Qualifying & impeding/blocking

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Now that the number of cars has been increased to 26 24, are we going to see more instances of impeding/blocking and subsequent penalties during qualifying?

As we have seen in the past, even if a car is several hundred metres in front of another which is on a hot lap, that driver can still be penalised (Alonso/Massa, Monza 2006).

Then there's the problem of getting off the racing line, which can invariably mean cutting across it and also risking a penalty.

I don't think it will be an issue at most circuits but at some of the shorter ones it could be, such as:
Interlagos 4.3km
Hungaroring 4.4km
Catalunya 4.6km

And then of course there's Monaco which is a measly 3.3km.
I suspect we may well see problems there, especially considering how narrow it is in places with few runoff areas.

this'll be compounded by the many new drivers this year too...

gonna be real fun when we see a top end driver starting from pit lane or back of grid for a race

This is a very thorny issue and the qualifying system seems specifically designed to cause the optimum amount of incident and discord.

I hate the new system so much I am unable to discuss or even think about it rationally... it makes me so angry... >:( :givemestrength:

Good point, it probably will be more of an issue. Not least because the speed differential between the fast cars and the Loti/Virgins/HRTs will be greater than it has been for a long time.

It just relies on everyone being sensible I suppose. I wouldn't mind a change to the qualifying format but it isn't going to happen. At least with a former driver advising the stewards we might get more common sense and/or consistency. Well, one or the other would be nice.

One of the most profound improvements to F1 in recent times is actually just a knock on effect from the banning on refuelling. We will at least get to see teammates going toe to toe and no more of this nonsense of one teammate being hampered season long with extra fuel in qualifying. It was this unjust system that almost ended Heikki's F1 career, were it not for the new teams he'd have been consigned to tintops. :crazy:

For all McLaren's claims of impartiality and fairness Heikki seldom if ever qualified with less fuel than Lewis!

snowy said:
For all McLaren's claims of impartiality and fairness Heikki seldom if ever qualified with less fuel than Lewis!

Having said that, heavy fuel was optimal at Monza, and Heikki still stuffed it up. (So did Lewis, but not quite as meekly...)

snowy said:
Wasn't that to do with how they did in Q2? :dunno:

It would seem that the issue of Monaco and qualifying has finally been identifed as a possible problem.

Formula 1 drivers from both ends of the grid hope that the FIA will consider splitting the field into two groups for Q1 in Monaco to avert what could be a traffic nightmare.

With the entry up to 24 cars for the first time since the Q1/Q2/Q3 format was introduced, and larger speed differentials from front to back than have been the case for many years, there are fears that qualifying on Monte Carlo's narrow streets will turn into chaos.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=48332&PO=48332

So, what groups do you insist upon. I suggest that you run:

Q1 RED: Cars 1 3 5 7 9 11 14 16 18 20 22 24
Q1 YELLOW: Cars 2 4 6 8 10 12 15 17 19 21 23 25

And have the bottom 4 of each Q1 out, and run Q2 with 16 cars? Good idea?

I suggest they get out and try to qualify as they normally do, and stop whinging.

There's always been faster cars and slower cars, it's how it works. They coped in the past and should learn to cope now.

Back
Top Bottom