MotoGP MotoGP 2011 discussion

Mmm, this should be the first season I follow it all the way through after previously hampered attempts. Maybe there is a thing about that fact that it's Valentino Rossi the "GOAT" etc. and they want to help out their hero.
(of course if that is the case it's wrong)

Maybe when both bikes are up they just assumed they'd done their job. Being new to Moto GP and with no experience of marshalling maybe I'm not the best source, how often do bikes need a great deal of help once they're on two wheels?

I'm no expert but on track, every time! They usually have around 2/3 people helping push. I think it was Randy de Puniet that had a right tantrum at the marshall's because they weren't pushing fast enough to get him going again.

I can see why he's frustrated then, but it stil reeks of finding someone to blame, when Rossi's right there to be blamed already!

Is it possible, possibly, could it be plausible that the other bike (Stoner) was an after thought to the major job and distraction of helping out Rossi?

Next you'll be telling me there wasn't Ferrari team orders in Australia! :p

Yeah it's possible, Stoner seemed very pissed about the whole incident. I'll be interested to see what happens as a result of the FIM investigation. I can't see what the rules say about a restart.

:whistle: Maybe Massa just really, truly loves Fernando and thus doesn't need to be asked. Ever think about it like that?

Marshalls are volunteers anyway aren't they? What can be done to them? I don't think Moto GP has it's own prison system.

Perhaps outside assistance shouldn't be permitted, if it can't be given fairly to all?

Although that would effectively end the race of anyone who comes off due to the kill-switch.

Yeah they are, but marshals (in Britain anyway) are trained, independently assessed and I believe (may be wrong) that their experience and assessment results determine
a) Which categories they can marshal at
b) Where they are positioned

An important point maybe that a marshal's primary responsibility is safety but if there is an unfair advantage it being given to one over the other it should be addressed. Rossi was away whilst Stoner was desperately trying to get some help and the response did seem rather apathetic.

Perhaps outside assistance shouldn't be permitted, if it can't be given fairly to all?

Although that would effectively end the race of anyone who comes off due to the kill-switch.

I agree with that. It's interesting when comparing to F1, the riders quite often can make these mistakes and carry on, albeit from the back of the grid, but even then one has to wonder just how penalised Rossi was for what was his error. He still ended up fifth and that was after being wedged under another bike.

Well I am beginning to be turned slightly. The more it turns to the post lifting-the-bikes-up reaction the more it seems they were a little, shall we say, ignorant of Stoner's plight.

However even if he had got more guys pushing him, would that have stopped his retirement from occuring? (genuine question from a Moto GP novice)

I agree with that. It's interesting when comparing to F1, the riders quite often can make these mistakes and carry on, albeit from the back of the grid, but even then one has to wonder just how penalised Rossi was for what was is error. He still ended up fifth and that was after being wedged under another bike.

I'd quite like to see an f1 car slide upside down with another car on top of it with the driver sliding alongside it and carry on to finish fifth, purely for the "WTF!?" factor.

Well I am beginning to be turned slightly. The more it turns to the post lifting-the-bikes-up reaction the more it seems they were a little, shall we say, ignorant of Stoner's plight.

However even if he had got more guys pushing him, would that have stopped his retirement from occuring? (genuine question from a Moto GP novice)

They got Rossi going again and there was no damage to Stoner's bike so it was certainly possible.

Yep, you've changed my opinion. Whether or not it would have worked they shouldn't have been so negligent as they are in a priveliged position as marshals.

He needed a push to get the bike started, one guy was never going to manage it. It was quite obvious at the time that he wasn't getting the help he needed even after Rossi was back on two feet - ruined a potentially great battle!

Yep, you've changed my opinion. Whether or not it would have worked they shouldn't have been so negligent as they are in a priveliged position as marshals.
He needed a push to get the bike started, one guy was never going to manage it. It was quite obvious at the time that he wasn't getting the help he needed even after Rossi was back on two feet - ruined a potentially great battle!

Yeah you have to push start it almost like a car with a low battery. But it does take some man power todo it. Its because the engine shuts its self off because it might do more damage to the engine, gravel being sucked into the air intake being one example.

Cannot really say im too disapointed that the marsalls didn't help stoner, Yeah its unfair. But i cannot stand him, he's a whinging little ninny. Feel so sorry for Edwards though i really wanted to see him on the poduim. I have to say though, a bit narked how people are calling it a classic, i pefer to see more 'racing' rather then people falling off.

Moto 2 and 125cc was better though, What is it about the Moto 2, it seems like half the time its better to qualify 20something then get pole. And jeez i feel sorry for marquez and how he just got punted up the backside.

I've not been watching MotoGP long but I'm taking a liking to the moody li'l Spaniard who won today.
Make sure you take a look at Moto2 and the 125s mate; usually one of the three races will be bonkers, often two and sometimes all three. Plenty of "li'l Spaniards" for you.

Back
Top Bottom