Qualifying tyres to return?

I read somewhere that the quali tyres could be up to 2 seconds a lap faster:blink: over one lap, but go off, so only one good lap in them really. So the drivers would have to use them only for their flying run in Q 3. This would mean a return to the all out quali lap without regard for saving tyres:D. And if the drivers only get one set, there'd be no knowing how they would perform. If they got two sets they could pracise one other time. The driver would have to be immediately on it and adapt to how the car behaved on the tyres. :thumbsup:

Also, why should you have an advantage for not getting into the next qualifying session? You already have the advantage of choosing what tyre you can start the race unlike the top 10 who have to start with the ones they qualified on.

You're not disadvantaging the drivers who get into the next session, as they have no obligation to run, and therefore are 1 place higher, and start on fresh rubber with new tyres (see PĂ©rez in Hungary).

I think just 2 sets of qualy tyres should be available over the three sessions, to add an element of strategy to qualifying. Will Red Bull get away with not using a set in Q1? It would also give the slower teams a better chance of getting into the race, and not get flummoxed by the 107% rule. Also, it would punish drivers more for mistakes in qualifying, much more than having numerous sets. In conclusion then, I think that there should be qualifying tyres, but only limit them to two sets over the entire hour, not per session.

If there were 2 sets of tyres per driver and they were 2 seconds faster than the option tyre I would expect that all the teams with the possible exception of the Red Bull, Mclaren and Alonso would use them in Q1. Then they all would have to use them in Q2, leaving 7 drivers to slog it out in Q3 with the other 3 with absolutely no chance.

Some of the spectacle would be removed.

You bring back Quali Tyres how long before they bring back Quali Engines? Don't like it let them manage their sets of tyres like they are doing now. Its better for the main event with is the race anyways.

I was just listening to the discussion during FP2 on 5 Live and I have to say I disagree with it if it means the drivers only ever see the tyre for qualifying.

That means they will do all of their practice and set up on normal tyres, then they'll have to qualify on a tyre they have never used, and then switch back to normal tyres for the race.

Back
Top Bottom