Qualifying - How would you run it?

My full idea would be:

Practice Sessions - 3 sets of Primes, 2 sets of Options.

Qualifying: 1 lap runs à la early 2005.

Qualifying 1 - 1 set of Qualifying tyres.

Qualifying 2 and the Race - 3 sets of Options, 2 sets of Primes.

Get rid of have to start on 'Fastest Lap' Tyres. This would open up strategy at the start.
Q1 + Q2 can be done with minimum fuel.

I think that's it...

Please feel free to argue/ask questions...

Good idea for a thread.

How about 1 quallifying session 60 minutes long?
All drivers can use all thier tyre allocation for qually and race,

the first 12 minutes of the hour no one can be knocked out, it is compulsory for every driver to set at least 2 hot laps during these 12 minutes or they get a penalty (unless there is a reasonable issue preventing them). Then for the remaining 48 minutes; every 2 minutes the driver with the slowest time is dropped and they have thier grid position.

Good idea for a thread.

How about 1 quallifying session 60 minutes long?
All drivers can use all thier tyre allocation for qually and race,

the first 12 minutes of the hour no one can be knocked out, it is compulsory for every driver to set at least 2 hot laps during these 12 minutes or they get a penalty (unless there is a reasonable issue preventing them). Then for the remaining 48 minutes; every 2 minutes the driver with the slowest time is dropped and they have thier grid position.
An unusual idea... but on paper, it looks great! Even greater potential for shocks!

Q3 Starts at 15:00
The third car from Q2B heads out first and sets a time. The second car then sets his single lap, followed by the Q2B winner. Thus we always finish with a legitimate pole position shootout! All three will use their Pirelli Qualification Tyres, because it cannot have been a problem getting out of Q1!?

As I'm reading it I'm understanding your suggesting a staggered lap, the problem with this is that it can be very prone to weather changes.

PPS I wouldn't mind KERS not being allowed in quali too but am not overly invested. I suggest it would be interesting to see which was the baseline quickest car before the toys were brought into play.

As I'm reading it I'm understanding your suggesting a staggered lap, the problem with this is that it can be very prone to weather changes.

What about the idea of whoever is 1st in Q2B chooses to go 1st, 2nd or 3rd, then 2nd from Q2B will choose, then 3rd in Q2B will have the remaining slot, so if they think it will rain, the fastest driver from Q2B can go first?

What about the idea of whoever is 1st in Q2B chooses to go 1st, 2nd or 3rd, then 2nd from Q2B will choose, then 3rd in Q2B will have the remaining slot, so if they think it will rain, the fastest driver from Q2B can go first?
I think it all seems to be a bit manufactured.

I quite like the current qualifying format, other than I'd remove KERS and DRS from the equation. It seems that the big thing at the moment is not burning tyres, I don't have a problem with Pirelli providing tyres just for quali to be used and abused as much as the teams want. Of course teams may still feel that they've done all they can and not go out as they don't want to risk pranging the car, but there you go.

Keep the current Qaulifying format, but with 1 set of qualifying tyres for Q3 runners only and no DRS in qualifying at all. Teams can choose whatever tyres they like to start the race, and keep the 2-compound rule.

I'd like DRS to be available unlimited in the race. It is noted that Pirelli have much more of an effect, and it makes passes seem less artificial id DRS is unlimited. DRS is a stifled innovation after all, it was used in '68/'69, before Chapman banned it by putting ridiculously large wings on...

Can I just point out that the 3 section format is very unlikely to change as it is very TV advertiser friendly. Something we will all get to "enjoy" if we subscribe to Sky next year.

I agree FB, but something needs to be done to encourage drivers to go for it but not have to worry about saving tyres from the race. We've seen it again today with only 6 drivers making serious attempts at poll. I guess it's testiment to how much more overtaking there is that guys are now happy to settle for 7 - 10th.

I agree FB, but something needs to be done to encourage drivers to go for it but not have to worry about saving tyres from the race. We've seen it again today with only 6 drivers making serious attempts at poll. I guess it's testiment to how much more overtaking there is that guys are now happy to settle for 7 - 10th.

After today were only 6 of the cars posted a time for the 'Top Ten Six Shootout', something has to be done, not just a logistic aspect but an embarrassing aspect, how can a sport have just over half the teams taking part in their sport?

The solution has to look at the reason why teams are saving tyres for the race! How can this be avoided to get them back on the track and change their mentality, by making them try to achieve something they as of today don't feel they can.....or if they do, will impact their long term race strategy.

Personally I'd give the Top Ten cars 2 sets of Top Spec Qualifying tyres ala the 1980's and just let them go out and blast it with the knowledge these tyres aren't taken from their allotment & can only be used in the Top Ten shootout.

They get this advantage by getting in the Top 10.....well that's my idea, no doubt some tactical guru will tell me its shortcomings, but hey we need to see 10 cars in a 'Top Ten Shootout'.....

Back
Top Bottom