Pirelli to supply F1 tyres from 2011

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Pirelli have been selected by FOTA and Bernie Ecclestone to be the sole tyre supplier from 2011.

The deal is initially for 3 seasons with each team paying 1 million Euros per season.

The rim size will remain at 13 inches with low profile 18 inch rims being introduced at a later date.
Only 3 compounds will be produced; soft, medium and hard.

Michelin, Avon, Kumho and Hankook were the other suppliers bidding for the contract.

Welcome news I think, it's long overdue a change really.

Now comes the battle over scheduling of new tyre tests at various points later in the year.

Even with the (limited) testing the teams will do, it will still mean the first few races will be an unknown quantity.

Should make for an interesting start to 2011 with regards to tyre performance and wear.

Seems like we need to wait a bit longer to find out for sure who wins the tyre contract after the teams failed to reach a decision this morning.

Yes, it's a bit odd this story.

It was initially stated that Pirelli had won the contract and the WMSC would be announcing it but then it went quiet.
Subsequently Michelin have lowered their price in an attempt to get their foot back under the table.

Jean Todt has been very quiet since taking over from Max "Spanky" Mosely but it would appear he is flexing his muscles over the next tyre supplier.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6196768/-Teams-won-t-decide-on-tyre-supplier-

FOTA are "closing in on a deal with Pirelli" but I love this quote from Todt "FOTA may suggest that it decides, but the strong man is not he who speaks the loudest."

Wonder which company this Frenchman may favour?

2320396.jpg

Since it is the teams that have to pay for the tyres, deal with the supplier, deal with the rubber, design the cars to deal with the rubber, you would think they could and should be able to decide amongst themselves which tyre to run. The FIA might want to decide what engines, suspension, oil, wheels, hydraulics, electrics the teams run too... perhaps Jean would like to dictate that McLaren run the Ford Cosworth engine. :bored:

It is also quite interesting that Jean suggests FOM also has more say in this matter. I suppose since they have to film the tyres it is crucially important that they get the most photogenic. Nothing worse than an ugly tyre on an F1 car... :twisted:

F1: Tire Decision May Take ‘Weeks’ Yet - Pirelli

According to the above article, although Pirelli expects to be given the contract to supply tires to Formula 1 starting in 2011, a final decision isn't expected for several more weeks. :o :o :o :o

FWIW, though, I don't see either FOM, FOTA or the FIA changing their decision to go with Pirelli(if that's what their decision is eventually.........), but in this day and age. who knows............. :o :o :o :o

FB said:
Jean Todt has been very quiet since taking over from Max "Spanky" Mosely but it would appear he is flexing his muscles over the next tyre supplier.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6196768/-Teams-won-t-decide-on-tyre-supplier-

FOTA are "closing in on a deal with Pirelli" but I love this quote from Todt "FOTA may suggest that it decides, but the strong man is not he who speaks the loudest."

Wonder which company this Frenchman may favour?

2320396.jpg

I'm not sure, remember that Ferrari were the only top team that did not go the Michelin way by 2005.

Bullfrog said:
I still think there should be more than one supplier, it would make things far more interesting.
That's something I've said all along.

I hate the fact that F1 has slowly morphed (is morphing) into a spec' series.

Ever more stringent regs that just seem to close off yet more avenues of development and ingenuity mean that designers are producing cars so similar that we need a super zoom lens and a degree in fluid dynamics to spot the differences.

I would have thought that tyres (round and rubber) could be one area where we might get some variety. After all the whole point of the 2 compounds rule is to get cars on different rubber with different performance, why stop there? The logical extension surely has to be that variety should encourage different racing.

I suppose there's a cost cutting argument to be made but it also smacks of teams (more the manufacturers and those in it to sell cars on Monday) not really wanting to upset the status quo, after all it might be them who gets left behind.

Somewhat delayed, but the rumours are that Ecclestone has signed the contract with Pirelli and it just remains for the FIA to sign off on the deal now.

Michelin have appeared to rule themselves out due to time constraints and also because they still want multiple suppliers.

I understand the reasons for not having multiple suppliers but the race in Canada yesterday showed just how exciting it can be when the drivers are on different rubber and strategies.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/20385.html

The problem with multiple suppliers is that if you happen to have a contract with a tyre supplier who is supplying naff tyres you are put out of contention till they get their act together. Which maybe never! :bored:

I much prefer the idea of a free choice of three tyres for every race. One that can go the distance, one that can get you half way - or just over - and one that will blow your opposition into the weeds for precisely 10 laps.

But it ain't going to happen anytime soon because on the evidence of refuelling and a number of other indicators, I am always about 16 years ahead of my time. :givemestrength:

I know I'm going to sound a little naive here but can someone explain why the teams don't work out individual agreements with the tyre supplier of their choice? "Back in the day" this used to happen and we ended up with one suppliers tyre working better on some circuits, and with some chassis, than others. The risk, I suppose, is that the tyre manufacturers concentrate their efforts on the top teams and the lower lights end up without any rubber.

However, if by allowing multiple suppliers in they agree that they can supply at least 50% of the field and compunds are fixed from the beginning of the season (as there is no testing it could be difficult to develop a new tyre anyway) what's the beef? From what I have read all teams will pay the same for the FIA/FOM tyre contract so there is no real incentive for a tyre company to favour one team over another (apart from supporting a winning team of course).

FB said:
I know I'm going to sound a little naive here but can someone explain why the teams don't work out individual agreements with the tyre supplier of their choice?
Well the problem seems to be every man and his dog has an input on the situation.

FOTA as a group want one thing.
Then there are individual teams who want another, as evidenced by Whitmarsh who said on Sunday that he would prefer Michelin.
Then you've got Bernie (as always) and the FIA.

I suspect also there is some sort of rule put in place by Bernie and/or the FIA to stop that happening.

As usual, all the deals are done behind closed doors so we have no idea what really goes on.

Is it me or has the Pirelli image improved over the last decade or so? This can only go on to increase their reputation.

What I do wonder about is that they are only going to bring 3 compounds. Have they learnt nothing from Canada?! The key to great races is 1. Rain or 2. A wide range of compounds.

So close yet so far.... :(

Back
Top Bottom