Peter Gethin dies

tooncheese

Hans Heyer
Contributor
The winner of the famous 1971 Italian grand Prix has died earlier today aged 71. Gethin competed 30 times in the early seventies, with McLaren, BRM and Hill, scoring 11 points. He also won two non-championship races - both at Brands Hatch.

RIP Peter.

And highlights of his greatest day.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
The reason I ever started following motorsport.
A great racer and an undersung hero. Fair innings at 71.
He was my favourite Prototype driver too, and my favourite card in my motor racing Top Trumps deck was of him.
R.I.P.

One of Britain's unheralded drivers, very successful in Formula 5000 racing too, and the Monza win was a masterpiece of tactical driving...well, he knew not to lead into Parabolica on the last lap!

R.I.P.

All that overtaking and not a DRS zone in sight. There was a great amount of trust between drivers in races, especially those like the one in the video. In a bunch like that you were literally placing your life in the hands of the other drivers, it must have taken a lot of guts (or a total lack of imagination to) to do it.

I'll admit to knowing his name, and that Italian Grand Prix, but not a great deal else. That said 71 is not a great age these days and my thoughts are with his family.

All that overtaking and not a DRS zone in sight. There was a great amount of trust between drivers in races, especially those like the one in the video. In a bunch like that you were literally placing your life in the hands of the other drivers, it must have taken a lot of guts (or a total lack of imagination to) to do it.

Very true about DRS, but a lack of pointless chicanes and diddly-squat downforce helped. Very little dirty air off the car in front as well. The main straight is mega wide, but as you say, the trust must be immense. Flip one of those at 200mph and you're dead. Cojones of steel required.:o

RIP Peter Gethin. As has been said above, 71 is too young.

RIP Peter.
I watched you win the 1973 Race of Champions at Brands Hatch in a F5000 Chevron B24 beating the established F1 cars and drivers.
Fantastic drive.

I'll admit to knowing his name, and that Italian Grand Prix, but not a great deal else. That said 71 is not a great age these days and my thoughts are with his family.

Pretty much the same. We maybe should have guessed that 71 was his number... :(

Back
Top Bottom