Name that car...

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Thought we could do with a new quiz, so what car is this (and no cheating and looking at the image properties)?

860.jpg

and for bonus points name the driver and year.

Well that's not a V8 DFV in the back that's for sure. Looks Like a V12 to me which is going to narrow the field some what.

Looking at the design it's going to be somewhere around 1971-72. Somewhere in that area.

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was a March but I'm not so sure now.

Using the power of the intertubes (as I had no idea at all!)

Is it a Tecno PA 123 ? (except one site says they used a V12 - so probably not)

Tecno-PA-123_3.jpg

Congrats to Spesh, it is indeed the Tecno PA123 driven by Nanni Galli in 1972. The websites I looked at said that it had a Tecno flat 12 - presumably inspired by Ferrari, although not as succesful :D

Yayz :D

This bit didn't make sense to me - is it a flat 12 or a V12 :?:

At that time the easiest way to enter F1 was to build a chassis ready to accept the Ford Cosworth DFV engine, which was competitive and readily available. Tecno tried it the hard way and set out to design both a new chassis and a new engine. Following a trend set by fellow Italians Mauro Forghieri and Carlo Chiti a flat 12 layout was chosen and like the Ferrari and Alfa Romeo units the Tecno was of a 180 degree V12 design. In the summer of 1971 the engine was tested on the bench and developed a decent 460 bhp at 11,000 rpm.

Is it my go then ;) (I've photshopped out the makers logo)

guess_what.jpg

I'm going to take a huge punt here and say that is a 1981 Alfa Romeo. (maybe 82 but looks more 81ish cos of the front wing and skirts). Guess it's either Andretti or was Bruno Giacomelli driving for them then?

On the other hand I could be talking total and utter coblers.

cider_and_toast said:
I'm going to take a huge punt here and say that is a 1981 Alfa Romeo. (maybe 82 but looks more 81ish cos of the front wing and skirts). Guess it's either Andretti or was Bruno Giacomelli driving for them then?

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin one LOL

Featured is 179.006, originally raced by Giacomelli in the 1980 and 1981 season. This arguably the most successful 179

bullseye_bully.jpg

Blimey. Pretty chuffed with that result.

Ok fact fans, 3 Part question.

1) What car is this?
2) Who is driving it?
3) This car marked the return of what?

Good luck :goodday:

Attachments

• CTA_Quiz.jpg
    CTA_Quiz.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 157
Ah, now this is my era.

1. Spirit 201C Honda
2. Stefan Johannson
3. The return of Honda to F1 as an engine supplier

Poor old Spirit were little more than a rolling test bed for the engine before Williams took over and Spirit were dropped. If I'm correct this car was effectivey their F2 chassis with the Honda turbo bolted in the back and was designed by Gordon Coppuck, the man who gave us the McLaren M23 amongst others.

So here's the next one - car & driver please.

Attachments

• Name the car.jpg
    Name the car.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 135
I've just realised that Spesh wasn't 100% accurate. The rather portly car I posted was in fact the Osella FA1 from 1980 not the FA1B from 1981. The even more unpleasent FA1B is shown below.

Miguel%20Angel%20%20Guerra%20Osella%20FA%201B.jpg

So no popcorn for Speshal tonight. One thing that made me laugh about Osella's car coding was that they eventually made an FA1L which, surprisingly, wasn't very reliable LOL

Back
Top Bottom