Queensferry Crossing, HMS Queen Elizabeth and all things Royal Navy

On another subject, I was in Thailand and wandered past the main Thai naval base. The sailors were mainly wearing khaki uniforms which could be to do with all the pollution in the sea around Thailand, but they still the flappy bit hanging behind their neck. What is that called and why do navies across the world have it?

On another subject, I was in Thailand and wandered past the main Thai naval base. The sailors were mainly wearing khaki uniforms which could be to do with all the pollution in the sea around Thailand, but they still the flappy bit hanging behind their neck. What is that called and why do navies across the world have it?
It's called a collar.

When the RN uniform was standardised in the 1850's, the jacket had a removable collar which could be taken off washed separately to the jacket. It's far easier to replace a dirty collar than the whole jacket.

The collar was originally tied on but now its velcro'd in position. Its normally Ironed so that it folds in to three with two upward creases either side of a downward crease.

Many Navies around the world copied the RN designs.

I'm assuming a predictive text error but the collar is just hang over from the old tarred pigtail/ pony tail hairstyle most sailor wore in the 18th and 19th centuries, as cider says it kept the jacket clean from the tar stains

Boaty McBoat Face arrives in Portsmouth

1669029303743.png

Remember this taking up a few pages in the Pink publication in the 70's, the security publication on USSR and other possible non friendly countries military new weapon and launch systems mainly biased towards marine weaponry, it was quite impressive, gave the history of the Ektoplan project from the early days of one man machines, strangely the problems it had were similar to this years F1 cars in porpoising, however these were overcome as they increased in size, did the learn from Williams F1 who perfected ground effect? The Buccaneer naval fighter bomber used the same technique and technology to attack at ground level, I had a conversation with an ex Buccaneer maintainer who had a flight in one, stating at 10ft above the ground you could push the stick hard forward and it wouldn't crash, so providing the terrain was sloping and there were no steep or vertical obstructions the plane could stay at that height without pilot intervention.
The article was very comprehensive describing the trials and problems the Russians encountered with the prototypes and its payload together with the surmised deployment. There was a plan to buy them and use them as cross channel high speed ferries after the collapse of the Soviet Union but it came to zero, possibly navigating at near 400mph across the channel at a height that could collide with many merchant ships killed it off, or it was far too thirsty on fuel to be viable.

Last edited:
The Blackburn Buccaneer was another outstanding British aircraft.

Here's some footage of a mock attack against an RN destroyer. They are flying trouser browningly low. For refrence the main deck of a type 42 was roughly 20 feet above sea level and they're flying past lower than that.

Incredible flying

I was on Victorious as a Tiff apprentice maintaining the Deck Landing Projector, a stabilised light system the pilots followed that landed them at the first arrestor wire, we deployed the first Buccaneer2 aircraft, lost one on launch off Cornwall due to an error in tailplane angle with empty drop tanks, crew ejected OK, some months later a nice new shiny Buccaneer arrived in Hong Kong with 6 hours on the clock on a cargo raft complete with a test pilot to prove the tailplane setting was correct and not what the squadron engineers had worked out, that the settings in the manual were wrong. To cut a long story short the crew ejected on launch as the aircraft rolled and stalled, the test pilot was flown ashore leaving the wardroom mess manager with a large unpaid bar bill.
I was in Flyco one afternoon when Cdr Air informed one Buccaneer pilot that if he got the aircraft wet he would be washing it all day Sunday on his own, yes he was that low.
We also entered into an aircraft launch competition with the USS Enterprise that had 4 catapults to our two, but we had auto align rollers on the catapults, however the Americans decided they would interfere with our launches by beating up our deck with Phantoms at mach1 plus, we replied with two Buccaneers at sea level at each side at mach1, yes the Buccaneer was designed subsonic but it could go supersonic.
There were a few British aircraft that went supersonic by accident one being the VC10 which had excursions to mach1when descending to JFK airport unless they were careful

Old sinky boat leaving Portsmouth harbour. You can see The Round in the background (thats the round one) and behind that the Square Tower (that's the one that isn't round). I'm not sure when the Towers were built but they have seen a huge number of different sea vehicles go past over the years.

324261503_499047835689537_8317247883607657363_n.jpg

Many families have stood on those towers to wave off or wave back ships coming and going on long overseas deployments..

Probably the most famous image of them in that context are ships returning from the Falklands War.

Surely it should read "The last time the flagship was refloated" I assume the dock wasn't immediately drained down, indications are that she stayed afloat for at least a number of weeks whilst the cradle was modified to raise Victory to her present height in the dock.

HMS Belfast leaving Portsmouth for London in 1971. The FB post says that she came back in 1999 for a bit of a spruce up, which is why she's now painted with the "camo" paint design.

336870639_177651118365535_1163276258356299544_n.jpg

We went down to Pompey to see her cone in but the rough weather delayed the tow and she arrived the following day.

A massive shame as it would have been amazing to see the old girl at sea.

A C130 Hercules on the flight deck of USS Forrestal in 1963. I don't believe it ever took off from a carrier, but it is the largest and heaviest aircraft to land on one.

340497012_186209543775231_2861509977435971613_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom