, it used punched tape and this was 1994.
By the time it was finished it was beyond obsolete.

I served with a guy whose first ship was the Fife. It was apprently known as "the Fire Fife" on account of the number of times she caught fire.

The ships were originally catagorised as "light cruisers" but they were commisioned as destroyers because when they were on the drawing board the RN was in the process of scrapping their cruiser squadrons and didn't want the government to cancel the County class as no longer required. The ships themselves were built around the "Sea Slug" anti-aircraft missile. It was pretty much obsolete before the ships entered service.

I spent time on HMS Kent when I was a cadet and when I first joined the RN as she was an accomodation and training vessel in Portsmouth until replaced by HMS Bristol in 1994.

This Pathe Clip shows the Sea Slug in action:

Rumour was Leviathan had a bent keel and had been used as a spare parts supplier to Victorious which was originally of the same class, not sure but I think she was ordered during the war and cancelled soon after the war ended. Victorious was scrapped after a serious fire on 1 deck accommodation that spread to the island and took out very expensive electronic equipment, seeing she had finished a major refit the year before it was decided by the Labour government to scrap her as Hermes, Eagle and Ark Royal were adequate for the country's needs

Apparently The Prince of Wales is being used for spares for Queen Elizabeth, so little changes in the way the MoD operates all these years later.

That is fairly normal as a ship in refit or long term maintenance will be used as a donor based on supply time, unfortunately the days of spares in store for "just in case" have long gone, it is different to Leviathan which was never to be commissioned.
The big problem with no "just in case" is that when it is needed it may well be obsolete and you then need to procure a substitute that A. fits and B. doesn't cause problems, this can cost more than buying for store, with only two ships in class buying for store tends to be more expensive as there is no history of MTBF and in the carrier's case it could be 20 years or 5 years

Prince of Wales is back home. Can you imagine being able to publish a picture like this of Russian warships in dock?

1691415543308.png

Back
Top Bottom