Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...
Team sport FB - few drivers will argue with management these days?!

Drivers aren't important anymore?

And relax...

I think it is tough in these situations for drivers to have a clear picture of what's going on. With Schumacher out, most probably expected progression to Q2 to be relatively straightforward...but I'm sure a more experienced driver would probably have queried it.

On another note, when I heard that interview my first instinct was, "well, you've made a few mistakes this season as well Paul." Some of these young drivers are quick to blame their teams for errors and not always willing to take blame for driving mistakes.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

He's a rookie... I remember many folk blaming McLaren for that Monaco disaster not Hamilton, same for the incident with Button this weekend, and the same for Malaysia 2010 where Ferrari and McLaren got the blame not the drivers.

Anyway he's got talent, but I have not warmed to him even though he's a fellow scot. BBC are nearly hyping him like te way they do with Button.

He tends moan a fair few times aswell...

Love this guy, he was brilliant in DTM and knew he'd do fab when he came to F1.

Would love to see him continue in F1 for many more years and hope to see him in a top team fighting for wins and championships. :).

Yeah he does moan, but so do alot of other drivers on the grid, it's nout new. I think he does it so the team makes a better car for him and Sutil to drive.

Yeah he does moan, but so do alot of other drivers on the grid, it's nout new. I think he does it so the team makes a better car for him and Sutil to drive.

Yes I have noticed that a lot, it's maybe the reason why I am not warming to him, or it could be that the BBC big up his performances every time :thinking:

As a fellow Scotsman I feel that I should support him, but then again I don't think to this date I have supported anyone from Britain in F1 either LOL

the hype around Di Resta is based on he beat VETTEL when they were teammates in Euro F3 in 2006 and since then has been snapped up by Mercedes and won the DTM. Therefore he is the next young gun that Mercedes have groomed

His Force India situation will not be resolved until Mercedes decide who drives for them as he is actually contracted to them and Norbert rates him. Should Schumacher or Rosberg be ditched Di Resta would be the one to replace either driver... there is still an outside bet to drive for Mclaren as well who have also tested Di Resta as he was a Young Driver award winner and is managed by Lewis' dad. So if Paul keeps improving and there is a stall with Jenson's contact ( surely not after today) then this is a possibiliyu

Have to say I've blown hot and cold with Mr Di Resta ever since the PR machine kicked in last season to try and get him in F1. The amount of backing and the hype they were trying to make around him to get him in F1 annoyed me as it does with all drivers. There have been so many talented drivers who just haven't had this backing who haven't got into F1 or not got the chance in F1. I still think Justin Wilson could have been an World Champion.

Anyways despite his Coulthard like moaning skills - he had the cheek to moan about not getting enough time in the car because FI put Hulkenberg in for P1 when he was doing the same to Liuzzi the year before - I think he's finally starting to come through and has shown signs of growing into a great driver with yesterdays drive.

As for the Merc thing - I still think they'd take Hulkenberg over him due to the German status but we'll see.

Have to say I've blown hot and cold with Mr Di Resta ever since the PR machine kicked in last season to try and get him in F1. The amount of backing and the hype they were trying to make around him to get him in F1 annoyed me as it does with all drivers. There have been so many talented drivers who just haven't had this backing who haven't got into F1 or not got the chance in F1. I still think Justin Wilson could have been an World Champion.

Anyways despite his Coulthard like moaning skills - he had the cheek to moan about not getting enough time in the car because FI put Hulkenberg in for P1 when he was doing the same to Liuzzi the year before - I think he's finally starting to come through and has shown signs of growing into a great driver with yesterdays drive.

As for the Merc thing - I still think they'd take Hulkenberg over him due to the German status but we'll see.

Well being a year out of F1 means Hulkenberg is essentially a rookie again so I don't think Mercedes would take such risks as there are pressures for them to deliver.

Mercedes know Di Resta's abilities well enough now to give him a shot in their team.. they aint going to risk Hulkenberg unless they drop both Schumacher and Rosberg

Well as I suspect Merc's line up will be unchanged next year and that Force India will be Di Resta and Hulkenberg I'd say it depended on how good a season Hulkenberg had

I'll will remind you of another 2 drivers who spent a year out of F1 after their rookie season and then were put straight into race seats for teams in a similar position to Merc at the moment. Their names were Mika Hakkenien and Fernando Alonso - they did alright.

I'll will remind you of another 2 drivers who spent a year out of F1 after their rookie season and then were put straight into race seats for teams in a similar position to Merc at the moment. Their names were Mika Hakkenien and Fernando Alonso - they did alright.

But in those days there was loads of testing. Now once the season starts there is none which makes it very difficult for the so-called test drivers.

Yeah I see your point. Although you have to say the tactic of letting the test driver do the P1 sessions seems to have paid off where Bruno Senna is concerned - maybe it will have kept Nico sharp too

Well he did beat his then team-mate Vettel in the same equipment in a lower series. I like him, has a "have a go" attitude that has ended in tears a few times this season. He's keeping Sutil honest too.

I think Di Resta is a very good driver, but if/when Hulkenberg gets Sutil's seat next season I believe he will quite convincingly outperform Di Resta which will obviously be detrimental to Di Resta future (Mercedes) prospects.

I think Di Resta is a very good driver, but if/when Hulkenberg gets Sutil's seat next season I believe he will quite convincingly outperform Di Resta which will obviously be detrimental to Di Resta future (Mercedes) prospects.

I believe he won't. Di Resta is the real deal, given a decent car he would be winning races. From what little we have seen of Hulkenberg I think he is good but over rated.

I disagree with both - I've not really seen anything to show that Di Resta is the 'real deal' yet. I've seen some good performances in the Force India which show me he's a driver of skill but I've also seen Adrian Sutil pull off some equally good performances this season and he's considered the benchmark for midfield. Last season I also saw Liuzzi in the Force India drive a couple of good races in the same car and he's considered one of the worst on the grid. There is a very good media machine around Mr Di Resta which the other 2 don't seem to have - I wonder if he gets this much attention and is rated so highly in other countries too.

as for Hulkenberg ebing over rated or convincingly out performing people - I think 1 year in a dodgy Williams is hard to make a judgement on anyone

Back
Top Bottom