Nelsinho Piquet's future (still) uncertain

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
There are rumours that Nelsinho Piquet may be replaced for the Hungarian GP.

Reading between the lines, he's complaining of unequal treatment for him and Alonso at Renault. How ironic...

Nelson Piquet's future with Renault remains uncertain after team boss Flavio Briatore said he could not confirm who would be driving his second car at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Piquet was surrounded by rumours that he could be dropped after the German race, having failed to score the necessary points that would have contractually guaranteed his slot with the team.

But despite Piquet expressing confidence over the weekend about his future, Briatore declined to confirm the future of his Brazilian driver following the Nurburgring event.

Full story here: Piquet's future remains uncertain

Well, we know Alonso must have uneven treatment or his team-mate might beat/challenge him and what a paddy he'd throw if that happened...!

Piquet will get fired now for beating Alonso in qualifying. He's not allowed to do that!

God help Alonso if Felipe beats him next year!

At any rate, Piquet has got nowhere near his team-mate, but how much of that is because Alonso is driving a different car?

Well the official test and reserve driver is Romain Grosjean so you would assume if Nelsinho was sacked it would be him.

Who knows though, maybe Bourdais would take over the seat after being let go by Toro Rosso ;)

I've just had visions of a Renault being driven by a Pastie but then I read Rick D's posting again. LOL

There was a throw away line in the Daily Express this morning that PK Jnr was also out for the next race but they didn't back it up with any thing else. I've had a look at another couple of dailys but can't find any further quotes.

Given that both Renaults aren't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment I don't see the benifit of a driver change now. It may be different at STR because Bourdais may have lost his motivation or his attitude may have put the team off him but it would seem that Jnr is still up for it. Out quallying Alonso would have been a good boost and he has shown very small ammounts of promise at times. If he is given the boot I don't see the 3rd driver coming in a making a huge difference to be honest.

If they reanimate Ayrton Senna and put him in that second car it won't make much difference. Nando wants his 8 tenths and he will not go without it!

As for PK, he has spent a little too much time on gravel and maybe Renault want to give Grosjean a chance. It'd be very good for Renault to have a French driver! They might want a driver with at least some experience for 2010 because we believe Alonso is on his way and Flav is unlikely to retain PK. So giving Grosjean some time in the car wouldn't serve them badly in that respect.

I think they'll want to bring in Baumgartner for another run at home :thumbsup: !

Nelson has apparently admitted that his future after Hungary is uncertain.

When asked if he would remain with the team for the remainder of the season, the Brazilian replied: "No, it is not 100 percent settled for the rest."
"There was just conflict, and contracts, and a conflict of egos between a few people, but it ended up with everything working well," the 23-year-old said. "The only thing I can do is drive, do my best and leave my father to do his job and see what he can do."
Please, not another mid-season driver change :(
It plays havoc with my charts...

Full story: Piquet unsure of Renault seat beyond Hungary

and leave my father to do his job and see what he can do."

Oh dear, I didn't realise it was that bad for PK Jnr. Given his dad was never first in the popularity stakes with fans, team mates, teams or the media it could be something of an up hill battle.

So when do we think he'll be replaced then and by whom?

Will he be gone before Belgium or Italy?
And will Renault really give Romain Grosjean a seat for the last third of the season?

I think if he doesn't deliver the goods this weekend then it's all over for him.

I have a feeling if Jnr puts in a good performance this weekend he could be in trouble as well. He's knackered in either direction. A poor performance gets him the boot and a good performance gets him an a team mate who suddenly sees him as an even bigger threat.

Renault are not on the pace but there isn't need to panic yet. Why replace a guy with front line experience of your car and races under his belt with a novice (in F1 terms) whos only knowledge of the car is in the sheltered enviroment of a test day.

While rumour and speculation will continue to plague PK for the remainder of the season I think he will still be there come the final day. At least that would be the option that makes the most sense which is something you could never accuse Renault of having in the past.

teabagyokel said:
Well, we know Alonso must have uneven treatment or his team-mate might beat/challenge him and what a paddy he'd throw if that happened...!

this is a bit unfair TBY. to many people, including myself, this is not what happened. the case for LH tricking nando in 2007 is massive actually. but thats another discussion.

i fear our nelson could be in a spot of bother indeed.

in a team preview by renault just after germany, piquet was quoted as saying 'points must be the target in hungary'.

not good... not good at all. cos i dont see him do this.

bogaTYR said:
teabagyokel said:

this is a bit unfair TBY. to many people, including myself, this is not what happened. the case for LH tricking nando in 2007 is massive actually. but thats another discussion.
I think its totally fair, this is the reason Alonso hasn't had a decent team mate since and the only reason Piquet got the drive in the first place.

Why do you think Heikki didn't stay at Renault?

bogaTYR said:
teabagyokel said:

Yeah, but Lewis didn't then sell his team out, leaking secret implicating documents (which I bet every damned team on the grid has) to the FIA. He didn't turn up on a Friday with muchas facial hair because Ron Dennis didn't like beards. He didn't do a Barrichello and mouthe off about unequal treatment when Alonso was given the Monaco win.

Alonso threw an absolute paddy in 2007 from the first to the last Grand Prix, and he lost the World Championship in doing so!

After today's race when Briatore left the circuit with 6 laps remaining and Nelsinho still driving, it's fairly clear that his time is all but up.

That act alone sums up Briatore's relationship with and opinion of Nelsinho.

Well, I doubt we'll see Piquet in Valencia Spa, Renault will be shot of him soon.

Unless, of course, Alonso can wiggle out of his Renault contract before Valencia in the likely event that Massa will be unavailable.

Back
Top Bottom