Current Nico Hülkenberg

Never have I known so many people rate a test driver as a future world champion so I thought I'd start a thread for people to pass there opinions on young Nico.

Has an incredible record in other Formula's - won A1 Go in 06, won F3 euro masters in 08, won GP2 in 09 and then came into F1. There was a lot of hype around Mr Hulkenberg in arriving in F1 as he was seen as the next 'Lewis Hamilton' but in all honest in the car he was driving he was never going to be able to match what Lewis did as a rookie the question remains though did he do enough? He scored 25 points to his experienced team-mate Rubens Barrichello's 47 which doesn't look good - however is it unfair to judge a rookie against the most experienced F1 driver in history? Especially a driver who was having a resurgent after being a world championship contender the season before.

To be fair to Hulkenberg he got better as the season went on and it was clear he was getting to grips with F1 - the icing on the cake of course was the brilliant pole he scored in the wet in Brazil. Although tactical he was advised as when to go and on what tyres he still had to produce the time and being on pole by over a second is pretty impressive. I think if Williams could have afforded to keep him on they would have done but needs must when the bank manager drives and poor old Nico was shown the door.

Currently testing with Force India and you have to think that right now he's breathing down Sutil's neck for the race seat. I really hope they take a gamble on him earlier than later as want to see how he fares against Di Resta - I actually think that might be the making of both of them. Currently Di Resta is being praised and lined up for the Merc drive at the moment but you have to say if Hulkenberg comes in and beats him surely Merc would take the Nico option?

Is he as good as he's hyped or does having Will Weber as you manager help you become hyped up? Interestingly back in 2009, when he was being considered for replacing Luca Badoer at Ferrari, Weber stated that Hulkenberg would not take the seat now but he would sign for Ferrari in 3 years time - that makes 2012 - next season!

As mentioned on another thread there have been 2 world champions who have had a season of F1 and then dropped out to take a test driver role for another year - Mika Hakkinen and Fernando Alonso - will Nico make it a hattrick?

Galahad
Its about making the most of your opportunities.. a good example is

Vettel Monza 2008 - won brilliantly from pole in the wet
Hulkenberg Brazil 2012 - gave both Mclarens real problems throughout the race and then made an ambitious overtake on Hamilton which did not come off cleanly which cost him the race win

Unfortunately for Hulkenberg every time he is mentioned he is always up against drivers who have wads of cash namely Maldonado - twice in his career

Theyve got decent people at race of champions this yr not scraping the barrel like last yr surprisingly as I thought Barbados in December wouldve been an easy sell but hulkenburg & vettel might as well hand them the nations cup now

This has been confirmed and I hope it is not because they were the only team to allow him to do Le Mans again because really his career is stagnating and needs a top car to put his career further up.. he should be racing with Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel for podiums and wins not scrapping for 5th place

there has been a lot of reasons why he does not get a top drive

i) Does not bring enough money
ii) Too tall for the regulations
iii) Not fast enough

iv) Probably the reason why he does not get a top drive - poor PR - Willi Weber who was Michael Schumacher's manager was once his manager. Whoever manages him aint knocking on the door hard enough on top teams like the Robertsons do for Kimi Raikkonen

What's gone wrong with Nico?

It seems like when he won Le Mans he suddenly transcended this to F1 and was mixing with the front runners and been touted for a Ferrari drive.

Since Raikkonen was announced for another season it seems to have coincided with a serious of bad races ( although one of them he could not start) and upturn in form from his teammate who is now leading him and outperforming him

I am curious to see how the Haas move turns out for Grosjean and where that will lead Romain's career. Grosjean's is in a similar position with his career as Hulkenberg and they have crossed paths a lot in junior formulae. It is a move that Hulkenberg was touted for and decided against it. I don't see the benefit of staying another season at Force India apart from stability but the team are not suddenly going to be front runners and regular podium finishers?

Hulkenburg has had a couple of very poor weeks since Singapore. Its not just that he's been beaten by Perez (which he is), but he seems to be running into everyone and everything.

No, I don't know why.

Hulkenburg needs to get his act together soon as he is getting Beaten by Perez on a regular basis, and if it carries on like this into next season, he will not get a front running seat for 2017 if one becomes available.

It just seems that Raikkonen announced at Ferrari 2016 has cursed him.

If you look at Hungary his wing broke

At Spa - he did not start

At Monza - he was 7th but beaten by Perez

At Singapore - he ran into Massa
At Suzuka - he put a great race to finish 6th
At Sochi - he crashed at the beginning
At Austin - he ran into Ricciardo but had a damaged wing

As Martin Brundle said he does not seem to make most of his opportunities when they turn up

I am just wondering with his mind set in sticking with Force India for another season because even though the Ferrari drive was not on , there was still a drive at Haas where he would have lined himself up for a potential Ferrari drive 2017. His old junior rival Grosjean decided it was worth the gamble and now could end up at Ferrari instead of him

Also he expressed his disappointment he can't do Le Mans again due to the new calendar by Bernie for 2016. He has to decide whether he wants to be F1 driver or WEC driver? If this is the only reason he turned down the Haas drive then I think he is starting to get written off as overrated and another one who was great at junior level but never quite did it in F1

I used to highly rate Hulkenberg following his junior formulae career, early F1 highlights such as getting pole for Williams in Brazil 2010 and used to think he'll make it to a top team. But he's been pretty anonymous in recent years, even with the Le Mans win it's unfortunately looking like he'll be a classic career midfield driver.

To me Hulkenberg has missed his opportunities and not put a strong enough case for a top drive

2012-2013 when he drove for Sauber showed he can be a front runner and when the top teams came calling he should have done more to get the seat

It just seems he can't even beat Perez this season which makes me wonder that we will probably not see him in F1 soon

He does not have loads a money but he has not managed his career well

Back
Top Bottom