• 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RET

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
I though this deserved a thread of its own considering how big an announcement it is.

Ferrari have confirmed Michael Schumacher will replace Felipe Massa at Valencia and for any further races until he is fit enough to return.

"The most important thing first: thanks God, all news concerning Felipe are positive. I wish him all the best again," said Schumacher.

"I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.

"Though it is true that the chapter Formula 1 has been closed for me since long and completely, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am, I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."
I'm shocked.
After the interview with Michael last week in which he stated he had no desire to race again, I never expected this.

Having said that, it will be great to see MS battling on track with LH and FA (assuming MS does more than 1 race) now that all 3 cars are similar in terms of performance.
What a shame it's going to be at Valencia though which is possibly the worst circuit on the current calendar.

A bit of a kick in the teeth for Luca Badoer and Marc Gene too.
They must realise now that their roles in Ferrari are strictly limited to the test track.

I wonder what Kimi thinks... :D

I suspect Bernie and the Valencia GP promoters are extremely pleased with this news bearing in mind ticket sales were only about 30% before Renault's ban.

Wow I just turned on my computer to find this amazing piece of breaking news

I never expected it at all. But this is a guy who people have seem to forgotten loves motorsport, I think he sees just as doing something he loves to help out his old team.

I just wonder about the reported neck injury though

Here's a link for people who think this is april fools :p

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77418

*EDIT*

On second thought Im am not that suprised lets look at the other names linked

Badoer: Hasn't raced in 10 years
Gene: Treated like a spare part at times by Ferrari
Alonso: Ferrari contract unconfirmed, if true Flavio was never going to release him early
Bouradis: F1 reputation shattered like a piece of delicate glass, Only linked because of his manager Nick Todt (son of ex Ferrari boss Jean)
Couthard: just press getting a little excited maybe, decent track record and not long into retirement but unlikely as hell and if true would need permission from RedBull

Schumacher's only cons was weather he wanted to comeback and questions about a neck injury,
seemed like one of those things, he still obviously has a passion for motorsport and f1 and with his close relations to ferrari, he was always more then 'just another driver' always seemed possible that he could get himself fit for one last crack to help his team out at a difficult time

Bernie must be rubbing his hands together with glee.

Too be honest I never thought I would say this but I am genuinely excited for the Valencia GP. How will Schuemy cope? Hammy is on a hi after his win in Hungary and will now get a chance to face one of the best of all time. Yes he's been out of GPs for two years, yes he's not as fit as he once was and yes he is pushing 40 but he wouldn't be doing it if he didn't think he could and he is after all, Michael Schumacher. Now I was an "Any one but Schuemy" guy when he was racing (and definatly after Mika (best of the last generation of Lotus drivers) Hakinen retired) but it's still going to be interesting to watch how he gets on. Is this going to be a one off or will he be in the car for the rest of the season if Massa is unable to return?

My honest prediction is he will qually in the top 6 and then finish outside of the podium but in the points if the car dosn't let him down.

Bring on Valencia, Now who would have thought we would be saying that a week ago. LOL

Blimey! I didn't see that coming at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if he won, you know...

Poor Marc Gene, though. He must wonder why he's bothered these past years.

GordonMurray said:
Blimey! I didn't see that coming at all.
Neither did his manager, Willi Weber LOL

Willi Weber said:
Schumacher’s manager Willi Weber confirmed that there would not be a sudden return.

After having talks with the German on Monday in Geneva, it was confirmed that whoever sits in the famous red car at Valencia, will not be Ferrari’s most decorated hero.

“I am not 100 per cent sure, I am 200 per cent sure,” Weber said.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS crashes out of the race 3/4 way through due to lack of fitness, but I hope he does well enough to get back into the swing of things and have a few storming races - imagine, in the same team as one of his old rivals, we'll know when MS has clicked into gear when he starts competing with Kimi.

