Nico Rosberg podium in sight

Hamberg

Those who know, they know
Contributor
As Vettel sets yet another ridiculously off the scale lap 7 tenths quicker than the next best, a certain team and driver aren't receiving an awful lot of notice (what's new).

Nico Rosberg in his Mercedes was just 2 tenths off McLaren and half a second up on Ferrari.

"When you start fourth, a podium is never out of the question. It's a bit optimistic, but why not?"

When his car is working Rosberg is pretty handy off the starts and given who he has ahead he has every chance of either keeping or improving on his position into turn one. The Mercedes has excellent straight line speed, Mercedes KERS system and arguably the best DRS. This together with a quick, hungry driver that will always have a go and can defend beautifully (although the hideousness that is DRS destroys that).

Why not? What do you think Mercedes with Rosberg can do tomorrow?

Rosberg and Mercedes have been looking far more competitive this weekend but just 2 tenths shy of McLaren is beyond even their wildest dreams.

Nico Rosberg has been putting in excellent performances for the last three years without registering a blip on the radar. For 2010 and 2011, Schumacher's failed return has dominated the Mercedes headlines.

His start in Malaysia was poor, and he didn't recover from it, but if he can get in front of a McLaren there is no reason he shouldn't have a chance at the podium.

Of course, his start in Malaysia in 2009 was Hakkinenesque!

There is always a chance for the Germano-Finnish lad to do well given a decent car, but we all need to hold judgement because since his rookie season he's never been furnished with a representative team-mate!

A podium would be great, Mercedes need to turn their season around and fast otherwise Renault and Sauber will finish ahead of them in the constrictors title, Rosberg is their best hope on the vast majority of tracks (I've came to terms with that) and Schumacher can help develop the car and take points off their competitors, I'd love to see Rosberg gain a podium.

It depends on how well the McLarens keep their tyres. I reckon the podium will be the same as the qualy 'podium'

It's a fairly long run down to turn one, which thankfully isn't as tight as some on the calendar, so any one of the first 4 on the grid could be in the lead after the first lap.

Vettel will have quite a job defending against two McLarens and the Renault's are too far down this time to be in the mix.
Hopefully everyone will safely get through the first lap and then we'll see whether anyone can keep within touching distance of the Red Bull.

Without doubt Nico has a chance of a podium tomorrow, but barring mistakes or issues from the first three, I can't see it really.

This is making me think of the top 4 in some order being bunched up (within a second) going onto the long straight. Is DRS allowed on the first lap? If so, whoever's in the lead better be over 1 sec ahead or they're getting shafted into turn 14.

Rosberg has in the past qualified solidly and then quietly made up one or two places, staying near the top every race. I hope he doesn't turn into another Heidfeld. ie. Vastly talented but criminally overlooked thanks to being overshadowed by the carnage behind and the race winners in front. I hope he does get another podium, he's earned it. If Schumacher did the same thing we'd never hear the end of it.

This is making me think of the top 4 in some order being bunched up (within a second) going onto the long straight. Is DRS allowed on the first lap? If so, whoever's in the lead better be over 1 sec ahead or they're getting shafted into turn 14.

No, DRS is not allowed on the first lap. In fact, I think it's use is not permitted for the 1st two laps...

If a McLaren can get past Vettel into the first corner, then a podium for Rosberg is a possibility as it is likely Vettel will either crash or drop down the field..

Back
Top Bottom