On this day/old race discussions

Back in 2007 on this day, 1 down 102 to go.
765CAF33-7BCD-4555-8A38-12B692220742.jpeg

that was a great win pole by 4 tenths, had to navigate the strategy of 4 safety cars, keep his cool & bring home the 1st win which is always most pressurised, it is underplayed how good Hamilton was in 2007 i doubt there has or ever will be a driver who has had a better debut season than Hamilton. 4 wins including the extremely tricky fuji 2007, stood on the podium 9 times in his 1st 10 races only failed in the infamous nurburgring 2007 & he came in straight away like he been there for years. to come in & had the beating of the best driver in the world at that moment who would be 1 point away from winning 3 consecutive titles was incredible, i cant imagine for all his talent russell coming from F2 & doing that in 2018

& it was also Super Aguri final time scoring points

I watched that race, it was pathetic, a Ferrari that handled like a drunken trolley bus on a Mickey Mouse circuit, bolted down the straight in a turbocharged car that was more like a dragster in performance than a F1 car plonk it in the middle of the corner at a ridiculously slow speed then fire it down the straight, not really any skill more a Fernando performance in blocking before Fernando arrived on the scene

I agree, the car handled like a boat but had a monstrously powerful engine. The skill Villeneuve showed was being able to driver just fast enough to keep everyone behind, and then use the only positive the car had to best effect. Don't forget he also won at Monaco that year, "the circuit where a turbo can will never win".

I suspect anyone other than Laffite behind might have had a go at some point.

Whilst not all about today, back in 1990, the BBC put together a beautiful documentary to celebrate 500 Grand Prix after the 1990 Adelaide GP... I remember watching and re-watching this documentary back in the 1990s:

I watched that race, it was pathetic, a Ferrari that handled like a drunken trolley bus on a Mickey Mouse circuit, bolted down the straight in a turbocharged car that was more like a dragster in performance than a F1 car plonk it in the middle of the corner at a ridiculously slow speed then fire it down the straight, not really any skill more a Fernando performance in blocking before Fernando arrived on the scene

I think you are missing the point the car was so terrible it had no right to win plus GV made a rocket start from 8th position to get himself up to 3rd before Jones went off and he won. Even Murray Walker called it his greatest race of the 80's ahead of Mansell's Silverstone 87 charge

Yes it was a terrible car but the V6 turbo was a rocket if he did not mess the corner up

I agree, the car handled like a boat but had a monstrously powerful engine. The skill Villeneuve showed was being able to driver just fast enough to keep everyone behind, and then use the only positive the car had to best effect. Don't forget he also won at Monaco that year, "the circuit where a turbo can will never win".

I suspect anyone other than Laffite behind might have had a go at some point.
Murray said it handled like a barn door it was terrible. Remember GV absolutely annihiliated Pironi in the same car that year when you consider on paper that looked like a strong driver pairing

I think you are missing the point the car was so terrible it had no right to win plus GV made a rocket start from 8th position to get himself up to 3rd before Jones went off and he won. Even Murray Walker called it his greatest race of the 80's ahead of Mansell's Silverstone 87 charge

Yes it was a terrible car but the V6 turbo was a rocket if he did not mess the corner up
The point was GV went into the corners so slowly he couldn't mess them up, and such was the power he was far enough ahead to take the next corner at leisure, I don't care what Murray Walker said, it was pathetic, if you think today's races are boring, that one takes the biscuit, it not the same watching a video 40 years later, watching live it was a travesty.

Final race at Magny cours, today in 2008, from a driving point of view i loved it it was a fast flowing circuit that like Montreal required commitment. but it was in middle of nowhere that didnt help

Plus, it was always associated with dreary races! :D
for me i dont remember much about magny cours probally too young but i remember the chaos of 1999 & arrows farce where they for all intents bust, so trundled around for 1 qualifying lap so they didnt get into trouble with bernie

but i know my dad never spoke well of it, always said it was good time for afternoon nap LOL

The point was GV went into the corners so slowly he couldn't mess them up, and such was the power he was far enough ahead to take the next corner at leisure, I don't care what Murray Walker said, it was pathetic, if you think today's races are boring, that one takes the biscuit, it not the same watching a video 40 years later, watching live it was a travesty.
There is no rule saying you must enter the corner at the top speed that was more of a case of great defensive driving and controlling the pace like he did required immense concentration for 3 quarters of the race. He can control the pace as much as he likes its up the people behind to find a way past him

The fact it was GV made it more memorable given his reputation as an all out racer

Today's races are boring because we were racing at duff tracks where the DRs is rubbish and the aerodynamics ain't helping .

Back
Top Bottom