Old Blood - New Blood

Not sure Renault was quite a top team in 2003, but I don't think back in the 1950s there were too many people winning in basement dweller cars. Alfa won every race in 1950, Ferrari won every race in 1952!

There is too much rose-tinted "in the past, anyone could win in any car" stuff going on. Its just not true except for the 1982 season.

1 FAGIOLI 53 1951 Fr
2 FARINA 46 1953 De
3 FANGIO 46 1957 De
4 TARUFFI 45 1952 Su

Taruffi was in the Ferrari that won every race in 1952, Farina was in the same car. Fagioli was in a pretty dominant Alfa at any rate. Fangio was in a top team too!

And which of the other U23s was not in a top team? Schumacher (1992). Ickx was at Ferrari, Bruce McLaren at Cooper in a WCC year and Fittipaldi was in the Lotus that won the WDC that year, vacated by Jochen Rindt!

Nothing changes in this respect! It has always been partly the car; why else did Fangio hop teams like his backside was on a stove?

TBY said:
and the fact Ferrari can't see further than the past is more of a testimony to a team who's tactical decisions on (and off) track continue to baffle than on F1 itself

I'd agree with you absolutely there TBY. To quote Oscar Wilde "Never look back unless you are planning to go that way."

FB said:
TBY said:
and the fact Ferrari can't see further than the past is more of a testimony to a team who's tactical decisions on (and off) track continue to baffle than on F1 itself

I'd agree with you absolutely there TBY. To quote Oscar Wilde "Never look back unless you are planning to go that way."

Do you think Ferrari are going back the spaghetti days?

To me they seem rudderless without Jean and Ross, no idea who to put in the car, seemingly no idea how to motivate their "star" and a crocked certainty.

we seem to forget both the big etams of last year were in the doldrums in the beginning of the season. the concensus for this being both teams had spent lots of effort on the WDC and cos of that lost sight of the new season.

both mclaren and ferrari have made huge advances since then. so any idea that ferrari for instance is going back to the days when they won less, seems a bit too quick to me. if the team seems rudderless, its cos they are trying to find ways forward and look for alternatives. macca does the same.

but back to the original discussion, like TBY states very aptly, the idea in years before anyone could win in any car does not hold, is true. and pretty obvious actually.

its pretty basic really, F1 is a technical sport and there one would expect the best technology to win.

Back
Top Bottom