Poll Out of Ten - 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

2014 Spanish Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
Maybe one more word.

Rosberg was on the theoretically quicker tire. He's shown he can get past Hamilton, and I'm sure he was eager to make it stick this time. Not to mention that he can hardly get through a press conference without saying how much it irks him to see Lewis on the top step. You better believe that Nico was out for blood in Spain. Hamilton was racing incredibly hard to stay out of DRS range. That battle was very tense and I would imagine millions of other Hamilton supporters were ticking down the laps as anxiously as I was. Martin Brundle certainly thought, and stated, several times that he thought Rosberg was in prime position to pounce. In the end it was Lewis that rang every tenth out of the car to barely stay ahead.

Keke

Inasmuch as I have, in all probability been following F1 decades longer than you, your claim that I am longing to pronounce the death-knell of the sport is not only ignorant but arrogant as well.

I am a bit curious how you can state, as a matter of fact, that the Renault is as powerful as the Mercedes, when I have not seen that assertion anywhere.

You wouldn't know, Meph.

@Siffert - Your age and experience are the reasons I would expect you to realize that this is not the first time that a constructor has delivered a World Beater. Your response to the Mercedes domination so far has been nothing short of petulant and is an affront to the hard work that has gone into the car, and the people following the sport.

As for the Renault lump. It's certainly not the best, but it's ability to put the Toro Rosso at the top of the Speed Trap at 337.7 is a testament to it's top end power. I'm sure setup played a part, but the Renault disparity is a bit overblown. And once again, you should know that power units have historically played a very large part in F1 history. I find it somewhat refreshing that we can once again point to some genuinely remarkable engineering as a main factor in a cars dominance.

KekeTheKing Chad Stewarthill - Hamilton has won every race he's finished, and overhauled the huge disadvantage that gives when a competitor can't get less than 18 points.

I'm not saying that Hamilton has won the Drivers' Championship, hell I'm not saying anyone has won anything, but he absolutely has established himself as the top dog for 2014.

Mephistopheles - The FIA do try to create an equitable formula, however no-one can set a book to stop a constructor doing an awesome job.

You have to admit Rosberg is a more interesting challenger than Barrichello, Patrese or Webber.

Well at least you agree with my point about the FIA teabagyokel which is nice..

Oh and my argument isn't that Merc is doing so well nobody can blame them for that it is more that the other teams are doing so shit considering the lead time they have had.

Last edited:
You have to admit Rosberg is a more interesting challenger than Barrichello, Patrese or Webber.

Quite. There is absolutely no doubt that Nico will attempt to stem this tide. It may come as soon as Monaco.

And I'm not accusing you here TBY, but I just hate to see people declaring the Drivers Championship done and dusted at such an early stage in the campaign.

We all knew were focussing on 2014 from an early stage. They've got one of, if not the best driver plus one of, if not the most intelligent driver. They have a winning formula. Mercedes let them race. Yes Hamilton may win it but there's a long way to go. Hamilton didn't coast to that win. He sounded rather stressed and 0.6 is far from comfortable. I'm a Hamilton fan that wants Rosberg to win Monaco.

Honestly, is this really new?

Mephistopheles, stop watching. You clearly don't enjoy F1.

That's the problem I love F1 and yet hate what it has become but I am grasping onto that tiny vestige of hope that one day it may improve and anyway Hamberg what would you do without me, just go round massaging each others egos and spouting how exciting and lovely everything is...;)

Last edited:
Oh and my argument isn't that Merc is doing so well nobody can blame them for that it is more that the other teams are doing so shit considering the lead time they have had.

I agree entirely. No-one had the McLaren/Ferarri 2008 excuse of concentrating on developing the old cars because they have a championship to fight. Only really Lotus have any mitigation.

I can't get too upset at Mercedes' dominance when we see Rosberg and Hamilton going toe-to-toe. Of course it is worse than genuine multi-team scraps. But it is better than 2002 and 2004 and 2013 and 1992...

Keke,

The problem I have is that the only time I remember a team being so dominant was the 1969 Can Am series, where the McLaren team with the M8B won every race. In the preceding years, the Can Am's popularity was skyrocketing. After 1969, it spiraled downhill to the extent that, in 4 years, it was gone. I certainly don't want to see that happen to F1!

As with the other thread, the personal attacks stop now.

Further posts will be deleted and offenders will be warned and possibly have restrictions placed on their account.

This place has gone so far downhill thanks to the actions of a handful of individuals.

It's nothing to worry about, a couple of races ago we were all thinking what an amazing spectacle, Barcelona has never been an exciting track, Monaco usually throws up a few surprises and Canada is usually eventful. Can't write the whole season off because one team is dominating. At least we are getting battles for the front even if it's just between two drivers!

And your opinions carry any weight, why, exactly?

Why does anyone's? Because of what they have contributed to the site and the knowledge they continue to bring to the table. It's up to the individual how much stock they put into another's opinion, and I feel confident that anyone who knows my history on the site and who has engaged me in serious discussion will not completely disregard my sentiments.

Personal attack after being told to stop on two different threads
Keke,

The problem I have is that the only time I remember a team being so dominant was the 1969 Can Am series, where the McLaren team with the M8B won every race. In the preceding years, the Can Am's popularity was skyrocketing. After 1969, it spiraled downhill to the extent that, in 4 years, it was gone. I certainly don't want to see that happen to F1!

You have that little faith in Formula One? CanAm 69 is a nice anecdote, but it has basically no relevance to the current state of play. F1 has survived prolonged dominance in the past, and it will undoubtedly persist into the future. In fact, it could be said that F1 has thrived during dominant seasons like 1988 where teammates were allowed to battle every race.

This place has gone so far downhill thanks to the actions of a handful of individuals.

Too right. I hardly visit during off weeks because I can hardly bear to see the latest doom and gloom musings from our resident pessimists. An F1 Forum can be a miserable place when the dominant posters want to constantly decry every single aspect of the sport. I have no doubt that countless other people have been turned off by the constant drumbeat of negativity.

Back
Top Bottom