I want to see the LH/MS battle, but I'm not going to hold my breath for Valencia - poor fitness on a rubbish concrete lined circuit.....

:cheer:

why does no one pay attention to little me?

i already wrote a few days ago it would be schumie!

:)

i feel very very unread right now!

no one can set up a car like michael and no one has the experience he has. this is actaully a great great opportunity for ferrari to really get the season going. plus the advantage of simply having der schumie on the grid. awesome!

@ Boga - you weren't the only one LOL

From the "who will replace Flippa" thread

Speshal said:
I'd like to see Schumacher but it's "probably" not going to happen - although in this topsy turvy world we live in you never know

Hedging my bets you see.

What ever next - Ralf in the 2nd Renault LOL

Didn't Schumacher retire because he wasn't winning? I bet* he won't finish any higher than this years drivers have all season... :snacks:

Just because it's Schumie, doesn't mean that all of a sudden the Ferrari has become a great car. Think back to when he first went to the scarlet team. It took a few years for him to make a difference. I confidently predict a satisfyingly mediocre race from the red baron!* ;)

* I have been known to be wrong before, so don't follow my advice kids...

In 2006 MS was there to be World Champ in the No1 team, this year Ferrari are targeting 3rd, out of the three drivers they can use he's quite probably the best chance they have for points, and they're trying to beat Toyota, Williams and McLaren - so the pitch battle he's set for is vs LH.

Having said that, his No1 driver will be Kimi, and with an 18 point start and a drivers contract for next year I can't see that changing - MS is a tactical appointment for the team results and I can't see he'd have accepted the challenge under any other circumstances - as has been said, he is 40 and has spent two years away from racing.

I wonder if he is receiving any additional payment on top of his consultancy contract?

I would have thought so.

Can I just point out, in a very smug and self satisfied tone, that the one vote for Schumie in the "Who will replace Felipe thread" was from me :thankyou:

Just coz I'm feeling left out - at the age of five I told my mother that a great motor racing driver was about to be born and he was going to be called michael....

She just took back the cooking sherry, smacked me around the head and told me the nativity was no joking matter - bloody woman!

Only Michael Schumacher could make us feel excited for Valencia! Fantastic news and absolutely the right decision! Choosing Schumacher who's only had a few months more out of an f1 car than Badoer and Gene is logical.... plus the fact that he's won 91 races and 7 world titles.

I know it sounds soppy but Schumacher is my hero and it's the best news I could have ever hoped for.

right, cooled down a bit and had time to think about this.

the return of michael makes sense to me cos:

1. it concerns massa.
i understand ferrari is at times like a clan. what happened to massa, who is much liked both inside and outside the team, has been very emotional for ferrari. michael still is vey much a part of the team and the clan. having him in the car means something to the team. none of the test drivers can give this.

2. the way the season is going.
this is not the best season for the scudera. so they need something special to lift their hopes and motivation. how much better can you get then having schumacher in the car? even if this whole thing will turn out to be a big frce, then still the moral effect on the team can be huge. again, none of the test drivers can deliver this.

3. the car.
the F60 is not the best. also there is a ban on testing. schumacher is known to be able to understand and set up cars like no one else. nothing stops the team from using schumacher in valencia as a test driver to get that car working better.

myself, i would not be surprised if michael would lead the field and maybe even go for the win. cos personally i see no reasons why not. but even if michael will be lower down the grid, the input about the car and the boost to the team will be just massive. just imagine how the ferrari mechanics feel right now. from that point of view the mission is already successful.

Funny isn't it, Just as the organisors were complaining that without Renault the race could be a wash out we get the announcement that the 7 time world champions is to make a comeback to cover for Massa. Well that should boost the viewing figures.

:whistle:

exactly CaT, just the idea michael schumacher will be there already means so much. too bad its valencia, spa would have been so much better. but still... would be intereesting to see what the additional viewing audience will be.

great what michael writes on his site: "glad to help out". the understatement of the year.

Back
Top Bottom