One step forward, two steps back

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
There was a meeting in Malaysia today amongst the FOTA members and once again how to improve the "spectacle" was on the agenda.

Two items that were discussed were bringing back KERS in 2011 and, wait for it, refuelling.

KERS could either be freed up completely giving teams free reign to develop it to the full or it could be a standard supplier. With spec' engines though what would be the point of that? I hope they don't go down that route as it won't serve any purpose if everyone has an energy reserve of exactly the same amount.

As for thinking of bringing back refuelling, it's only been 2 races, give it chance
facepalm.gif

I can't understand the fuss either, the figures show that overtaking is at its highest level since the 1980's.

It's not all bad news though as the FIA are considering increasing the rear tyre rim diameter from 13 inches to 18 inches.

Brogan said:
There was a meeting in Malaysia today amongst the FOTA members and once again how to improve the "spectacle" was on the agenda.

Two items that were discussed were bringing back KERS in 2011 and, wait for it, refuelling.

It's not all bad news though as the FIA are considering increasing the rear tyre rim diameter from 13 inches to 18 inches.

The refuelling (or the lack of it) will maybe share the fate of the 2005. tyre rule. One season-new champion-scrap. :D

It is very interesting that they refuse point blank to discuss any of the options that would actually improve the racing. Mechanical grip, width and hardness of tyres, the two type rule or aero. :crazy:

They are intent only on gimmicks and f*rt @rsing about!

Brogan said:

I'm guessing with the current rear wing and 18" rims the cars are going to look absolutely hidious,

I have to agree with Snowy about the probable aesthetic results from 18" wheels. Not likely to be good-looking.

To me Kers is a boondoggle-it can be used to block as well as pass, so the effect is negligible.

If refueling is allowed, lets make it more of a real strategy. Do this by:

1. Eliminate the two types of tyre rule. Make a set of tyres good enough to last race distance, albeit with undoubtedly some drop-off in performance.

2. Impose Le Mans type restrictions on the number of crewmen that can work on the car during pitstops-limit airguns to 2, and no tyre changing allowed while refueling is in process. This would impose a healthy time penalty for stopping and liven things up.

If KERS is to come back then some sort of penalty for using it needs to be considered, or they will all use it at the start of a long straight, and there'll be no net gain for one car over another. Indycar have one possible solution, by limiting the system to 20 uses per race. An alternative might be to increase the minimum weight requirement for those with KERS. Alternatively, perhaps they could reduce the battery size/capacity so that you can store maybe 4 seconds of boost, but the recharge can be done in 1 or 2 corners, and so you can use it as often as you like. In short, if it's going to come back, then further research needs to be carried out to achieve what they say they want to achieve.

Refuelling - No. It was removed to improve the show, and it will, if the cornering grip balance is moved towards mechanical and away from aero, to allow overtaking in the dry. Without this, it doesn't matter what the refuelling situation is, they still will not be able to follow/overtake on track.

Wider rear tyres - Yes please, but increase the overall width of the car accordingly. Don't try and fit them into the already narrow restrictions. Increasing the chassis width would be nice too, and potentially reduce the length, which would also be better looking, IMO.

This is what a 19" rear wheel F1 car used to look like...

I thought they were talking about 18" diameter, not 18" width, on the grounds you'd have less air in the tyres and it would be easier to get them up to temperature without tyre warmers :embarrassed:

If they increase wheel diameter to 18" without increasing tyre diameter, they will have to go with short and exceedingly stiff sidewalls. This would require a major change in suspensions since harshness and vibration would increase hugely. I don't see how that is justifiable from a cost standpoint. :dunno:

fat_jez said:
I thought they were talking about 18" diameter, not 18" width, on the grounds you'd have less air in the tyres and it would be easier to get them up to temperature without tyre warmers :embarrassed:

Another chance missed then, in my opinion.

There seems to be an agreement here that 'bigger' tyres would be a good idea for F1.

My problem with that as someone mentioned above there is a reluctance to disscuss changing the balance between aero and Mechanical grip. Bigger tyres is not getting at the root of the problem, which is what the FIA need to thinking about rather then what seems has 'sticky plaster' solution to the problem.

If the Aero problem continues to be not addressed, then bigger tyres will have as much effect as trying to stop a forest fire by blowing at it.

As for KERS, good idea. Although why not just have a push to pass button that allows extra revs, and then limit it to being used a certain amount of times per race.

Its a heck of a lot cheaper, easier to implement, and according to some quarters greener (KERS the way uses it actually has pretty much no effect).

Back
Top Bottom