Nico Punished

Its kind of funny how LH admitted that he attacked NR at Monza when the team told him not to, yet no one is talking about it.

First thing. Paddy Lowe said after the race that this came solely from Lewis' side of the garage. It was a suggestion from his race engineer. This was not a team instruction by any means.

And actually I've heard quite a few people comment on it, and he's been roundly applauded for it. It's entirely up to the driver when he wants to use his tires. Hamilton said that based on his Pirelli experience, waiting til the end of the GP is rarely the best option.

According to Toto the team thought about for a few seconds and got back to both Lewis and Nico to tell them they could use whatever settings they wanted to attack and defend during that phase of the race:
Wolff said that the real scenario was that after the message about saving tyres, there was further dialogue where it was agreed he should try to push immediately.

"After the pit stop, the message was 'I think we should save the tyres on both cars and take it to the end and let them fight at the end'.

"But we changed the opinion because there was clearly a possibility for the driver who was following to overtake at the beginning of the stint and the end of the stint.

"So we came back with the message to the drivers that they were free to use whatever modes were available. It was according to plan.

You're implying that Mercedes are once again manipulating their drivers like marionettes in an elaborate ruse in order to achieve some grand master plan?

"So we came back with the message to the drivers that they were free to use whatever modes were available. It was according to plan."

Merely commenting on a change of plan - so it wasn't really a plan in the first place, was it?

It would actually be quite nice if Merc did have a 'grand master plan' any time soon!

I have no problem with either or both drivers racing. I am a little more concerned that the 'management' changes its mind every few laps.

Should Merc win the WDC and that is a very strong possibility, it will have absolutely nothing to do with the management.

A dominant car and two outstanding drivers will have done it.

Aside from the Hungary order, which they admit was a 'heat of the moment' mistake, Mercedes management has had literally no impact on this Championship, which is just how everyone likes it.

Reliability is the decisive factor at the moment. If it does not rear it's head again, then I believe it can be overcome.

You are correct, but my guess it that it affected Nico in a negative way and it affected Lewis in a positive way, but that is just my guess and I admit I could be wrong.

My other guess is that Toto will not be in that role for the team next year, but that remains to be seen..

He did follow the advice Lewywo4 . His team changed the original advice just a few minutes later after a short re-appraisal of the data, and said it was actually OK to attack there and then.,
The difference being that that second advice wasn't broadcast on the telly.
This was a good example of why they're now talking about making changes to pit-radio transmissions. For one thing selective editing of messages give an inaccurate picture of what is actually being said.

The first bit of 'advice' came from Hamilton's engineer Pete Bonnington, this should not be construed as 'team' initiated. What was said next was of little consequence anyway as it was clear that Lewis was charging.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that unless we are on the pit wall (I wish!) the chances of knowing what was said to who and when is like me trying to get my dog in a bath...damn near impossible.
With the strategic editing, mesages & personnel shots can be show to us viewers at inapropriate times to stir up things. Who knows when thing are actually said & done, we only get what's drip fed to us.
For example I've heard Toto's smile didn't happen as Nico missed the corner but 'artistic license' chose to show it then, and how many times have we heard 'push this lap' to find the car tootling down the pit lane...
Honestly the coverage of team interaction during the races seems to be akin to a plan which is more cunning than the most cunning plan of Baldrick.
From now on I'll be taking all transmissions with a lump of salt rather than a pinch!

Brundle on Sky Sports F1 does go to some lengths to explain that the Pit to Driver Radio can sometimes can be half a lap after it actually happened. So it cometime can look strange, but yes Toto's smile, even he said he'll have to watch the media when questioned about it, so think the teams know of the 'Artistic impression' the TV companies use........

Back
Top Bottom