On this day/old race discussions

F1 have announced they will be racing in Las Vegas from next season

I don't suppose all the pimps disguising as fans will be out in force. I could imagine this race back in James Hunt's era what some of the drivers might get up to away from the car.

Though I doubt the words " Gamble responsibly" will be sported on any of the team's liveries then

So I guess this replaces Russia then ?

Its not going to race at night due to the timezone difference which would make it quite spectacular you'd think

Red Bull 1st victory in 2009

temp 1.jpg

temp 2.jpg

Notice that in the picture the Lotus team manager, Peter Warr is wearing Colin Chapman's old flat cap which Chapman famously threw in the air on each occasion one of his driver's won a race.

I can understand why Senna wanted to move to Lotus from Toleman, but many forget that he shat all over the Toleman team to take that drive and was stood down from the team at the Italian GP. Hardly the deity many now want to pretend he is.

It should also be noted that had Elio de Angelis not been disqualified in Australia there was a very good chance he would have beaten Senna in the drivers championship. In the end he was only 5 points behind.

Didn't Max Mosely claim that Lotus had a car "without radiators" that season, simply so Senna could get pole? Lotus certainly had a very powerful qualie only engine which was thrown away after the end of the session. It's no wonder Senna took pole seven times in a car which wasn't that competitive unless the track was wet.

I can understand why Senna wanted to move to Lotus from Toleman, but many forget that he shat all over the Toleman team to take that drive and was stood down from the team at the Italian GP. Hardly the deity many now want to pretend he is.

It should also be noted that had Elio de Angelis not been disqualified in Australia there was a very good chance he would have beaten Senna in the drivers championship. In the end he was only 5 points behind.

Didn't Max Mosely claim that Lotus had a car "without radiators" that season, simply so Senna could get pole? Lotus certainly had a very powerful qualie only engine which was thrown away after the end of the session. It's no wonder Senna took pole seven times in a car which wasn't that competitive unless the track was wet.
Yep Senna had a 3 Yr contract with Toleman but that did not stop him speaking to Lotus

Senna's attitude to Lotus was only slightly more dignified when he left to join McLaren at the end of 87. McLaren were able to pay him much more than he was on at Hethel but he did go back to Peter Warr and state that if Lotus could match McLaren's offer he would stay.

Of course Senna would know full bloody well Lotus couldn't do anything like that.

i loved reading up on that for my race thread starter. as knew bits but didnt realise how tragic it was & they never reconciled. maybe the most tragic rivalry in F1

On this day in 1982, Didier Pironi knifed Gilles Villeneuve in the back during the closing laps of the San Marino Grand Prix. I think we all know the consequences :(
I was expecting Sainz to do this on Sunday but he never got the chance. Villeneuve naively thought it was a demo race but Pironi had other ideas. This was on the back of two dreadful years after 1979 but Villeneuve really outshone Pironi in 1981 in a car that handled like a barn door according to Murray Walker but he still won two races. Pironi was no slouch but for the very first time he had been seriously humiliated by his team .

A season which Ferrari could have achieved more turned into tragedy

1982 was an absolute shit show of a year for F1 but Bernie was in his element.
It was the only non turbo win in a turbo era. If the championship went the correct way then I think it would have been Renault vs Ferrari all the way with Villeneuve probably just shading the title

I think people forgot that Imola was the race after the water bottle row the customer Ford teams vs the manufacturers with turbos. The customer teams were actually running car underweight in the race to cool the brakes and it was only after the dqs of Brazil all hell broke loose. Only 14 cars competed in the race all the customer teams said their cars needed redesigning. Tyrell broke ranks because of Italian sponsors to compete but this apparently was also a factor in kicking them out in 1985 for illegal fuel to pass through all turbo championships in 1986

Senna's attitude to Lotus was only slightly more dignified when he left to join McLaren at the end of 87. McLaren were able to pay him much more than he was on at Hethel but he did go back to Peter Warr and state that if Lotus could match McLaren's offer he would stay.

Of course Senna would know full bloody well Lotus couldn't do anything like that.
Strange when you consider they were backed by Camel who thought offering $3m to Piquet was a better deal

Back
Top Bottom